RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   New Next Gen ELMod Boards Coming Out (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11694953-new-next-gen-elmod-boards-coming-out.html)

Rad_Schuhart 11-17-2021 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik (Post 12703066)
Well for the gear shifting that is fairly easy too, just set up dual rates to limit max travel. If you are lucky and have something like OpenTX you can set multiple D/R settings and have as many gears as you want in theory right?
I know this bypasses the momentum and/or inertia but once again its an easy way to shift gears and with some expo it can definitely help with softening the middle of the stick range.

Is not that simple, and is not like the virtual gear change system that I had the idea to use for the Open panzer board, this gear change needs to change at the same point that the Elmod makes the clutch and motor sounds. It is, definitelly complicated, and more if you consider 99% tankers have never heard about "OpenTx" but anyway, if you are getting one board, I recommend you to get the Fusion Pro version. And if you can really synch radio wizzardy with the elmod sounds and drive the tank exactly as the board does; I'd really want to see the how to, there is always something else to learn!

Imex-Erik 11-17-2021 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart (Post 12703068)
Is not that simple, and is not like the virtual gear change system that I had the idea to use for the Open panzer board, this gear change needs to change at the same point that the Elmod makes the clutch and motor sounds. It is, definitelly complicated, and more if you consider 99% tankers have never heard about "OpenTx" but anyway, if you are getting one board, I recommend you to get the Fusion Pro version. And if you can really synch radio wizzardy with the elmod sounds and drive the tank exactly as the board does; I'd really want to see the how to, there is always something else to learn!

Yea at that point you might want to look into something like a Voltage to PWM converter right? Then you could just go from that board to an ESC and "technically" it should work (like that ever happens first try in hobbies right?).

lposter 11-18-2021 01:03 PM

I admit external ESCs may not be popular but on a heavy 1:16 tank or a 1:10...... 15 A isnt that much really.....ELmod is stuck in 1:16 world maybe?

The Open Panzer boards had external ESCs as a selling point! Thats why I have three.

So they cannot be that unpopular...... And popular or not....Id rather have the option and not need it than need it and not have it.

P

Tankster 11-18-2021 01:07 PM

No servo connections is a total deal breaker for me.

bowlman 11-18-2021 05:48 PM

They do have Expander cards for SBus , Battle Apples and Servos

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...6a3f192b45.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...a3fdafbc75.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...2ed231e6ec.jpg

ronnie42 11-19-2021 02:47 AM

This new boards main advantage is its a smaller unit, not having servos on the board has lead to some confusion . Its amazing how rumours spread, i wonder how may people scrolled down Bowlmans Elmod link and stopped at the image of the board and and dismissed it, never read on about its other modules.:o Just shows you how the internet works .

Crius 11-19-2021 02:52 AM

I did look at everything that goes with it and I have always thought the elmod boards were overpriced, and now they made it so you have to buy the main board for 235 euros and then the accessory boards which are anywhere from 12 to 40 euros. Since I have to drive at least 900 miles to get to a tank Battlefield I think I'll just stick with the h l 6.0 series. Much cheaper, does everything I need it to do, and I don't have to buy anything extra for it.

ronnie42 11-19-2021 03:36 AM

Hi Crius Yes they are expensive , for me its the way the program works . Getting the tanks to behave like a miniature version of the real one is why i buy them .The Bieir ones have good reviews ,but i run a Mac and its a joy to program via the Elmod app. Bieir are windows , had an IBU and never liked its software. Beier are also into the add-on game. For all the upmarket boards its looking like its going to be a base board and modules to improve features in the future. I bought one of the old Fusion PRO units a few weeks ago, i f i had known about the new ones i would have waited.

oldwolf75 11-19-2021 04:17 AM

Whenever a new version of something comes out I first remember that no one likes change, we are all Luddites at heart.
Second, I try to consider the maker’s viewpoint. This, of course, is always a bit of guess work. Previously they had two fusion boards: eco for one servo and pro for three servos. They had no option for having no servos. One thing I have noticed over the years is that people hate to buy features they have no intention of using. I wonder how often they heard from people saying they liked the boards except they had no intention to use servos and would buy if only they sold a board without servo ports. I know, people can just ignore the servo support, but many don't think that way. Buying a feature they wont use just grates on them. The same goes for other features that came lumped in the eco/pro boards.
Now servo support and a number of additional light features are added with an additional small board for those that want them.
Another add on small battle board supports all the major makers where I believe they sold three different add on boards before.
One very nice thing is the significant decrease in the size of the new boards. Something I suspect I will appreciate as the next model I am working on is a t-34.
From their company’s viewpoint the changes seem reasonable. How well they have judged their market, time will tell. I plan to try one of the new boards in the new year.

Michal_Kaczorowski 11-19-2021 04:22 AM

In my opinion new verisio nis addressed mainly to Heng Long and Taigen owners for simple plug and play swap.

Rad_Schuhart 11-19-2021 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ronnie42 (Post 12703305)
This new boards main advantage is its a smaller unit, not having servos on the board has lead to some confusion . Its amazing how rumours spread, i wonder how may people scrolled down Bowlmans Elmod link and stopped at the image of the board and and dismissed it, never read on about its other modules.:o Just shows you how the internet works .

Disagree. I have read the entire website and then downloaded the manuals and read them too, including even the accesories manuals, and definitelly this new elmod board is worse than the oldest version and very expensive. The beier is way way superior in every aspect. Like me, many forum members, specially from germany who have both boards, are writting the same. There is not a single thing that the elmod board does better than the Beier, or at least, I cannot find it. If the main advantage of this new elmod unit is being smaller... well, I the Beier SFR 1 HL is even smaller, doing much more.

bowlman 11-19-2021 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ronnie42 (Post 12703308)
Hi Crius Yes they are expensive , for me its the way the program works . Getting the tanks to behave like a miniature version of the real one is why i buy them .The Bieir ones have good reviews ,but i run a Mac and its a joy to program via the Elmod app. Bieir are windows , had an IBU and never liked its software. Beier are also into the add-on game. For all the upmarket boards its looking like its going to be a base board and modules to improve features in the future. I bought one of the old Fusion PRO units a few weeks ago, i f i had known about the new ones i would have waited.

I got one last spring for my M51 Sherman i've not started on yet could of waited myself but will get the new board an its expanders for my next build after the M51 I do have a extra Open Panzer board i've not used yet and one that first came out with the bad lighting chips could use on a none battle vehicle .
Thanks
Jimmy

Tankster 11-19-2021 02:02 PM

I realize that my opinion on this board probably has very little importance but having absolutely no servo outputs on a modern board is stupid as hell. I love my Elmod Fusion Pro for my Initial Production Tiger 1 but my Civil War gunboat has a Beier Board and any future tanks I may end up getting will have Beier boards as well.

oldwolf75 11-20-2021 03:15 AM

Anyone have a link to the Beier boards and perhaps to a representative of Beier in the US?

Rad_Schuhart 11-20-2021 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by oldwolf75 (Post 12703433)
Anyone have a link to the Beier boards and perhaps to a representative of Beier in the US?

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/...beier-sfr-1-d/

oldwolf75 11-20-2021 08:53 AM

Thank you, sir.

lposter 11-20-2021 11:07 AM

If his control boards are as good as his sound units......then I may one day just blow a load of cash on one of his combined boards.

Ive never had a better sound card than his.

P

ronnie42 11-20-2021 02:25 PM

We all know Bieir made their name with sounds for the Tamiya truck and construction RC models and associated lighting features . Having umpteen circuits may be fine for a truck but tanks? A truck with trailer could have at least 10 lighting circuits .I will wait and see if a Mac App is available , not going to buy a WINDOWS laptop for programming. 2 problems for me the cheaper HL looks like it does not support the Tamiya recoil and on reviews the dearer one is costing about 340 euros (price of package from the review ) and you need a mini board with resistors for lighting. Now rather than telling us how good the board is Rad and Tankster could have posted a video of the boat and tank to show the plus points of Bieir units . Loading sounds onto a board that allows you to import sounds is very easy with the Audacity program , just import a sound and covert to WAV .

Tankster 11-20-2021 03:21 PM

Sure thing. Here’s a short boring video I made quite a while back after temporarily installing the Beier into my Tiger just to try out the slow speed control and sound. I would say it’s driving realism is pretty much on par with my Elmod Fusion Pro. However I decided to save the Beier for my Civil War gunboat project because it has tons of lighting (for all the cannon flashes) and already comes with a cool steamboat engine sound. The gunboat model is far from finished. Plus I already have my Elmod fine tuned just the way I like it for my Tiger.
And here she is with the Elmod Fusion Pro.

ronnie42 11-23-2021 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tankster (Post 12703521)
Sure thing. Here’s a short boring video I made quite a while back after temporarily installing the Beier into my Tiger just to try out the slow speed control and sound. I would say it’s driving realism is pretty much on par with my Elmod Fusion Pro. However I decided to save the Beier for my Civil War gunboat project because it has tons of lighting (for all the cannon flashes) and already comes with a cool steamboat engine sound. The gunboat model is far from finished. Plus I already have my Elmod fine tuned just the way I like it for my Tiger.
https://youtu.be/HFnSmFDnikc
And here she is with the Elmod Fusion Pro.
https://youtu.be/Qx0DFZNpU9w

Well done for posting a video. A picture is worth thousand words , a video even more. The gunboat will be good subject for the Bieir board , cannons and gun hatches will be amazing if they are in sync and are you going to power it with a paddlewheel ?

Tankster 11-23-2021 03:43 PM

No paddle wheel. I’m using twin screw propulsion because I’m a lazy m f’er. I will spend most effort on upper deck details. I have two water proof servos for the twin rudders which are a bit oversized for better steering control. This is my first and probably last rc boat. Scratch building can be exhausting at best! The Beier board should provide all the goodies I need. I’m a slow modeler but will post any advances in the build process as they develop. Any criticism will be appreciated. I have to give Rad Schuhart credit for the Beier board purchase. His word is good as gold in my opinion. Never has let me down.

ronnie42 11-30-2021 07:21 AM

All this bad press about inertia / momentum with Elmod boards watch this. Wired up the led for the rear reflector as a brake light. Braking or is it deactivating inertia ? easy to control you just push the drive stick in opposite direction. Elmod never needed a switch on or off for the inertia as the drive stick does it .

Rad_Schuhart 11-30-2021 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by ronnie42 (Post 12704751)
All this bad press about inertia / momentum with Elmod boards watch this. Wired up the led for the rear reflector as a brake light. Braking or is it deactivating inertia ? easy to control you just push the drive stick in opposite direction. Elmod never needed a switch on or off for the inertia as the drive stick does it . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMa2XfZwFY

Yes, obviously while driving slow, it breaks fast, but still it took several centimeters (I'd say at least 5) to be completelly stopped. Now drive full throttle (yes, once the board reaches the maximum speed at the virtual third gear), brake, and lets see if it brakes instantly, or at least like all Tamiya tanks do, and share it with us. My bet is if it took you 5cm to break while driving slow, it will take you 30 cm when full speed. That and more is what It takes that to me, and sometimes, that is absolutelly UNNACEPTABLE.

I drive 90% of the time like you did in your video, but sometimes I have to drive full speed while at meetings. For example one local guy has a 1/15 diorama so big, that only one bridge that is in one side of the diorama is 9 meters long. In those cases and with plenty of other (mainly truck) drivers around, you need to adequate your speed and brakes to the traffic or you cause accidents. Or for example when my children drive. Or tell the Danvile guys they cannot brake when they want, and tell them it will take them 5 seconds changing between fowards to reverse.

Oh, and almost forgot, you are driving over a super smooth suface at home. If you drive over rough surfaces the driving experience suffers a lot and makes it very hard to control. Nobody in the loads of meetings I had here, wanted to have an Elmod after trying mine in the forest, mud or things like that, and even preffered their heng long 6 and 7. And I insist, I like inertia and momentum, I really love realistic driving, but sometimes I need to disable it and be able to drive it like a plain Tamiya tank or normal ESC, and that is not possible. That reminds me something it happened in an important meeting like 300kms away. I had configured my tank for driving super smooth while at home, a real pleasure to drive. Well, I arrived to that scale diorama put my tank on it, and I found I was unable to move because the floor was made of rough earth. I had to press too much throttle and it did not move until it jumped almost full gas, undriveable and unenjoyable. Of course that event was ruined for me, and the way to try to prevent that situatuion was to get the bluetooth module (25 eur + almost 20 shipping!) to be able to adjust the settings on the fly in the meetings, because again, there was no way to disable those inertias and momentums.

So, Ronnie, creating a video like this, is misleading but I want to believe you just did not have the experiences I related above.

Oh, and almost forgot, if somebody wants an Elmod Fusion Pro rev F with bluetooth module, I have mine for sale. That will fund me another Beier.

ronnie42 11-30-2021 10:42 AM

Hi Rad Yes a smooth surface is easier for the rc tank, rough or grass will cut the inertia distance travelled. I have never told anyone how to drive an rc tank, the video was to show that Elmod gives you options for driving styles. Will stick with ELmod as I have had a good read through the Bieir manual. 2 issues for me , one if you use a 3c battery Bieir recommend fitting a fan and they have a chart for selecting resistors to match the voltage input. That would be a big no for me, the lighting plugin might not work changing from a 2c to 3c battery.

Crius 11-30-2021 12:35 PM

Here's what I don't understand - I have several ibu2 pros and I absolutely love them. On that board, it's a simple stick command, just press the left stick up and left and hold it for 5 seconds and that will turn the momentum on. The momentum also works pretty good on that, but not quite as good as the El mod with the gear changes and all that. And when I don't want the momentum feature, upper left for 5 seconds and I've got complete and total control. I don't understand why it was so difficult for them to keep that feature. Or put it back. It's been proven that it can be done, so what's the problem? If any of those guys ever bothered to read any of the forums they would know this. If any of our Forum members personally know any of these guys, like Ivano or the guy that makes the el mods, I think we would all appreciate it if you would contact him and pass that along. It can be done, so why aren't we doing it? And if anyone has an ibu2 Pro that has been proven to work well and wants to sell it, just send me a private message, I'm always looking for those. And to be fair, if I don't want it, Rich Johnson will. :p