Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Matrix vs ST vs Muggy??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Zonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matrix vs ST vs Muggy??

I cannt decide after 2 weeks or looking around...
Hyper ST ($660)
Matrix Arena (not pro version) ($700)
TM Muggy ($800) (au $)

Hyper ST is easiest for parts, LHS has them all in stock, the Muggy is fairly easy while the cen parts need to be ordered overseas (not a big issue).
Just wondering what is the best? Both in terms of handling and strength?
My local track is bumpy and rutty.
The ST comes with a crappy radio, have no idea what the Matrix comes with (Airtonics?) but the Muggy has a excellent system

Any help really welcome

1 last question, can buggy starter boxes be used with truggies?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Matrix vs ST vs Muggy??

If you can't get parts easily, don't get it.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:28 AM
nitro _ burner

ok im waiting to get a hyper st and a had a realy good look at one today and thier f.....kn good they might seem strange being cheaper but trust me its worth it its go every thing you would need or want. are all the cars your looking at from your local store?

Heres the sitefor the st: http://ofna.com/hyper-st.html

Read all the specs and youll find its realy good!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 PM
trevpjm

The ST is a great Truggy with a few tweaks it can be an awesome Truggy! I have a few in stock $494.95.
Driving one myself with Picco .28, handles like a dream.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:37 AM
jaybz75

i was facing the same dilema zonk. but i had the thunder st-1 in the mix too. They make a pro kit as well(st-1 pro!) with loadsa carbon for around 620 Au but in the specs they are really small in dimensions (485mm legnth, 380 width V's 560mm 415) and i want something not too much smaller than my pals muggy, which incidently is a great unit but i cant be buying the same. The kyosho inferno ST US sport edition looked really cheap, all the screws were crappy zinc coated things that you would have to replace and the rest wasnt much better.
i just bought an Arena through ********* (699 posted) so i will tell you about it when it arrives. Looks like we get a crappy radio with ours and not the airtronics lcd unit that they get in the states(?) but the rest of it looks really strong and as a RTR its great value when you look at whats out there. 23mm wheel hubs sold me as i can use my prolines off my savage too. bonus .I called ********* to ask about parts they reckon they have a good supply and unless you have a savage or a traxxas here in w.a you have to wait a week anyway. I'll keep you posted anyhow.[8D]
Old 03-13-2007, 05:29 AM
nitro _ burner

as i said the hyper st is good and even better if you have easy acess to parts.
read up on some peoples reviews on the hyper st most things are positives and the handeling is mentioned heap as being heaps awsome.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:02 AM
vti-chris

If you don't need it badly then wait for the hyper st pro...which will come without radio or engine!!
I'm not sure if they WILL come up with one but i REALLY hope they do!!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Coopz

ORIGINAL: vti-chris

If you don't need it badly then wait for the hyper st pro...which will come without radio or engine!!

I wouldn't hold my breath, theres only been rumours, no previews, hints or anything on it.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:53 PM
RobertHull
Banned

CEN Racing M atrix TR for sure!!!!
http://www.headrushhobbies.com/estor...?pid=856&catn=
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Coopz

I thought about the Matrix Pro but noticed it comes with no wheels, tyres or body.. over $150 in additional $$ to add to its price. Not including engine, servos, radio gear or pipe.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:02 AM
RGX Blade

most of the RTR's nowdays are Pretty close to one another.....
for the Exception of maybe radio's and a few "Options" but there relatively "Close" to one another.
will come down to if the Consumer minds ordering parts?? or wishes to have parts "Available" at there Local hobby shops?? some mind others do not ...???
if parts is not a real "Issue" any of the fore mentioned trucks are great....

price range per dollar.....the Hyper ST and the Matrix RTR would be good choices....
both "Inexpensive" about 429.00 to 480.00 for the Hyper ST and about 430.00 to 450.00
for the Matrix TR
as well for the Thunder Tiger ST-1 to also be around 369.00 to 429.00 (in a RTR Format)
they are a little "Narower" but with the stock Jammin rims or
OFNA rims part number OFN86105 will bring it up to spec to most truggies on the market
....found A Main hobbies to be the lowest in prices for many of the CEN products....
Hypers need to "Shop a little"
Radio Systems will consist of "Basic AM" radios in most kits....these will "Get you Started" but if one decides to remotley think of racing would recommend any upgrade to a FM type....
or 2.4 Gig type radios.....Spektrum, or the new Airtronics MX-3FHSS (2.4GHz)
will help in less frustration for having to wait for a Freqency etc.......
an the least "Inexpensive" of the bigger names....
Spektrum DX2 can usually find here in the California at around 149.00 to 155.00

for Kits....????
well there are may on the market???
just depends on what you like? and the options you decide upon....????
do you want to use racer friendly rims and tires?
do you want longevity?
"Reputation" ......"Name Brand".....etc....
"Driveability"......least amount of "Hop-Up's" needed...??
all variables.......and too many to list......
for RTR's........
would have to go with in no particular order.....
Tiger ST-1, Hyper ST and CEN TR
those 3 on the market would probally be the "Least Inexpensive" to get started on......
Old 03-21-2007, 09:05 AM
jaybz75

I got my matrix arena RTR the other day Zonk from RC hobbies and i'm really impressed.

The australian model doesnt get the Skyion DSX 2ch radio like it shows on the box but an Airtronics MX3 27FM radio that features LCD readout, 3 channel(why i dont know) and 5ch memory. Its very similar to the JR2i that comes with the muggy. I actually prefer this radio as the menu's are easier to understand.Trigger not as nice tho.

The rest of the trugg is really well built. All the nuts,bolts and screws are of high quality and the plastic components look well made too. Compared to the quality i saw on the Kyosho ST this baby sh..s all over it and even the Hyper ST , the componentry just wasnt up in the same league. Losi is tho, they make quality stuff, still breaks when they hit something but they are quite a bit larger than the regular trugg and heavier to boot. The Arena handles like its on rails compared to the Muggy, which dont get me wrong doesnt handle too bad for its size, but its like a jackrussell racing an pug around the park.

The body is really heavy duty polycarbonate that has the best paint job i have seen on a RTR. Even comes with plastic washers on the binding posts so the clips dont scratch it.

All in all nice truck. Every thread has been dipped in red locktite so make sure you have a good set of t-bar allen keys to undo stuff.

Fly's with the STS .30 motor installed(stock TR28 for sale if anyone interested,with pipe,clutch,filter,pull start,complete and brand new!). Makes my HPI Savage 4.6 look and feel like and absolute brick. Will be binning that money pit asap.

You get quite a few tools in the box inc 2 types of + wrenches and a few allen keys as well of a bag of shims inc head shims. Bag of shock spacers as well with 4 sets of shock pistons for harder/softer shock action. Really good manual too as well as a glossy wall chart with an explodeded diagram of the car with part no's. A DVD of the cars in action is included too(no action of the TR tho?). All for $699 delivered (maybe cheaper on the east coast)i think its great value.

hope it helps someone out.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Rebeldude
My Feedback: (5)

I to had this delima a few weeks ago. I ended up doing the car swap program with CEN. I traded in 2 rollers and got 2 Matrix TR RTRs for 350 each. Could not pass up that deal. I am breaking one in right now and I am very impressed with this vehicle. My LHS does not carry any CEN stuff but they don't carry much to begin with. The kits came with the DSX radio but I had one JR-XS3 and bought the spektrum for the other so the radios did not matter to me. 27mhz radios are an issue no matter how flashy/nice they are if you plan on running with other vehicles IMO. Good luck on your decision, I am happy with mine so far.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:38 PM
CrazyMento

hey Rebeldude

do you have the details for the swap program? i am looking to buy a Matrix TR too.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:11 AM
nitro _ burner

why would you want it without the engine or radio??
Or is it so you can buy it cheaper and put the radio and engine of your choice in it???
ORIGINAL: vti-chris

Old 03-25-2007, 04:20 AM
marko rossi

i too am looking at the cen matrix tr!

im also based in aust. (sydney) where is the best place to get this, *********.com.au seems to be the cheapest?
do they include the additional items in this price i.e. Transmitter Pack, Rechargeable Battery Pack & charger, Nitro?

i was looking at campbelltownhobbies.com.au who would offer free tuning after its run-in, they seem like a knowledgeable team...
the hyper st looks nice too but i dont think i can go past the matrix after hearing race results...thoughts?