Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Which O.S for my Hellfire?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Which O.S for my Hellfire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
rrrcustom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which O.S for my Hellfire?

I've been bashing my Hellfire now for about 4 months. I like it, but I think I'm ready to make it faster/more powerful. I've been checking TowerHobbies, and I also know people have suggested the O.S. 21 V Spec engone, but which one? The one's I see don't seem to accept a pull start or Roto Start setup. I don't want to use a starter box as I'm not a racer, and I don't want to carry more gear around.

Here are the ones I'm considering. Can I install a one way bearing and a backplate to make either work? Are there other comparable alternatives. Money is not really the issue. I would prefer an engine with the highest RPM available.

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGPF0&P=0[/link]

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFR6&P=0[/link]
Old 07-06-2006, 11:03 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which O.S for my Hellfire?

A V-spec can't use anything but a starterbox. You should look at other engines like STS.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:38 AM
ssj2

Like annie said, look into STS, the reason is because you can get STS engines modfified by www.dadders.net for 60 bucks. The STS .28 isn't even that stiff, price wise, in the first place. I would say go STS.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Any high performance race engine needs a starter box . Using pull starts and rotostarts is just an area that causes air leaks and other problems . But if you need a pullstart engine .Try a look at Collari .30 , Ofna/Picco .26 , Ofna/Picco .27 , Sportwerks .26 , Orion Wasp .28 , Orion Wasp .26 - I use in my LSP .
Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 AM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

How bout an OS .30VG? I hear it's a great engine.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:42 AM
rrrcustom

It says practical RPM is up to 36000RPM. I know O.S. is usually conservative on their ratings, butI have a hard time buying an engine that has lower RPM's than some of the other ones.

I looked at the Team Orion engines, but I can't find specs anywhere on them. I even checked their website.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:25 AM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Dawman

Any high performance race engine needs a starter box . Using pull starts and rotostarts is just an area that causes air leaks and other problems . But if you need a pullstart engine .Try a look at Collari .30 , Ofna/Picco .26 , Ofna/Picco .27 , Sportwerks .26 , Orion Wasp .28 , Orion Wasp .26 - I use in my LSP .
The Collari .30 and the Picco .27 are discontinued and have been replaced (by the Collari .32 and the Picco .28). I had 3 Picco .26/Wasp .26 and I absolutely hated them, they were awful to tune but when they were tuned well, they SCREAMED. The Picco .28 is a nice engine along with the XTM 457 & 24.7 Pro and the STS is awesome for the price (100 bucks on eBay). You can also look into the Collari .32 and the Sure Fire .32 if you want to go bigger.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:55 AM
ssj2

From what I've heard on the XTM forums, the XTM 457 is really not that bad. People seem to like theirs, and the price is cheap compared to other engines on the market.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Dawman

ORIGINAL: lax195

The Collari .30 and the Picco .27 are discontinued and have been replaced (by the Collari .32 and the Picco .28). I had 3 Picco .26/Wasp .26 and I absolutely hated them, they were awful to tune but when they were tuned well, they SCREAMED. The Picco .28 is a nice engine along with the XTM 457 & 24.7 Pro and the STS is awesome for the price (100 bucks on eBay). You can also look into the Collari .32 and the Sure Fire .32 if you want to go bigger.

According to Ofna the .27 is not discontinued , you can still get the Collari .30 as they are still being distributed , I have had and still have several picco .26 and Wasp .26 engines and they are great . You either suck at tuning or you got a bad carb .
Old 07-07-2006, 02:35 PM
lax195

According to Ofna the .27 is not discontinued , you can still get the Collari .30 as they are still being distributed , I have had and still have several picco .26 and Wasp .26 engines and they are great . You either suck at tuning or you got a bad carb .
According to Ofna the Picco .28 "will be replacing the Picco .27". And also the Collari .30 is not listed on Werks Racing website. After owning over 20 engines, I would say that I am fairly good at tuning, but if you had half a brain you would know that Picco's (especially the .26) are not known for their user friendly tuning.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Dawman

ORIGINAL: lax195

According to Ofna the Picco .28 "will be replacing the Picco .27". And also the Collari .30 is not listed on Werks Racing website. After owning over 20 engines, I would say that I am fairly good at tuning, but if you had half a brain you would know that Picco's (especially the .26) are not known for their user friendly tuning.
Just because you had over 20 engines doesn`t mean you are any good at tuning them . The .30 is not on the site but they are still distributing them .Ofna - will be is different then is as you said . And if you had a brain you would know that Ofna would mail out the replacement HSN that caused prolems on request . Get your facts straight before opening your mouth .
Old 07-07-2006, 02:58 PM
lax195

Just because you had over 20 engines doesn`t mean you are any good at tuning them . The .30 is not on the site but they are still distributing them .Ofna - will be is different then is as you said . And if you had a brain you would know that Ofna would mail out the replacement HSN that caused prolems on request . Get your facts straight before opening your mouth .
I know they sent out replacement HSNs, I still have one in my basement. So far all my facts seem to be dead on, you on the other hand seem to be going through your monthly menstrual cycle. And I never opened my mouth, I actually typed my post, hence it being in writing.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:11 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: rrrcustom

It says practical RPM is up to 36000RPM. I know O.S. is usually conservative on their ratings, butI have a hard time buying an engine that has lower RPM's than some of the other ones.

I looked at the Team Orion engines, but I can't find specs anywhere on them. I even checked their website.

Dont rely on manufacturers claims, they are mostly calculations rather than dyno results. Majority of the high performance .21's out there are gonna be bump start. If you are looking for something with some kind of roto/spin start look into the LRP .28 spec 2 or spec 3. The spec 3 is more of a top end engine and has an abrupt hit depending on what pipe you put with it, the spec 2 is a little more linear but still has some nice pull. The .28's have a good mixture of bottom and top end, but once you start going over that in to .30 and up they are all bottom end with not much on top. As far as the OS .30 in particular, I have heard too many unsatisfied people talk about them to drop $250 on one. SH makes decent engines also (same family as LRP, XTM, SH), but its really all about how much money you want to spend. OS makes good engines, I have a modded vspec, but they arent the only good engine maker out there and honestly if the vspec I have wasnt a eb mods version; I would have went with novarossi or RB.

If you arent gonna get a vspec I would suggest looking at other engines besides what OS makes. They dont have much in the line of what you are looking for from what you are saying.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:30 PM
rrrcustom

There is a local shop that sells RB engines, and recommends them. I'm looking to spend $300, preferably less, but I'd spend more if I knew what I was getting. The problem with most of the engines I've seen is, they don't rate their RPM limit, or general range. I don't want a monster truck engine. If I knew what I could expect, I'd be more inclined to pull the trigger. What scares me is bying one of those "kick ass" engines, but then it's slower than the stock one, because it doesn't rev as high.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Wizz Kid

axial .28 is a strong motor.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:16 PM
chickenfarmer3

first of all i've had a wasp .26 pro, same as picco .26. awesome engine holds tune and does what ever you want, as for os to much neg. on the .30 mabey try a os rg and get it modified or spend a little more and get a plus 21-5 novarassi and you will be set.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:02 PM
the dog

i have a os 30 and i put it in my hellfire for a couple runs and its alot more bottom end then the hpi. you know that os is coming out with a modded 30 sometime very soon. i talked to somebody witha os 21 and he said the 30 is just as fast. the only difference is the 21 has to really wind up to really scoot but the 30 has it instantly. the hellfire is sorta heavy compared to the other trucks. i would stick to the hpi or the os. i will say that when you go to the 30 it does wear out drivetrain parts sooner than a 21 would obviously. i would stick to the bigger engines though. definatley not a 21. one guy at lhs said when i bought my 30 he is still gonna wax me, well only cause hes a better driver. my truck is faster though. for whatever thats worth.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:26 PM
800screws

STS engines are reputable? i was looking for something a little better than my hot bodies .26 and found them on ebay also. i thought it was some kind of scam for that price? any more feedback on them?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:02 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: the dog

i have a os 30 and i put it in my hellfire for a couple runs and its alot more bottom end then the hpi. you know that os is coming out with a modded 30 sometime very soon. i talked to somebody witha os 21 and he said the 30 is just as fast. the only difference is the 21 has to really wind up to really scoot but the 30 has it instantly. the hellfire is sorta heavy compared to the other trucks. i would stick to the hpi or the os. i will say that when you go to the 30 it does wear out drivetrain parts sooner than a 21 would obviously. i would stick to the bigger engines though. definatley not a 21. one guy at lhs said when i bought my 30 he is still gonna wax me, well only cause hes a better driver. my truck is faster though. for whatever thats worth.

The .21 vspecs are a much faster engine than the OS .30, torque is a good thing, but there needs to be a balance of bottom, mid, and top end power. The OS .30 is all bottom end, and in a long straight a decent .21 like the vspec will smoke a .30. With the right kind of pipe on a vspec you wont get the bottom end that a .30 has but it wont be to far off, and they dont have to spool up all that much to start making good power.

For instance, as far as sheer numbers (all based on XRC's dyno info) go, the os .21 isnt to far off the .30's #'s:

The OS .30 puts out:
1.80 HP @ 26,500RPM
And peak torque is 74.88 oz.-in. @18,750RPM
Max RPM 35,500

A stock OS vspec .21:
1.47 HP @ 24,250RPM
peak torque 61.2 oz-in. @ 22,500RPM
max RPM 41,500

Now I have a eb mods vspec that is rated to have 20% more power than the stock vspec and based on the same xrc stuff I came up with the following #'s

1.76 HP RPM???
peak torque 73.44 @ ???RPM

Now divide all that by the amount of fuel the OS .30 consumes Vs. the .21's consumption, I think the .21 is a much better engine.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:48 PM
azizhousecallz

I have the STS 28 in my savage and let me say this. It's really a beast and made to take the heat. i have run that motor sometimes in the range of about 315-330 and was told that thats fine just don't over due it. its designed to take a beating. And the power ... forget about it ! it flips my savage over on command EVERYTIME! It works great with my three speed or two speed once i re-gear it. I have run over 6 gallons in this motor and it just keeps asking for more. I raced two friends of mine with T-Maxx one with the OS 18TM and one with Rossi 21 You know how heavy a savage is compared to the T-Maxx? well let me say that after i beat them both in a race of about 75 yards, they wanted to know what i paid for the STS! Its a great motor and if you get it from "http://www.racernine.com/ their customer service and support can't be beat. they race these engines and sell them. visit their site and see all the races they have won with the 28. This Motor is one of the Nitro worlds best kept secrets.
ORIGINAL: 800screws

STS engines are reputable? i was looking for something a little better than my hot bodies .26 and found them on ebay also. i thought it was some kind of scam for that price? any more feedback on them?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Bannysfire

I have a Hellfire now aswell. It looks to me that I am going to put either a AXIAL .28 OR a WASP .28 in. I did see a XTM 457 run the other daqyand man that thing was insanlly fast. As well asa WASP .28 that thing just plane put the boots to everything elsa out on that day. But remember that your gearing with the teeth willmake a hugh diff in the speed of top end and low end as well. For me I plan to play with the teeth thing to see witch is the best setup for the track here. But good luck to all of you..
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 PM
superlight

ORIGINAL: claudacio

The .21 vspecs are a much faster engine than the OS .30, torque is a good thing, but there needs to be a balance of bottom, mid, and top end power. The OS .30 is all bottom end, and in a long straight a decent .21 like the vspec will smoke a .30. With the right kind of pipe on a vspec you wont get the bottom end that a .30 has but it wont be to far off, and they dont have to spool up all that much to start making good power.
claudacio, I have a lst2 weighing in at 11lbs.
My sh28p6 just died on me and I'm looking around for an engine.
What would you think of putting in a .21vspec in my truck, how do you think it'll run?

At my track, it has a few mid size jumps with relatively short runway and a long straight.
I'm looking for an engine that has very good top end and a decent torque for bottom and mid.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:45 PM
HELLSS

well i got a os30vg in my hellfire ss
Old 11-10-2006, 03:42 AM
NewKid
My Feedback: (1)

yea the os vspec could be run in the lightning and it'd help if you could loose a pound or two but with proper gearing the vspec will rip...remember people ran hyper .21's in t-maxxes with all aluminum i am sure that's more than any 11 pounds
Old 05-08-2007, 11:38 PM
CRUZRC

SO TO END THE DISCUTION ,WHICH ENGINE IS THE BEST ENGINE AND BEST DEAL TO PUT ON HELLFIRE SS ???????? please reply?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.