Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

ESC problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:35 PM
leeroy321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC problem

HELP!!!!!! please.. My son has just started with RC cars. We bought him an electric Jamara Toxic. The problem is that the esc from new has allways been strange!!!
The battery that came with the car was an 1800 Nimah so we were surprised when it only lasted about 5 mins when he was playing with it. We then charged the battery
and it only lasted about 30 seconds before it stopped and a green flashing light came on inside the car. we have bought 3 more larger batteries since but the problem
seems to come and go. We took it back to the shop, but it did not happen for him. We were given a capacitor to plug in and were told this could solve the problem, but,
it has not. Today he ran it for 20 mins and there was no problem, he changed to another fully charged battery and after 10 secs or so it failed, and again was showing
the green flashing light on the ESC. Please can you help us as we are new to this and my son is getting very very "hissed off" with it.. Thanks in anticipation
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ESC problem

I assume this is the brushless version? Nimh batteries (especially such small ones as 1800mAh) are not adequate to drive brushless motors. I expect the problem is that the ESC has a low voltage cutoff for lipo batteries? If that's the case, it is likely to also be the problem. You see, when you employ a lipo battery, it is critical that it doesn't discharge beyond a certain point, so we program that point into the ESCs (manufacturers do as well), it is usually 3v per cell for example. Since the ESC on its own can't understand if it has a lipo or a nimh battery plugged in, it treats the nimh battery the same way. This is a problem because nimh batteries will drop below 6v under heavy load, especially with the weaker smaller batteries, and the ESC is cutting off before the battery is depleted.

Either that or the ESC or possibly the battery itself, has a serious problem.

For what its worth, you really should take the plunge for a lipo setup. It's light years ahead of nimh. More runtime, more power, more speed, everything, just a little pricey in the first instance, but its stuff you only buy once at least.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:10 AM
leeroy321

Thanks Foxy for the reply. Looks like the wallet is coming out again!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 PM
JoeMaxx

Looking at the Truck online you probably should invest in a LiPo Battery pack as Foxy says.You can choose your MAH on the battery pack I would probably look atleast something with a25crating2S battery packor higher for this truggy. Looking at the specs I am not sure the60 AMP ESC and 420 WattBrushless motoris LiPo compatible and ones that are can be programed for LiPo battery packs than have an automatic cut off point on battery voltage once they hit between 3.2 and 3.4 Volts per cell on a 2s battery pack. Read your manual on this and see if you can program the ESCfor LiPo battery packs.

The Crating on LiPo battery packs is a continuous drain rating this is a good video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWixnDjUyss

You will alsorequire a Charger for the LiPo battery packs that can handle these style batteries. If you use the wrong charger LiPo packs cancatch fire so I generally also suggest a battery charge bag to go along with it.SInce I am in the USA I really cannot pointyou to places that sell this stuff.

As Foxy says it is a one time investment and these LiPo battery packs are awesome. I run the 5000 Mah 40c2S battery packs and get between 30 to 40 minutes of run time with them on a 3900Kv motor.The higher the Crating the better the battery pack can handle bursts in draining of the battery pack. The MAh is how long the battery pack will run as you can see the with the factory battery pack is way undersized for this Truggy.More is always better but I understand not everyone has a huge wallet whenbuying batteries. I am guessing this is a 3650Kv motor looking atthis web site

http://www.swiftrc.co.uk/jamara-toxi...ghz-5876-p.asp

There is also care of the battery packs when notusing them LiPo battery packs should be stored withbetween 3.6 and 3.8 voltsper cell. Some more expensive chargers have a store setting onthem myOnyx 245Dual battery chargerdoes not so I created a 4Bulb dischargerusing Automotive Blinker/parking lightsthan soldered a banana plug to them and use a LiPo battery pack Balancer to view the voltage asmy battery packs drain than stop draining them once they hitbetween 3.6 and 3.8 volts per cell. I own on of these

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAEPR&P=ML

Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 AM
leeroy321

Thanks for that JoeMaxx. We have returned it to the shop and they have kept it to have a look at it.
Will post what they say and do.. Thanks again