Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

New Losi 8ight T, Servo Flop, couple questions please

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

New Losi 8ight T, Servo Flop, couple questions please

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 PM
easyrabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Losi 8ight T, Servo Flop, couple questions please

Man I was lazy (I say that like it is abnormal) and got the RTR. Cool, thing runs great, rips, beautiful piece. At about tank 6 throttle servo goes kaput.... man I am just a little bummed and PO'd. I know they will replace that and all but all to often this happens. More often than not something breaks before you have a chance to have any fun at all. That is all I have to say on that matter really... just venting LOL....

I hope maybe some masters can answer a couple questions for me...

a) Does RPM make arms and hub carriers for this baby?
b) If I were to put a better engine on here, which should I get (I will attempt to race this bugger). A good link for racing this bugger would be cool too.
c) Any gotcha's or problems that occur that you can give me a heads up about would be greatly appreciated.
d) Which tires shoud I use? The track I am at is packed dirt and usually watered down. I would like to buy ready made if at all possible due to the fact that I screw up every time I glue a tire or it looks as if my 3 year old son did it.

Other than that, this thing is pretty nice and the radio is great. I realized I can use this on other cars which is great. Motor and all that is making break in a breeze... no complaints really. Just need it to handle my driving and not break for no reason (ex: throttle servo) I will be golden. I feel so bummed this happened since I was so close to being able to have some fun with it LOL.

Many thanks in advance to all guru's who help me out!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 PM
madmax22

Default RE: New Losi 8ight T, Servo Flop, couple questions please

lol dude you have bad luck..... your frozen pull start and now this!!!! lol sorry to hear that! I hear crimefiters are good tires (duuno what kind if surfaces they work good on) sorry man have fun
Old 01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: madmax22

lol dude you have bad luck..... your frozen pull start and now this!!!! lol sorry to hear that! I hear crimefiters are good tires (duuno what kind if surfaces they work good on) sorry man have fun

I know man... If I were a weaker man I would just give up already!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:44 PM
slayerphonics

My throttle servo went out in about 4 tanks, Was a combination of the linkage not set right and a weak servo

A) I'm not sure, I don't think you need to worry about upgrading the arms
B) Alot of people here will say go with a modded .21 depends on your cash flow I got a LRP .28 in mine my buddy is doing the jammin .28
C) Adjust your linkages for your throttle.. make sure the carb is lined up i had to loosen mine and reset it,
a)put washers on the ends of the top arms/rods so they don't pop off
b) make sure your pipe manifold sits good on the engine... my rtr came kinda F'd
c) do a couple alloy upgrades like the braces
D) Not sure

Just upgrade your steering servo and use that servo as your throttle,

IMO
Old 01-16-2008, 05:15 PM
madmax22

Both of my servos went out in about 10 tanks,,,, water+servo=new servos
Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 PM
easyrabbit

Thanks all. It seems that is where a lot of companies cheese out. Kind of a bummer when you are on tank 10, ready to really start using the thing and the servo goes. Down side of buying an RTR for sure.

Many thanks everyone for your input. It will help me out for sure.

Did get through another few tanks of break in so a couple more and it will be time to take it to the track and really mess it up!

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:29 AM
easyrabbit

I swear Losi makes it harder than others to use other servo's. Associated puts out savers for different servo's others make it easy but not Losi. At least not that I can see. I want to put this Hitec in there and do not have a horn that will quite do it so I guess it is going to be shimming and dremmel and what ever else to get it to work....

Or is there a better way?

Old 01-17-2008, 05:31 AM
UG0TB4NN3D
My Feedback: (1)

I like the Sportwerks .26 V2.

You can get an engine with a pipe and rotostart, pulling from a car, for like $120.

[link=http://www.finedesignrc.com/deals.asp?Order_Flag=1&Quantity=1&Description=Losi+LST2+427+big+block+motor&Message=&Alert=0&SRCH_DESCRIPTION=&SRCH_MANUFACTURER=&SRCH_ID=&SRCH_CATEGORY=&PageNo=&RowCount=]Look here[/link]

Scroll down there some.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 AM
easyrabbit

so I was putting the hitec in and the screws on one sid don't seem to fit going back in. Its like they don't fit anymore. I swear I have more problems....
Old 01-17-2008, 10:27 AM
slayerphonics

thats odd I put a hi-tec servo for my throttle.. installed perfect used the horn off the stock servo...
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
easyrabbit

it is like the holes on one side of servo are now to big. Weird. How did u use same horn? The hitec and spectrum have totally different fittings. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:00 AM
slayerphonics

Its an 925mg hi-tec..

Before i bought that servo i tried to use an old traxxas servo I had until i bought a better one.. now that servo didn't work on the losi horn.. but the hi-tec did.

I'll double check, I don't remember using one of the horns that came with the hi-tec

If the holes are to big on the servo for the screws use some washers
Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 AM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

Its an 925mg hi-tec..

Before i bought that servo i tried to use an old traxxas servo I had until i bought a better one.. now that servo didn't work on the losi horn.. but the hi-tec did.

I'll double check, I don't remember using one of the horns that came with the hi-tec

If the holes are to big on the servo for the screws use some washers
Cool thanks, I will be trying to do it now that I got the servo in. It was this little plastic piece that the screws go in to, to set the servo. I had not noticed it when I removed servo and it was sitting on the chassis. I was sitting there wondering how in the hell these screws were long enough in the first place to go in to it. Then I realzied it was loose an just had to be attached up by the servo holes in the radio tray.... not sure if this makes any sense LOL but it is funny they did it that way. Not quite used to working on Losi's yet.

If you figure out the servo thing that would be great. I woul much rather use the stock one. I looked through the bag of goodies and there are no servo adapters there

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM
easyrabbit

Update:

It looks like the Hitec and Spectrum servos have same amount of splines? Seems that the "knobby thingy" fits well on my Hitec. Now just need to hook up linkage and I am ready to rip I guess. That is very cool since I like Hitec. I hear a lot about JR servo's and the speed/torque etc... But I had those on my Mega Baja and they broke right away. Hitec is the only servo that seems to handle my abuse. Not saying I have never broken one but it is a heck of a lot harder. When taking advice I think it is good to take in to account how the advisor drives, skill level etc... Some guys can go to the track and rip it up for an hour without a crash. Me, just a few seconds LOL... Guys that are real good might sacrifice durability for speed/torque or what ever. However how fast can you turn the dang knob anyway LOL... and the Hitec has a servo that handles 333 oz of torque which is more than enough for any of these 1/8 apps....

Bla bla bla... I talk too much but love this stuff. If anyone has any corrections, suggestions, opinions or what ever, bust em out. I'm always trying to learn how to do things better. Pretty new at this hobby and learned pretty quick that little mistakes can not only cost money but a lot of extra time fixing stuff.... not that I don’t like fixing stuff but I would rather run more than fix... LOL...
Old 01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
slayerphonics

I agree you can have to much torque.. some guy at our track last night was complaining of breaking servo horns.. i look and he has a JR9100 its some 300 or 400 oz servo...

IMO anything above 150oz is fine for a truggy

And i haven't timed it yet.. but i don't think i can twitch my wrist in one direction at 600th of a second(.06)
Old 01-17-2008, 02:48 PM
easyrabbit

I agree you can have to much torque.. some guy at our track last night was complaining of breaking servo horns.. i look and he has a JR9100 its some 300 or 400 oz servo...

IMO anything above 150oz is fine for a truggy

And i haven't timed it yet.. but i don't think i can twitch my wrist in one direction at 600th of a second(.06)
For real... That guy breaking horns probably does not have the proper saver or it is to tight... or he just drives like I do. I get myself in to the worst possible positions to inflict the worst possible damage LMAO...

Old 01-17-2008, 03:20 PM
slayerphonics

All part of the fun, i go to my track thinking time to have some fun, lets break something

nothing seems to want to break on my 8ight yet
Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 PM
easyrabbit

All part of the fun, i go to my track thinking time to have some fun, lets break something

nothing seems to want to break on my 8ight yet
Let me drive it for a few minutes. I got the new servo on and all seems to be working ok. Gonna try and get to the track real quick and maybe run it there but mostly to run my XT2...

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:35 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: easyrabbit

If anyone has any corrections, suggestions, opinions or what ever, bust em out. I'm always trying to learn how to do things better.
Be Careful on who u take advice from....Just because they have a bunch of junk listed in there sig means Nothing...Some are FUll of BS and have NO CLUE what they are even talking about...keep an eye out.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 AM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: easyrabbit

If anyone has any corrections, suggestions, opinions or what ever, bust em out. I'm always trying to learn how to do things better.
Be Careful on who u take advice from....Just because they have a bunch of junk listed in there sig means Nothing...Some are FUll of BS and have NO CLUE what they are even talking about...keep an eye out.
You mean there are people who dont know what they are talking about out here???? Oh man thanks for THAT warning..... see all the cars in my sig? I dont have a clue as to what I'm doing half the time.

Just like with anything else. You take the advice from different sources, weigh it all out and find the right way... or at least the one that works for you. I'm happy to get advice, good or bad. Actually I think I would rather have bad advice on topic than hater warnings off topic. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 05-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Jim8ightT

Is there any thing that can be done to stop the breaking of servos or is there a servo that can handle the losi flaw??? reshearching before i buy a truggy thanks James
Old 05-30-2008, 03:51 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: JatoJim

Is there any thing that can be done to stop the breaking of servos or is there a servo that can handle the losi flaw??? reshearching before i buy a truggy thanks James
Well this is the first I hear of it. I have not even had time to fix my servo but I was going to do it untill tomorrow. What is the flaw. I am tired of fixing Losi servo/steering flaws. I just figured out my MLST now this? UGH. I am going to throw a Hitec in there and judging by what I see there I may put a servo saver from Kimbrow (or what ever). I will let you know how it all works out hopefully soon.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Jim8ightT

thanks all i've seen as that you can buy a stiffer spring for the servo saver and that usally dosen't work please let me know the servo issue is the only real thing holding me back... I bought a traxxas jato and well replced everthing traxxas due to i bash to hard and push my rc truck too hard lol plus traxxas couldn't make a killing if they used durablity in there design. Plus the hobby shops get a kick back for selling ther crapy replcement parts...... [:'(]
Old 05-30-2008, 04:16 PM
easyrabbit

thanks all i've seen as that you can buy a stiffer spring for the servo saver and that usally dosen't work please let me know the servo issue is the only real thing holding me back... I bought a traxxas jato and well replced everthing traxxas due to i bash to hard and push my rc truck too hard lol plus traxxas couldn't make a killing if they used durablity in there design. Plus the hobby shops get a kick back for selling ther crapy replcement parts...... [:'(]
Maybe just putting a normal servo saver on the servo would solve the problem, as long as it can handle the abuse. Also, I bet we could find a stiffer spring from a hardware store,Traxxas (probably already tried), something to stick there. I dont know. I did beat mine up a bit and it took a while for the stock servo to break. However it broke on my 3rd lap at the track.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:33 PM
j_blaze

if you're talking about the throttle servo the only thing i've heard of that works is to take out the rear servo tray screw so the tray can flex sideways and not twist under load.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.