Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Some setup advice for differentials, keep your front wheels in check.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Some setup advice for differentials, keep your front wheels in check.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:11 AM
nitrosportdecals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some setup advice for differentials, keep your front wheels in check.

I put an RB mods 528xr in my Jammin CRT. My front wheels balloon into thin pie plates when I'm on the gas. I used the fiber stranded packing tape on the inside of the proline crimefighters, still does this. Diff oils are 7k(F) 10k(C) 5k(R). What should I try changing to keep those wheels down? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:14 PM
nitrosportdecals

Default RE: Some setup advice for differentials, keep your front wheels in check.

Can anybody help a fella out?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:01 PM
edge540ts
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Some setup advice for differentials, keep your front wheels in check.

it sounds like your strapping tape fell off. The fiber stranded tape will not stretch. Try cleaning the inside of the tire before installing the tape. Other than that, I have no idea.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:26 PM
ringneck

nitrosport try 30k in the center diff thats what im runnin and i like it. and on the next set of tiers try the racers edge 2 stage foams or the trinity ones. proline also makes a firm foam but they can upset the handeling on really rough and rutted tracks. to me it sounds like youre diff is unloading to much to fast.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:24 AM
nitrosportdecals

Thanx Roscoe, I'll give 30k a shot.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:21 PM
ferdi from Germany

When accelerating, weight is taken off the front axis, making the front wheels easier to spin.
An open middle diff then transfers more rpm to the front axis. A Torsen middle diff does exactly the opposite, it puts the rpms to the axis / wheel that has most traction, the rear axis in this case.
If you don't want either, use heavy diff fluid in the middle diff. This reduces the middle diff's ability to do shift the rpm. Using 50k or so will probably make the car wheelie a lot easier which we don't usually want in racing... try 20, then 30K.

As for the duct tape, go to your local music store and ask for professional Gaffa tape. Buy the most expensive they have. This kind of tape has the right size, is very strong and durable but still flexible. I cleaned the inside of my tires with acetone and applied Gaffa, and not one tire has lose duct tape.

Do your front arms have grub screws to limit the down travel?
Limiting down travel also helps keeping the front wheels on the ground.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:59 AM
nitrosportdecals

Thanks Ferdi. I switched to 50k in the center, this seemed to help a lot.