Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Jato 3.3 or Hellfire upgrade?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Jato 3.3 or Hellfire upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:59 PM
rrrcustom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jato 3.3 or Hellfire upgrade?

I have a Hellfire which I bought when they first came out. I love the truck, but when I saw the Jato is out with the new 3.3, and now the sweet song of speed is calling me. Would it be possible to get the Hellfire up to 60MPH with a pullstart engine and gearing? I already have the 16t bell on it, and I've bought the lightweight 53t spur gear, but haven't installed it yet. I'm thinking of getting a new motor, because mine has a low speed hesitation that annoys me, but I'm worried that I won't find a pullstart engine that will rev as high as the 4.6. I know it's overrated, but it's quite a bit higher than the O.S, and others that have specs listed I've heard the RB's, and other italian engines will rev high, but for the cost, I can almost buy the Jato. Would a cheaper engine and gearing get the job done, or should I just go with the Jato.

I'd really love it if someone designed a 2 speed for the Hellfire.[]
Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 PM
technoracer

Default RE: Jato 3.3 or Hellfire upgrade?

the first thing I would ask you is why do you need that much speed?? I have both vehicles and there quite different. he hellfire is designed for racing as a entry level machine, The Jato as??? basher that wants to just go fast! It loses traction in the dirt, and tends to spin out with the slightest throttle .. let me ask you something! where in the dirt can you expect to go 65 mph? I suspect you just want to go fast, if this is there case then buy the Jato, it will give you the quickest return for your money!! If you want to keep the Hellfire then seek out race tracks in your local area and practice beating the track!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:12 AM
ProRCRacer88

A 2wd with an engine like that is too much for it and IMO i think its no fun to have a donut king, thats all you will be doin if you get down on the throttle slightly too much in the dirt. But as far as an engine, i pull start or drill start engine wont do nothin for you as far as speed. Get yourself a nice onroad engine if you have to have speed. Cause offroad engines are made to have mostly bottom end power, not as much top end power as an onroad-spec engine. The hellfire isnt a truck to go fast with, but you can make it do that if you have the money
Old 08-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Roscco

I'd agree with the above, if it's outright speed your after the Jato is for you. However, with the right gearing, enough space and a Nova528 i think 60mph in the hellfire *MIGHT* just be possible. The 528 is one hell of a motor.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:18 AM
rrrcustom

I chose the Hellfire over Jato originally because it was 4wd, and I like the versatility. However, I'm just a basher, and I want all out speed!!!!!!!!! I already have a modded RS4 EVo that will spin the tires at any speed, but I want to get a truck that will do that, because, to be honest, the RS4 is limited to where it can go. Money is not so much of an issue as wanting to make sure I get the right motor. None of the high end engine manufacturers show their engines' specs, and few of them offer a pull start/roto start type setup. If I were racing, that wouldn't be very important, but as a basher, I don't want to have to lug a starter box around. The no spec thing won't cut it, because even though I'm willing to drop $300-$400 for an engine, I don't want to do it multiple times.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:14 PM
ProRCRacer88

RB makes a .28 pullstart engine, im sure its a great engine since the rest of them are. Novarossi makes a .28 with a rotostart, go to acehardwarehobbies.com and check out all the options you have. Or you could go for the onroad engine like i said, and get it modded or somethin. I assure you that you will easily do over 50 with it.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:44 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AH!!!!! The need for speed bug has bitten you, I've been thier with the shumacher fusion, cen ct4r 73mph. Traxxas makes that jato look and sound very attractive.

Myself I have the truggy bug, I bit a long time a go with one of the first few, the ofna the dominator, and the gs storm suts. With all the new offerings out though, I want the best, a Jammin crt or a kyosho, but my wallet has other demands, and i went crazy a year ago buying everything that was hot.

sell a few and maybe someday I'll own a top truggy. Why i don't know, just to have one of the baddest machine around!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:02 PM
ProRCRacer88

I want the same thing you want silverman, but now that i seen these 1/5th scales, I think its time I try somthin different[8D]
Old 08-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Roscco

Here is a link to the Nova/Rex/Topps line of engines (think i read you couldn't find specs). These are IMHO amongst the best engines for speed and quality out there. ROTO START backplates are available.

http://www.novarossi.it/eng/motori_truck_index.htm
Old 08-04-2006, 09:23 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something 1/5 scale I would not have the room to run, thats why I'll stay with 1/8, and no bigger.

I hear novarossi, rossi, tops motors are extremely good. I have no experience with them though. The serious racers at my track run these, the OS engines are very popular. I own 2 os .18 motors and i love the power and tunability. You don't need to be an expert tuner
Old 08-05-2006, 02:41 AM
evage

I have a jato with a 3.3 in it.It is way over powered for dirt,but it will fly across a parking lot,literally fly at 65+ the air under the front end causes lift off with the slightest bump.I like it for pavement,it is an attention getter.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:38 PM
sitfly36

do you like 4 wheel drive or hard to control 2 wheel drive? the jato is **** hot on pavement but in the dirt it is weak, the hellfire is great on all surfices, the jato is fast but unless you spend another 160 bucks for aluminum parts it will be doing a lot of garge time