Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Why me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Rebeldude
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why me?

I am sure most on here have either seen or been unlucky enough to be holding the controller while your nitro vehicle goes screaming out of control. I have a matrix arena RTR. I had just upgraded my throttle/brake servo, RX battery pack, and servo saver arm. I was taking it out for a spin when disaster struck. Durning the first 2 minutes of the run all went great. The new servo really helped the throttle response. I was doing some small jumps when the truggy went full throttle and I could not make it stop. It ran wide open across a field, jumped the road, and hit a tree. I sprinted to it, picked it up (throttle still screaming), turned it upside down and it died. First notice was the front left A-arm broken. I took the body off and noticed the carb was off the engine. My first thought was that the radio had messed up but I do have the spektrum so I thougth everything should have been ok. I noticed the screw that held the carb on was gone. I also tested the radio right after the incident and all was working properly. My question is, do you think that the carb came loose, started taking air, which in turn made the truggy take off? I ordered all the parts today to get it fixed. I just hope the engine is not fried and that it does not happen again.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:01 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: Why me?

That engine is most likely gone. It ran lean as hell with that carb off. I bet you that's why it took off. The sleeve in the carb acts as a limiter to how much air enters the engine. Now when that carb popped off, it was like taking the revv limiter off a car, and going full speed. It's going as fast as it ever would.

And that engine sucked in crap. Just get yourself a new engine, and make sure the carb is tight next time
Old 04-16-2007, 09:10 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the motor would not run if the carb popped off...most likely the carb got twited and stuck wide open...then when the machine crashed the carb popped off...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 PM
MBX5T Maniac

Supertib, so engines will run for a short while with the carb off. But he's probably right. It got twisted because of the initial jump, then it hit the tree, knocking out the carb, and sending the retainer flying.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Rebeldude

So if my engine is fried, what should I replace it with? I only have about 200 bucks I could spend.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:41 PM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: MBX5T Maniac

Supertib, so engines will run for a short while with the carb off. But he's probably right. It got twisted because of the initial jump, then it hit the tree, knocking out the carb, and sending the retainer flying.
Yeah, for about 2 seconds. If the carb comes off, no more fuel.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:46 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine was bound to give out sooner or later, now you have an excuse. I hear Orion .28's are fast.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:01 PM
bentgear

By any chance did you have to reverse the direction of the new throttle servo when it was installed? If you did, and didn't reprogram the failsafe settings then it may have gone into failsafe for some reason and opened the throttle full instead of closing it.

Ed M.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
mmelick

You could picl up an LRP spec 3 for about 150$ and let me tell you they scream. I also have 2 picco p3's that you can get for about 170. Also a great engine. If you are going to race though you should look to spend a little more. They arent always faster just a smoother powerband. If you are really new you might want to look into something from OS engines. I hear they are very easy to tune.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:47 PM
SOILWORK

I run radios that have a mutli model memory and I always forget to switch the radio to the model I am using at the time and they take off.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Rebeldude

ORIGINAL: bentgear

By any chance did you have to reverse the direction of the new throttle servo when it was installed? If you did, and didn't reprogram the failsafe settings then it may have gone into failsafe for some reason and opened the throttle full instead of closing it.

Ed M.
I did have to reverse the throttle servo actually now that you mention it.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
MBX5T Maniac

ORIGINAL: RCaeroguy

ORIGINAL: MBX5T Maniac

Yeah, for about 2 seconds. If the carb comes off, no more fuel.
Dohh! Stupid me. I just realized that. lol

Old 04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Rebeldude

I think the engine is ok. Has good compression but the glow plug is toasted. Hopefully my parts will make it here Friday so I can get it back together. I was hoping to run on Sunday. I tested some things with the radio and it is working properly.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 PM
MBX5T Maniac

If I were you, I'd take the entire thing apart, and clean it out. Doesn't take much to ruin those engines, and a piece of dirt, or crap, trapped in there, at the RPM's the engines are moving at, it's bound to screw it up. Better safe than sorry is all I can say
Old 04-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Shark413

Here is what a little speck can do when your piston is turning at 30,000 rpm.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Nathan9492

i bet u didnt set the EPA, or ur radio doesnt have an EPA, and ur Throttle is soo torque and strong, that cos u havnt set the EPA, the sservo has just ripped the carb right out, has happenede before, ahh well learn from ur mistakes and get a radio with EPA settings
Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 PM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: harawong

i bet u didnt set the EPA, or ur radio doesnt have an EPA, and ur Throttle is soo torque and strong, that cos u havnt set the EPA, the sservo has just ripped the carb right out, has happenede before, ahh well learn from ur mistakes and get a radio with EPA settings
the servo pulls from the side, so there is no way it would pull the carb out. To pull it out, you would need to pull it up. I'm sure you could work one loose with a high torque servo though. A well tightened carb won't should stay put regardless of the servo used.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Nathan9492

ORIGINAL: dittch

ORIGINAL: harawong

the servo pulls from the side, so there is no way it would pull the carb out. To pull it out, you would need to pull it up. I'm sure you could work one loose with a high torque servo though. A well tightened carb won't should stay put regardless of the servo used.

its happened to my mate before, and a few other people
Old 04-19-2007, 10:07 PM
MBX5T Maniac

Ditch, you'd be surprised what these servos can do. If it's loose, it pulls it over, and out. I'm sure if you tried it, you could get it to as well