Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

8ight Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Silverfang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 8ight Truggy

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

Dude honestly the stock losi sport pipe is one of the best pipes around, id say the best RTR pipe and works great on alot of engines, the sport pipe is a good match for the 427.

Thanks for the feed back.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
slayer1halo

i run odonnels in my lst2 is it good for the eight-t rtr too.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:21 PM
RoadRash19

If your getting air in the fuel line at a half of tank..

Pull your fuel line out of the tank a little bit maybe its floping around in the tank to much sucking some air,

But your problem with the clutch prolly isn't the clutch sounds like a tuning problem.
Like your low end is to rich

Thanks, I'll try that with the hose. I searched around a bit, and others suggest to check the pinch bolt on the carb as well. I'll be check that once I clean this thing up. On the tuning, I am running it a little rich up top, but if anything, I think I was running a little too lean down low. The clutch was working until I was almost done with the second tank. Then it would just rev up and not move. If I gave it a push, it was enough for it to engage. I'll know more when I tear it down a little later.

Any other suggestions on the air bubbles? And, should I try sealing the carb with rtv at all? A little more info on the air bubbles. When it happens, it is almost impossible to get the thing to prime again. It seems I mess around with it for 5-6 minutes before it will prime. I have a laser heat gun, and it tells me the temps are about the 240 range as the hottest I've seen. Also, this happened once yesterday, on the first tank, within the first 2 minutes of running it. Which makes me think it might be something else besides the tank. So, any other suggestions are appreciated. I'll try everything I know so far and report back if I come up with a fix. Thanks everyone for you help so far.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
slayerphonics

Id replace the fuel line just in case.. really strange it won't prime.

How old is the truck?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM
INTEGRA

RTV wont seal the tank.......Three Bond 1211 OR Racer's edge Carb sealant will tho...chk my photobucket for pics.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:48 PM
RoadRash19

Slayerphonics & Integra, thanks for the info. I'll try the racer's edge carb sealant, and I'll go ahead and replace all fuel line while I'm at it. I think I'll try the carb sealant first, just to eliminate that, and then do the hose if that doesn't work. One thing at a time just so I know what the actual solution ends up being. I'll report back as soon as I have more info. Thanks, both of you for helping out a newbie....I appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:48 PM
slayerphonics

Its always the simple things to. I can hear it now "I forgot to put fuel in the tank" LOL J/K but you get the idea
Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 PM
RoadRash19

Its always the simple things to. I can hear it now "I forgot to put fuel in the tank" LOL J/K but you get the idea
lol...exactly! You mean the fuel tube isn't supposed to clip to the top of the glow plug?

I tore it down, cleaned up up. I'll take a look at the clutch, and see what else I can seal up tonight. On the carb, how exactly does it come out to be sealed? I removed the pinch bolt, but it seems to be red loctited in there. I don't want to put too much force it. And that is an off-the-top-of-my-head question, I haven't looked at an exploded diagram yet, so it's probably something simple.

Anyway, any other suggestions on fuel, let me know. I'm going to put it all back together tonight. I'll see how it runs sometime tomorrow and report back.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:54 PM
RoadRash19

So, I got to look at the clutch. Mine has 4 aluminum shoes, but in the manual, says I should have 2 composite, with 2 aluminum, with the gold and silver springs. Instead I have 4 aluminum with 4 silver springs. The silver springs are very stiff. Oh, and two of the 4 aluminum shoes are worn way down, at least 1/2 or less the thickness of the opposite aluminum shoes. Seems I might really have only had 2 shoes engaging. Not sure whats going on in there.

Should I replace it with 4 new aluminum shoes with software springs, or go with 2 composite and 2 aluminum and 2 black springs on the composite shoes...basically, the setup it talks about in the last paragraph of the last page of the setup manual.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Silverfang

I'm not that great ont he clutch set up for the 8ight-t yet. But I can tell you that the setup that Adam drake runs (according to the sheat on the Losi websight) says he runs 4 aluminum clutch shoes with 4 silver springs. I still run the stock set up just like the manual says and it works great. So i figure why mess with it.

Now if you have 2 shoes worn down replace them ofcorse. I would go back to the set up the manual says myself. That is a great starting point. I figure once you get it working reliably you can tune and tweak from there.

Just my 2 cents. I am no expert mabey slayer an integra know something better. They have helped me before and seem to know what is what .
Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 AM
INTEGRA

RoadRash19.....2 of the shoes are worn bad cuz some 1 put the ALL silver springs on the shoes AFTER beating up on them with the Gold silver combo...Just replace the shoes with Dynamite Max Life's and get a couple sets of New Silver and Gold springs...rebuild the clutch and u should be good to go...Dyna's will last 10X longer then the stock blue's.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Th3pwn3r
My Feedback: (1)

Also, remember to make sure that the exhaust manifold is sealing properly to the exhaust port.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 AM
joeyvaz

Can someone tell me what the stock steering servo is? I'm thinking of putting that in my Hellfire and taking my JR9001T and putting it in the EightT. I will run the the Eight T more now that it's new, so I might as well use the better steering servo in it.

Also, what would be a fair price to sell the DX w/Rx? I have a DX3 and spare Rx already, so I don't need another Tx.

BTW, my EightT should be here by the end of the week.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
RoadRash19

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

RoadRash19.....2 of the shoes are worn bad cuz some 1 put the ALL silver springs on the shoes AFTER beating up on them with the Gold silver combo...Just replace the shoes with Dynamite Max Life's and get a couple sets of New Silver and Gold springs...rebuild the clutch and u should be good to go...Dyna's will last 10X longer then the stock blue's.
Thank Integra, and thanks for warning me off the Fioroni stuff in the other clutch thread I had going.

I don't understand what you mean with the comment, "2 of the shoes are worn bad cuz some 1 put the ALL silver springs on the shoes AFTER beating up on them with the Gold silver combo"? You mean this is some factory thing? Like someone ran my truck there, which caused the two shoes that previously had gold springs to wear down, and they then put silver spring all the way around? I'm confused. I can say this is the first I've had my clutch apart. I expected 2 aluminum and 2 composite shoes like in the book, and the gold/silver combo of springs. Or, are you saying where I bought my truck, they had used it as a demo before packaging it back up and selling it to me at a big discont. You must know more than you are letting on.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 PM
RoadRash19

I think my air leak issue was two fold. One, the gasket on the tank cap. The screw that hold in that center piece, which seems to expand againt the rubber washer was set really tight. It cause the washer to flatten out/distort, and so the cap didn't appear to be getting a very good seal. When plugging a tank hose with one hand, and blowing on the other the tank seem to pressurize fine, but the slightest bump on the tank cap would caused it lose air. After loosening it up and playing with it, it now takes a bit of force to really get it to lose air. The other thing is the fuel line going from the tank cap to the exhaust seems to be a little loose. It's sealing, but one you add head/pressure/vibration, who knows. I'm going to use some small zip-ty's to lightly lock them on.

So, I just have to get new shoes & springs, put things back together, and I'm off to terrorize my buddies again..
Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM
INTEGRA

I understand now that the truck was Brand new....I didnt get that off the batt....but ya....Im confused as to why it came with all allum on silver's....AND why 2 shoes are worn more then the other 2.....that just dosent make sence.......1 thing i can reccomend when u pull the whole clutch apart is to use a dremel or a benchgrinder and make the ends of the pins little Devil spikes....it will help Extremely when re-installing them on the flywheel.... polish the pin screw's with a dremel or If u got a polishing wheel even better...Just be careful not to FLING them across the room......there's a measurement that some racer's might know....23.3mm...thats the OD of 2 shoes mounted on the flywheel when they are In Drakes oppinion No Good....so take that measument if u can on both sets of shoes...and that might tell u something....but i still cant see Why your kit would have come with All 4 blue allum shoes...and not 2 composite on gold 2 allum on silver combo...or why they arent wearing the same.....are they all burred up ? how long have u been running them ? were the bearings fried ?

now for the tank......all u need is throttle bands...wrap a couple around the tank lid and around the Sump on the bottom of the tank and whamo....Instand 99.9% GUARENTEE ur tank is closed....Dispite your pitman forgetting to PUSH on the cap as they commonly do In big race's and are competing with pitguys Next to em....Splash's are bound to occur...but still...Every little second counts in the A.

for the Loose fitting tank lid i just cut a strip of fuel tubing like 1mm long and double wrap it on the line....pics say 10000 words

Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 PM
RoadRash19

Integra, thank you so much for the information. The pic does show so much. I'll setup like that. My lhs didn't carry the dynamite shoes, so I picked up 4 aluminum king headz. Hopefully those are decent. I also picked up new silver and gold springs. I hope that makes a difference in when it engages.

And, I found out why the clutch is burned up. No fault of the truck, just like the throttle servo was no fault of the truck...The center diff case is grooved all the way around with probably a 3/8" groove. Tells me a rock got in there. I could only imagine if a rock got in there what it would do to the clutch once it started to heat up a slip a little bit. The clutch is really smoked pretty good. So, the 8ight-t is very reliable, its just a bit picky about the owner...lol...Okay, time to wrench. I got a bunch of new parts to play with.

EDIT: Just spent 30 minutes trying to get one pin back on...lol...time to break out the dremel! lol...what a HUGE PITA those things are. Putting a point like that should get me past the spring, and slip into the bottom pin hole much easier...thank you for the tip (if I would just learn from others sooner)...

Do you have a tip for getting the carb off? I removed the pinch bolt, but it feels like it's soldered in somehow. I must be missing something. The exploded views I have from LOSI never show the carb detached?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 PM
INTEGRA

if uve taken the pinch bolt screw right out...thread it back in a bit and use ur 2mm and whack it with a wrench...Not crazy hard...but give it a tapp...it should free up 1 side of the pinch bolt and allow it to come out.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
rcracen

I just purchased an 8t roller. I was on my second tank of fuel during break-in and lost my rear brake. Come to find out the center of the rear brake disk rounded out where the cvd goes through. I had't even had a chance to dial my brakes in yet. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 PM
RoadRash19

if uve taken the pinch bolt screw right out...thread it back in a bit and use ur 2mm and whack it with a wrench...Not crazy hard...but give it a tapp...it should free up 1 side of the pinch bolt and allow it to come out.

Thanks again Integra. I really really appreciate the help. I've rebuilt the clutch, used the racers edge sealant pretty much how I saw it in your picture, and used the small pieces of fuel line to help hold the fuel line pinched. I've got my throttle and steering servos all set back up, everything is ready to go. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow...

Oh, and I think I really found the issue with the air bubbles, or one of the contributing issues. The head was slightly loose. I noticed when I was taking the clutch out, that when I spun the engine over by the flywheel that under compression the wd-40 that I use for after-run would seep out forcibly. I tightened the head down, and that issue is resolved. I think I am all ready to go.

So, to sum things up, so far everything that has broken on this truck has pretty much been my fault not knowing what I'm doing. And every problem, ie air bubbles, was again, me not doing things right...

But I've now had the thing really torn down. And feel like I've learned a lot already. Thanks again for spending a few minutes to clue me in. I'll probably have more questions coming up. Hopefully I can work on some driving now. lol...
Old 04-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Silverfang

Hey INTEGRA

How come you have a fule filter on the line going to your exhaust as well as one going to the carb?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
INTEGRA

RoadRash19...No problem man....Anytime...Pm me with future Q's and ill get back to ya.....Silverfang...there are reasons for it...but the motor i currently run dosent technically need it there...but offer's some peice of mind If the issue were to occur.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:12 PM
RoadRash19

Thanks Integra. That's very cool of you to offer up.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Silverfang

RoadRash19...No problem man....Anytime...Pm me with future Q's and ill get back to ya.....Silverfang...there are reasons for it...but the motor i currently run dosent technically need it there...but offer's some peice of mind If the issue were to occur.

If you don't mind. What are the reasons? I may want to run one on my 8ight t. Never seen 2 like that. I'm just curious.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM
cherokee180c

Hey guys. I was just on the phone with Jon at Modhobby.com and he said that Horizon raised the price of the Roller by $100. The RTR went up something like $40. I think this was inevitable with the U.S. dollar tanking so bad due to the Fed. and overseas container rates shooting through the stratosphere. I hope they don't raise parts costs too much. Especially when I decided to get back into this with my son instead of paying a million dollars for airfare and a big vacation this summer. Everybody who just bought one should feel really good about the deal they got!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.