Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Bigger is better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 12:43 PM
nitrosportdecals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger is better?

New to truggies. I own a Jammin crt, was wondering what to do about a motor. What are rules or restrictions on motors? I want to eventually step up to serious racing. What are the different classes and restrictions? Would I limit myself by using a bigger motor, or should I go with one of the competition 21's? I own a Picco 26, would this get me banned from certain classes? Is there a class for truggies only? I know of the one obvious Unlimited monster truck, what are some others?
Old 12-25-2005, 01:38 PM
kidd

Default RE: Bigger is better?

truggys fall under the umt class. the rules are pretty wide open this year. the most restrictive rule is that you have to stay under a .28. that .26 you have would work perfect. in my opinion put a 2 chamber pipe on it with a light clutch and heavy clutch springs would be a sweet setup.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:51 AM
nitrosportdecals

truggys fall under the umt class. the rules are pretty wide open this year. the most restrictive rule is that you have to stay under a .28. that .26 you have would work perfect. in my opinion put a 2 chamber pipe on it with a light clutch and heavy clutch springs would be a sweet setup.
Thanx for the reply Kidd. And whats this about an arena truck class? The Jammin CRT comes with an aluminum clutch setup and the heavy gold springs. As for a pipe, I have JP-1, should I be using the JP-2?
Old 12-26-2005, 07:05 AM
ferdi from Germany

IMHO the clutch you use is as responsible for good accelaration as is the engine / pipe combination.

I would say that with a high torque engine with a heavily engaging clutch with little slippage, a pipe that further increases low end torque will only lead to spinning wheels and no increase in traction. I have heard that the best possible offroad traction occurs when you keep the spinning of the wheels under 20% - that means the wheels should turn no faster than actual car speed plus 20%. After discussing things with friends and drivers in different forums, including this one, I just decided for a JP-2 instead of a JP-1.

Big displacement engines are great have enough low end for (comparatively light weight) truggies and can use a pipe that helps with the mid to hi rpm range. This is especially true for 3 port engines. In a heavy monster truck things look different because you may need all the torque you can get.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:49 PM
GAPoneRCracing

So you are saying that you cannot run a .28 engine in the UMT class????
Old 12-27-2005, 12:26 AM
nitrosportdecals

Thanx for the informative info Ferdi. So how does this sound? Gold clutch springs to bring the rpm's up a bit before engaging the clutch (sounds like it should help low end, yes no?) and a JP-2 for top end power. The current setup (Mach 28, JP-1, gold springs, 7/10/5) does induce major drift style driving. I get on but I'm not consistent enough to win any races. I'm going to change up diff oils in favor of something lighter in the center and heavier in the front, switch to a JP-2 and let you all know whats up. In the meantime, I sold off my Mach 28 in favor of a more high end motor, I'm going to run a Picco 26 till I get into an RB or Nova 28.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:29 AM
ferdi from Germany

Yes that sounds good to me. There is no track where I live so my experience is not race proven, but I also changed to lighter diff oils center and rear. I used to run 10k, 30k, 3k in my SUT but found it accented the rear axis too much on lose surfaces, it was difficult to control, a little like a 2WD.
Now I switched to Torsen (Fioroni Storm Traction), 10k, grease and am waiting for the &%$(!!! snow to melt to test that setup.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:32 PM
2fast2slow

so you can have a .28 to race in the ULT Class, right
Old 12-28-2005, 03:07 AM
MonkeyRC

ORIGINAL: 2fast2slow
so you can have a .28 to race in the ULT Class, right
Absolutely. You can run any engine up to a .28.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 AM
2fast2slow

So how do you think a race prep. Mayhem ST will do with the STS .28, which puts out 3.6hp, and 40,000 rpm
Old 12-28-2005, 10:20 AM
indica

ORIGINAL: 2fast2slow

So how do you think a race prep. Mayhem ST will do with the STS .28, which puts out 3.6hp, and 40,000 rpm
depends on which direction you point it.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:06 AM
2fast2slow

what do you mean by that
Old 12-28-2005, 12:51 PM
JEXTEL
My Feedback: (1)

if the driver is good..the mayhem will be unstoppable

if the driver is bad you won't even make laps
Old 12-28-2005, 05:25 PM
crazysavage

I run a Jammin CRT with a RB Concept, TM928. This engine makes monster tourque on the low end. I use a JP1. The CRT hooks up like no other truck on the market. For racing with the best drivers you need to be able to come off of corners and clear big jumps in a hurry so run that .26 with a JP1. You have to learn when to drive smooth and when to let it rip, thats why the transmitter has a trigger. As for the Mayhem ST, it is a potential race winner but it has a short wheel base so if the track is smooth with mild jumps they are hard to beet but the front tires balloon very badly and that causes the need to run very heavy diff fluid in the center, like 50K. The guys that run fluid this heavy lose the advantage of having a center diff and handling suffers in the rough and in tight bumpy corners. When someone comes out with an extended chassis for the Mayhem ST, get it. The sportwerks .26 engine in this truck will run with anything out there and it is good on fuel mileage and it holds a pretty good tune.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 PM
2fast2slow

But is there any way to put 23mm wheels on the Mayhem ST
Old 12-28-2005, 10:13 PM
imdjenk

The sportwerks 26 is a stupid fast motor, for like two gallons though. I guess it's worth it for $100, I may get a second one. As far as truck classes, would running a .21 like the P5 have an advantage for fuel economy in a race? I have to gas up my SW 26 twice to every one time the guys with the 21's gas up.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:17 PM
2fast2slow

but you probably have more pwoer than them, which allow you to get around coners faster
Old 12-28-2005, 11:08 PM
nitrosportdecals

But is there any way to put 23mm wheels on the Mayhem ST
Yes I believe there is, look for an adapter kit for the revo that fits it for use with 23 mm wheels. I'm fairly certain that it'll work with the mayhem. Or you could try the spacers that fit over the 14mm hub effectively stepping it up to a 17mm size. Then I would suggest the Ofna wheels that come with the Jammin CRT, they are light and offer plenty of offset for a wider wheelstance
Now I switched to Torsen (Fioroni Storm Traction), 10k, grease and am waiting for the &%$(!!! snow to melt to test that setup.
Ferdster my man, I don't know how you do it!!! That sounds like hell on earth, a nicely built rig, new setup, spit and polish I'm pretty sure, AND TWO FEET OF FRIGGIN SNOW ON THE GROUND!! That is the equivalent of a playboy model stripping down in my room,drunk,but she's got herpes or something. You just can't do it, so close yet so far away!! Sounds like you need to pack your s%*t and come race in sunny South Florida, we have a few tracks at our disposal. Sorry, had to let loose on that one
As for the Mayhem ST, it is a potential race winner but it has a short wheel base so if the track is smooth with mild jumps they are hard to beet but the front tires balloon very badly and that causes the need to run very heavy diff fluid in the center, like 50K. The guys that run fluid this heavy lose the advantage of having a center diff and handling suffers in the rough and in tight bumpy corners. When someone comes out with an extended chassis for the Mayhem ST, get it.
Amen. After my switch from the Storm SUT to the Jammin CRT, I wondered how I made due all that time. I'm not knocking the Storm or the Mayhem, but after experiencing the benefits that a longer wheelbase affords, I can never go back.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:42 AM
ferdi from Germany

I will suggest moving to Florida to my wife and kids so I can go racing all year.

You don't accidentally need any German teachers over there? I also teach English, Philosophy and drama...

BTW I'd like to change my signature but can't find the way to do it.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
2fast2slow

oh, you are a teacher, for what grade, or are you in a college?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:46 PM
nitrosportdecals

I will suggest moving to Florida to my wife and kids so I can go racing all year.

You don't accidentally need any German teachers over there? I also teach English, Philosophy and drama...
The majority are too stupid to learn German. Drama? Too much drama to begin with. Philosophy? If you can somehow find a way to spin the concept of gold digging, drug abuse, narcissism, backstabbing and Clan rallies into an interesting pholosophical format, then perhaps you can teach philosophy in South Fla. I did leave out the fact the presentation would have to be in such layman terms, imagine trying to teach a pack of ferrets.
You could try teaching people English, how to speak read and write it.. (God I love it here)
Old 12-29-2005, 02:42 PM
ferdi from Germany

We have a different school system, 13 years from primary to A-levels (which you need to begin university studies). Currently it is being reduced to 12 years. Primary is year 1-4 here, secondary 5-13 (then 12). I teach at a secondary grammar school, at the moment year 5, 7, 9, 10 and 12.

As for German... it is far, far easier than Latin, I can assure you.

As for English... my affinity for that language started more than 30 years ago when BFBS broadcasted 'Sesame Street'.

As for philosophy... I am not a studied philosophy teacher, I only took additonal university courses last year which enable me to teach up to year 10. In fact the subject ic called 'practical philosophy'. IMHO philosophy that UNpractical is not worth teaching at school.

From philosophy to something practical... how the &5$&(/!! can I edit my signature?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:05 PM
nitrosportdecals

HAHAHA!!!! You teach where????
Old 12-30-2005, 03:37 AM
ferdi from Germany

I somehow didn't get the joke, nitro.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:21 PM
nitrosportdecals

HAHAHA!!!! You teach where????
Ferdster, it was directed at the signature change thing, but wait, I can't even figure out how to post pics on these threads, jokes on me!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.