Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Hyper ST Pro, or TT ST-1 Pro?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Hyper ST Pro, or TT ST-1 Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:55 PM
cobra26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyper ST Pro, or TT ST-1 Pro?

First, let me say that I have always been a basher and never raced; however, this coming Spring and Summer I do plan to race. I've been bashing buggies since the early to mid-1980's when I bought the original OFNA HODR by Hang Nor. I currently run a TT V-Spec Mirage (how's that for age?), a Nitro Rustler, a Raze (currently awaiting some parts), and a Traxxas GP2 for a change of pace and a little on-road bashing.

Since I want to start racing in the Truggy class this coming Spring, I am wondering if there is a significant difference between the OFNA Hyper ST Pro and the Thunder Tiger ST-1 Pro as far as reliability, handling, and speed? I definitely want a kit to build up, and have kind of narrowed down the choices to these two trucks.

Anybody have opinions on which of these two might be better, or recommendations for something else to consider? Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-12-2007, 03:39 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Hyper ST Pro, or TT ST-1 Pro?

Well I was in the exact same position several weeks ago, and went with the Hyper ST Pro.. To be honest the only reason I got the Hyper was because it was newer, and was getting a lot of hype and positive feedback...

The ST-1 is older, but still gets a lot of rave reviews... Supposedly very very tough... I don't know what the Hyper ST Pro costs at amain, but the ST-1 Pro I think is $380 - a nice price, especially considering you still have to buy all the other stuff...

So depends on how deep your pockets are I guess...

One advantage of the Hyper ST MIGHT be that there seem to be a lot of Hyper buggy chop shops in the US... I don't know how many parts are interchangeable, but if I lived in the States that would be a factor for me..

Heck, it still is.. - and I still want to find out which buggy parts are interchangeable...

Anway, good luck....
Old 12-12-2007, 04:27 PM
mmbc

well the st-1 is faster and cheaper but the Hst is still a neat truck and a little bit more expensive but thats what i'm getting and be diffrent 'couse everybody has an st-1.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:36 PM
cobra26

ORIGINAL: mmbc

well the st-1 is faster and cheaper but the Hst is still a neat truck and a little bit more expensive but thats what i'm getting and be diffrent 'couse everybody has an st-1.

I can appreciate wanting to be different and not like everyone else, but I want the best Truggy that will give me the best performance so my choice will need to be based on that. If it turns out to be what everyone else has, then so be it. I want the best chance to win some races, so I'm looking for the best Truggy in reliability, handling, and speed. I'm just not sure which one that is!

Should I throw the Kyosho TT-RR into this mix with the OFNA Hyper ST Pro and the Thunder Tiger ST-1 Pro?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:39 PM
cobra26

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Well I was in the exact same position several weeks ago, and went with the Hyper ST Pro.. To be honest the only reason I got the Hyper was because it was newer, and was getting a lot of hype and positive feedback...

The ST-1 is older, but still gets a lot of rave reviews... Supposedly very very tough... I don't know what the Hyper ST Pro costs at amain, but the ST-1 Pro I think is $380 - a nice price, especially considering you still have to buy all the other stuff...

So depends on how deep your pockets are I guess...

One advantage of the Hyper ST MIGHT be that there seem to be a lot of Hyper buggy chop shops in the US... I don't know how many parts are interchangeable, but if I lived in the States that would be a factor for me..

Heck, it still is.. - and I still want to find out which buggy parts are interchangeable...

Anway, good luck....

PatrickBW,

I appreciate your position. I kind of lean the same way you went because the Hyper ST Pro is a newer truck and my experience in the past with Thunder Tiger (the V-Spec Mirage mostly) has not been the best, but a lot of folks do rave about the ST-1.

I envy you because you made a decision!
Old 12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
dr.bjm

Hyper st pro over the TTR I would do. Just my opinion.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:32 PM
ericem

I would get the ST-1 Pro over the Hyper st anyday after comparing a RTR to race spec truggy's. So I can't imagine how much better the pro is.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:49 PM
snoking16

the st-1 is $289 at amain
Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Coopz

ORIGINAL: snoking16

the st-1 is $289 at amain

Yeah which is a RTR not Pro

I'd take the ST Pro, friend has one and is happy with it, seems pretty strong with a nice layout. I've had 3 Hobao buggies and they have all been bulletproof, I'd imagine their truggy is the same.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:26 PM
jaywax

I raced a TTR ST-1 most of this season and currently run a Hyper ST Pro. They are both great trucks. You can not go wrong with either vehicle. The Hyper ST Pro has better stock steering than the TTR ST-1, but that can be fixed with a steering mod. The TTR ST-1 is extremely durable and is easy to work on. I never broke parts while racing. Also, TTR parts are very inexpensive. The Hyper ST Pro is proving to be a durable truck as well. I have raced five weekends that include three quals and a thirty minute main and have had no problems other than a screw backing out. That was my fault for not using loc-tite. The Hyper ST has a little better suspension, but not that much greater than the ST-1. I would just flip a coin and go for it. You will love both trucks. Here are pics of both. Side by side comparisons.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76563.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	824386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29497.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	824387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47760.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	824388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xw36893.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	824389  
Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 PM
twomanytoys

You cant really ask which one is faster because with a pro kit the engine will determine which will be faster. The st1 is not that old either. Both are great truggies and the st1 is proven to be bulletproof. Its a toss up. I like the st1.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:00 AM
mtbkym01

ORIGINAL: cobra26

ORIGINAL: mmbc

I can appreciate wanting to be different and not like everyone else, but I want the best Truggy that will give me the best performance so my choice will need to be based on that. If it turns out to be what everyone else has, then so be it. I want the best chance to win some races, so I'm looking for the best Truggy in reliability, handling, and speed. I'm just not sure which one that is!

Should I throw the Kyosho TT-RR into this mix with the OFNA Hyper ST Pro and the Thunder Tiger ST-1 Pro?
If you can afford it, certainly consider the ST-RR also, those big bore shocks are awesome, and the longer wheel base makes it a very well handling trugg, which inturn makes you faster. All Pro truggies have their pro's and con's, whatever you get, you will like
Old 12-13-2007, 11:36 AM
cobra26

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

You cant really ask which one is faster because with a pro kit the engine will determine which will be faster. The st1 is not that old either. Both are great truggies and the st1 is proven to be bulletproof. Its a toss up. I like the st1.

You are right, of course. I should have added, "given the same power plant", is the Hyper ST Pro or the TT ST-1 Pro the better as far as reliability, handling, and speed for racing?

Since I last posted, I have been taking a look at the XRAY XT8 and Kyosho ST-RR. I never thought I would look at such costly trucks, but I can stand losing a race because of my skill and even a mishap with other cars during a race. I just don't want to lose based on the hardware I'm using. Any opinions on these two compared to the ST-1 and Hyper ST pros?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
mtbkym01

IMO, the XT8 and ST-RR are the premier truggies available at the moment, but as said earlier, all pro level truggies are competitive, and I cant imagine you getting beaten by hardware alone. If you can hold your own on the track, you will be quick with all of these you're considering. Check out the ST-R thread, there are a few ST-RR builds in there.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:12 AM
fishingnut

Hey guys, my son has the st rr and we put the .28 lrp engine in. This thing can fly. I drove it in 2 races and it made me look good. When the guys at the track saw this thing they were very impressed, and I belive he sold 3 or 4 more in a couple of days. I'm at best a middle of the road racer but this truck just handles and jumps so good . We can keep up with all the big name truggys . I am getting the st pro for xmass, will put in the picco p3 or the lrp 28. The only changes we made were to the diff oils and a good steering servo.