Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

I want bigger shocks for my Hyper ST Pro..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

I want bigger shocks for my Hyper ST Pro..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:36 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I want bigger shocks for my Hyper ST Pro..

Well I haven't gotten much feedback in the Hyper ST Pro thread, so I thought I'd just ask everybody.. It's very possible that I'll end up using my HST Pro for bashing, and for me that means lots of air.. And when I look at those whimpy looking tiny stock shocks, well, I have doubts..

Now, I've heard there are some Ofna 16mm which I imagine would be direct bolt-ons??

And are they identical to the Jammin 16mm?? I see the prices are different on ebay..

Are there any other bigger shock options worth considering??

Thanks...
Old 01-31-2008, 01:56 AM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I want bigger shocks for my Hyper ST Pro..

i believe the hyper runs longer shocks than the jammin, so using jammin shock will limit your suspension. measure the length of your shock and maybe people can compare?

the only other big shocks i know of are the kyosho big bores, and kmw's...
Old 01-31-2008, 04:07 AM
Bongi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m very interested in the outcome of this, just bought a Hyper ST Pro and I agree, after seeing the 16's from Jammin in jealous as hell, is there options available for the ST?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 AM
slayerphonics

What about the losi 8ight shocks?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 AM
supertib

Do not underestimate a Truggies suspension.... Patrick that Hyper ST suspension is far superior to anything you have ever run, that HYper will land jumps that would kill every vehicle you own......Trust me your shocks are fine, drive that Hyper ST before you go overhtinking its design......Truggies can land jumps that will kill a Savage, Revo or LST.....Part of a Truggies magic is its designed to bottom out on big jumps, and that allows it to easily soak up huge impacts..... IMHO run the machine, do not judge untill you drive, these machines are very different, and very well engineered, they will survive jumps that will turn your other machines into scrap parts..... your Hyper ST actually has a proper suspension MT"s use gimmick suspension to appeal to the newb's.... Watch a MT take a 65' quad jump and watch how it bounces 6 feet off the track on landing LOL....watch a Truggy land the jump without a hickup...sure it bottoms out, but it stays planted and does not bounce .... Mt guys needs to relax and have faith !! many poople much smarter then us have designed these truggies to take big hits and big air.....Us macguyvering our own suspension really is only going to messup the balance and capabilities...

Patrick this is not aimed at you

nothing makes me laugh more then MT guys slapping an extra 4 shocks on their Truggies because they feel the stock suspension isnt good enough LOL as if their home brew engineering will improve the machines capabilities......... Truggies are meant to bottom out, that is what allows them to land massive jumps and not bounce all over the place...the more suspension you add, the harder the machine will re-bound off the jumps and the worse its handling will become...........
Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 AM
HerrSavage

Well for bashing I care less about handling, and more about durability. These shocks are frankly tiny. Maybe they ARE tough, but they sure don't look it.. I've got 60 wt oil in and they're sagging way too much for my liking. I at least want some harder springs..

This racing thing is looking like it ain't gonna work out here in Germany.. WAY too beauracratic and expensvive(I'd have to join a freakin' club, which would include a €180 registration fee, plus €100 annual fee, plus €75 for a transponder... All to participate in like 3 races surrounded by people I probably would never hang out with anyway... Stupid....) Anyway, so I'm gonna remain a basher, and to be honest I prefer the bashing side of things anyway.. And as I've said so many times before, bashing for me means AIR.. So if I get the chance to launch this little Hyper 20 feet up for a double backflip, I don't want to explode all my shocks right away.. And very much counter to what you say, yes my Savage, LST2, and Muggy shocks are all up to the task.. I've never busted a shock, and I think this is attributable to having good hard springs and the right oil..

Plus, just look at these badgers.. Now those are shocks:

Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I'll take [link=http://lstvideos.com/12062006/triple.wmv]this[/link] or even [link=http://lstvideos.com/03032007/tripple.wmv]this[/link] over chassis slap, all day long.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
supertib

I give up !!!!!!!! I am done offering advice to people who bloody will not listen.........

Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 PM
savagedriver

Now your on the right track super............if they dont want to listen or dont care you shoudnt either............. its there problem not yours, just laugh at them and keep moving, quit worrying about it....................at least thats what my shrink told me last week
Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: savagedriver

Now your on the right track super............if they dont want to listen or dont care you shoudnt either............. its there problem not yours, just laugh at them and keep moving, quit worrying about it....................at least thats what my shrink told me last week

Yes ! I am done offering people advice....if they want my expertise they can pay me for it !!!!! other then that the free ride is over ... plus its far too stressful constantly defending myself from these hooligans all the time....
Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM
slayerphonics

Even big shocks break,

My friend broke his shocks on his muggy doing 30+ foot jumps
I broke my shocks on my revo doing the same jump

The size of the shock doesn't matter when the plastic ring on the end breaks or the rod breaks in the shock,

Belive what supertib says truggy shocks are designed to take jumps and bumps,

Bashers always think they are harder on trucks then racers.. and it is simply not true,(I used to think when I was just a basher I was harder on the truck then the track, but when i started racing i relized that this was not true) so when guys like supertib who are racers tell you about durability they know what they are talking about from experience.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM
qaiz

ORIGINAL: supertib

Yes ! I am done offering people advice....if they want my expertise they can pay me for it !!!!! other then that the free ride is over ... plus its far too stressful constantly defending myself from these hooligans all the time....

Totally on the mark there Supertib.

Love it the way you get blasted for even asking a question on a thread that isnt yours.

Always valued your advice/opinions a lot, you've really done great work. Let the people who dont want to listen be, people like me still need guys who actually know what they're talking about.

Thanks for the great work super.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 PM
HerrSavage

[sm=50_50.gif] Why can't I decide for myself what I want for my truck?

Um, I did that.. I want bigger shocks... Or at the very very least, stiffer springs.. I wouldn't jump this truck as it's set up right now half as hard as I would my other trucks... (btw, people who bust Muggy or LST2 shocks have either too soft oil or springs, or both... Or they're just going REALLY big... My LST2 and Muggy both have passed the test as far as shock durability goes - with flying colors.... They might bust next time out, but given what they've proven so far - that's all good.. Everything else from here on out is just bonus-durability... Not that I've really had the chance yet to go as big as I'd like, but I've jumped A LOT, and often not all too well - especially getting too nose high off a jump, having to hit the brakes, bringing the front shocks slamming down on landing...)

I couldn't care less about shaving half a second off my lap time.. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?............ I know truggy forums are predominantly populated by racers, but face it, bashers are people too, and they're here to stay.. If I listened to certain other people I wouldn't have a Savage, LST2, or Muggy - all of which I like a lot, and let me do what I want to do - thank you very much.... BTW, I'm not saying they can't, but if truggies can handle such big air(over and over), I'd love to see some vids... By all means, post 'em up!..

Anyway, back on topic.............., I guess the Hyper's still too new so not many people have had enough time to experiment with them...

I would still be very keen to see some pics of the bigger 16mm Ofna or Jammin or Kyosho shocks mounted up on a Hyper...
Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

Even big shocks break,

The size of the shock doesn't matter when the plastic ring on the end breaks or the rod breaks in the shock,

Bashers always think they are harder on trucks then racers.. and it is simply not true,(I used to think when I was just a basher I was harder on the truck then the track, but when i started racing i relized that this was not true) so when guys like supertib who are racers tell you about durability they know what they are talking about from experience.

Of course big shocks break.. Everything breaks(but some things less than others - those are the things I want...)

And I don't doubt racing is hard on trucks.. But bashing - and I have slapmafro, beaverstick, redneckbashers, and co in mind when I think of bashing - not cruising around the backyard..., but really going for it, is undoubtedly hard on trucks.. I think racing trucks and bashing trucks have different kinds of strain... Racing trucks have more constant wear-and-tear, but they're not often doing imperfect flips, big 20 foot airs, cartwheels, etc... that goes with bashing... Bashing is more like powerlifting, racing long distance jogging, if you like......(that's a weird analogy, but oh well, I'm brain-dead after a 12-hour day...)
Old 01-31-2008, 02:39 PM
slayerphonics

good analagy, id agree with that, big shocks look cool to like that picture of muggy farther up the page
Old 01-31-2008, 03:47 PM
jombo

good analagy, id agree with that, big shocks look cool to like that picture of muggy farther up the page
dude you just flip flop your opinions like a politition i am gonna stay far far away from you

2d i am with you, i didnt want to say anything because i had enough poking with the sts30 chassie slapping is just not my thing if it were true why in rally cars or other real off road racing dont they slap their chassie .if you ask me its asking for breakage and i dont see how you can defend that. these cars dont have unbreakable screws or made of titanium just 7075 aluminum and enough stress everything breaks

and patric find the biggest shocks you can find because this rule of thumb works for this too
theres no replacement for displacement, the more fluid the more dampening the more dampening more air good luck
Old 01-31-2008, 04:26 PM
slayerphonics

How do you figure?

Cause i said big shocks look cool?

They do on the muggy.. I'm not putting them on my truggy,

And the track and bashing are 2 diffrent types strain.. track is endurance test and bashing is like a bliztkreg(did i spell that right?)

I'll start picking apart when you contradict yourself in the slightest.

And rally cars don't slap the chassi cause they weight more then 9 pounds.. you can't compare a 1/1 scale care to an 1/8 scale.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:54 PM
jombo

these things are based stadium trucks and every post that i have read you always change your mind dont be a wanna be do your own thing
Old 02-01-2008, 10:43 AM
slayerphonics

So because I listen to someones opinion and they make a valid point and i recognize it.?

Jombo.. you need to learn how to humble yourself.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 PM
supertib

Even big shocks break,

I am not a racer really..I go bash on the tracks alot, but I very seldom compete in races...when I am at the tracks i am usually helping all my racers with their engines and setups, so much so I seldom have my own rig setup........I am a basher really, but I know full well racing is much more punishing then bashing, and these Truggies are engineered to be extremely tough................ As well the thicker the fluid and springs int he shocks the bigger the chance they will rupture, as your increasing the hydraulic pressure inside the shock itself... These machines are engineered to bottom out on big jumps, the energy is distributed thru the whole machine.....trying to soak up the big jumps using the shocks alone will put massive strain on parts not engineered to do so......Its very typical of MT guys coming into Truggy to start trying to re-engineer their Truggies as they think the engineers who made the Truggies must have missed something............. Anyways a Truggy does not need to be skyjacked to do big jumps, and in fact jacking the suspeinsion up ( tighter springs and thicker oil) will only lead to faster shock damage then having a thinner oil................ SO patrick you thickening up the suspension is in fact going to risk more damage then less.....either way its your truggy run it any way you wish...hell jack the bugger up, add 4 extra shocks and then add a 2 speed then you'll have the ultimate bash Truggy LOL
Old 02-01-2008, 01:07 PM
HerrSavage

If they come out with a 2-speed for the Hyper I just might...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:25 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

If they come out with a 2-speed for the Hyper I just might...

i wanna try a 2 speed as well...

Just like me you have also run center diff and know what a center diff is about... unfotunately quite a few guys buy their first Truggy and dont even try the center diff before they install a 2 speed LOL.........

Not that its any of my business what people do, but i do shake my head when I see someone buy a nice Truggy like a TTR ST-1 because he's heard soo much praise about Truggies... But before the guy even runs the Truggy as the engineers designed it he adds 4 extra shocks and a 2 speed and gears the machine to do 70 MPH LOL........... Well at this point he no longer has a real Truggy and still hasn't even seen what Truggies are truly capable of..........most of a Truggies magic come from their suspension and center diff... I have seen countless newbs castrate their nice Truggies before they even hit the dirt..........

My point is these race caliber machines like you Hyper ST Pro are amazing and they have a very solid foundation of engineering and race testing behind them...A Person should truly run the machine from the factory default setup before they even consider altering the mechanics of the machine..... Honestly it would be like some Redneck installing GM parts on a Porsche because he figured the GM parts looked beefier....... Anyways my strongest advice is to run these Pro grade Truggies as they come from facotry, then tune 1 thing at a time to get the setup that works for you...... Truggies do not use their shocks to soak up big air, they rely on chassis slap.... Shock oil weights and spring rates are used to tune the handling of the machine, not its impact taking abilities.... attempt to soak up the big jumps using the shocks and you will be busting shocks ends and blowing shock caps likes crazy...........The truggies are built like tanks, a 20 foot drop is nothing to them at all, they cannot be damaged by chassis slap as the energy is very well distributed..............Trying to bring a MT mentality into these Truggies will only laed to problems, as the engineering and principles are much different...
Old 02-01-2008, 02:04 PM
ericem

Perfect explanation once again. There is no MT that can handle as high of a jump as a buggy or truggy. Even full scale rally cars they just bottom out on the chassis.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
HerrSavage

I just don't believe that.. There's a reason - and a sense - why HPI came up with the Savage TVP's in the first place...

Nowadays MT's are "out" cuz racing and truggies are the current big fad. I don't believe they make better bashers... Of course they handle better than Savages, but there's not a track within an hour of me, so when I'm out in the park with my ramp I don't really care about handling.. I'll tell you something else too - all the cliches in the forums notwithstanding, I LIKE the challenge of driving a Savage.. Keeping it from flipping over takes skill, and I just like having to concentrate more on what I'm doing..

I mean, I recently totally busted up a servo on my LST2 dropping down from like 10 feet.. Landed on a rock I think.. Wouldn't have happened if I'd a had the heavy duty front skid plate..

Anyway, I just can't imagine it wouldn't be harmful for a truggy chassis to come down from 10-15 feet and land on a sharp rock, all of the force focussed on one spot on the chassis...

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know... I'm (VERY) not interested in arguing about any of this.. But I jump my trucks as much as I can, and I have to be honest, I don't break stuff very often.. This servo breaking on the LST2 in the vid I'll post below was bad luck..

Here, look at the vid and tell me what would've happened to my soft-shocks truggy.. The jump at the end isn't nearly as extreme as I would like to do - but what can I say, I only have the places to bash that I have, and am always on the search for bigger jumping possibilities...

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...nterJumpin.flv

A BIG part of what got me hooked on this hobby were the vids and attitude and everything from the vids from like 2-3 years ago from Beaverstick, Slapmafro, Redneckbashers, etc... And yes, you can bust up a Savage, and they sure as heck did theirs..., but until I start seeing similar vids of truggies doing the stuff that those guys were doing with Savages, I'm going to have my doubts....

Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 PM
jombo

here is proof about rear chassie bit slapping, the bolts holding the motor finally gave way and the heads on the crews broke . now if i didnt listen and had the suspencion stop the truck on huge jumps the motor would'nt of fatieged the motor mount bolts.
believe what you will but proof is right here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27938.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	867084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87963.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	867085  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.