Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Why buy a mbx5t or 8ight

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:59 PM
JChrisjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy a mbx5t or 8ight

What makes these truggys more popular to the pro's and high end raceing they look like every other truggy but more coin. I have a TT ST-1 and it is durable and full tunable, so I am just curiouse.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:02 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Why buy a mbx5t or 8ight

Well for one, if they're pros they don't have a choice - OR have to pay for them...

JK - I nearly bought an RB928 last year off a Robitronic driver here though, who - because Robitronic als distributes Axial - had to switch to Axial engines.. Whether he wanted to or not...
Old 03-16-2008, 04:21 PM
INTEGRA

go to a track...and ull find out Very Quickly why some products are Inferiour compared to other's....and why a True Race truck costs 2X what the ST-1 does.....Imo the ST-1 is A great starter truck...and thats it.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:26 PM
JChrisjohn

well been to the track many times, and I have seen people with built st-1's and all others and they all seem about the same, exspecially when they have the same motors and radio, and high end servos, I just want to know what an mbx5 will do that a st-1 with a dx3, v-spec, steering mod and servo can't do.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
MightyMouse75

It'll get you laid because chicks dig the name.. MUGEN.. say it again.. MUUUUUGEEENNNN .. yeah..
now say this...
Thunder tig.... .. what was I saying?.. took too long, the moment is lost....
Old 03-16-2008, 05:47 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

ORIGINAL: MightyMouse75

It'll get you laid because chicks dig the name.. MUGEN.. say it again.. MUUUUUGEEENNNN .. yeah..
now say this...
Thunder tig.... .. what was I saying?.. took too long, the moment is lost....
lol Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmin
Old 03-16-2008, 06:45 PM
jay863fl

.. took too long, the moment is lost....

You can probably see a Dr for help with that problem.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:16 PM
JChrisjohn

I don't know about you but I'd rather not get laid by chicks runnining arout our track, kinda scary[X(]
Old 03-16-2008, 07:18 PM
madmax22

LOL! Yuo guys are a bunch of haters![:'(]
Old 03-16-2008, 07:38 PM
IL2mSturmovik

Track bunnys are hotties frequently
Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 PM
MightyMouse75

I'm going to have to go to a track one day and pretend I'm racing.. I won't let people see my car, because I'd be gettin my arse kicked more than likely..

Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: revo238

well been to the track many times, and I have seen people with built st-1's and all others and they all seem about the same, especially when they have the same motors and radio, and high end servos, I just want to know what an mbx5 will do that a st-1 with a dx3, v-spec, steering mod and servo can't do.
I've been to the track many times also and in my area I can honestly say I have never seen one race..well..The only one I have seen was Saxton's and he got smoked..was like last qualifier..But the competition was stiff though. It did not seem like the ST1 was liking the track to much..I'm sure It's a fine truggy and if you feel like it's on par with what everyone else is running why sweat what others think about it..including myself..
Old 03-16-2008, 08:04 PM
JChrisjohn

thats where your wrong no sweat here, and I have no idea if it's on par, and if it's not could care less, in 6 mo I will build another truggy either way, just curious like I stated before.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:40 PM
MightyMouse75

thats where your wrong no sweat here, and I have no idea if it's on par, and if it's not could care less, in 6 mo I will build another truggy either way, just curious like I stated before.
it'sl... "I COULDN'T CARE LESS".. .. what you said means you really do care. since you could care less .....

Sorry, that just drives me nuts, I hear people say it 5 times a day ..
Just keep in mind that the other two truggies you mentioned may have some better parts on them. (captured pins, universals, aluminum braces... etc...). There may be some very key components that make the others worth the price difference.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Oasis TR

well been to the track many times, and I have seen people with built st-1's and all others and they all seem about the same, especially when they have the same motors and radio, and high end servos, I just want to know what an mbx5 will do that a st-1 with a dx3, v-spec, steering mod and servo can't do.
Win at a BIG RACE....Just an opinion but for the most part Truggies like the ST1 and the GS XUT dont have a very big race team, so they dont spend a lot of money on R&D, GS does have a larger Team in Europe and Asia though. I'm quite sure that "IF" Thunder Tiger really wanted a Pro Level (On Par with Xray, Losi, Kyosho..etc.) they could build one no problem..And on the " they all seem about the same"..The details are whats it's all about, The good truggies dont need a "steering mod", dont need to be "built", You brought up the Mugen..As far as I know the Prospec doesn't really need any hop ups, no mods to make it work. (the BEC chassis does make it work better on blown out tracks..so one mod but it's not necessary) On the Servos..If you expect your truggy to turn you need at least 200oz of torque for a steering servo (most I know use 300oz or more) But just because it looks the same doesnt mean anything, steering angles can be different, motor placement, chassis length, the list of subtle differences goes on. On paper the HPI Hellfire looked like it would be really good..to bad they did not work on the details..Contrary to popular belief (on this board anyways) their are better truggies out their than the ST1..flame on..[8D]
Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 AM
jay863fl

Oasis TR "The details are whats it's all about"

Agreed, but lets be honest, most of us arent pro drivers. I know personally the one biggest factor holding me back is driving skill. And for what its worth, I see the Hot Bodies Truggy winning the local club races all the time against Losi, so......yeah, maybe at a higher level it matters more, but for the level of racing I am at right now, the ST-1 is fine. Remember you have to finish a race to win and all the CF in the world wont help you drive better.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: jay863fl

Oasis TR "The details are whats it's all about"

Agreed, but lets be honest, most of us arent pro drivers. I know personally the one biggest factor holding me back is driving skill. And for what its worth, I see the Hot Bodies Truggy winning the local club races all the time against Losi, so......yeah, maybe at a higher level it matters more, but for the level of racing I am at right now, the ST-1 is fine. Remember you have to finish a race to win and all the CF in the world wont help you drive better.
Too a point that is true but you will be surprised if you get someone to let the drive there different truggies that some suite peoples driving style more than others and you can be a little faster with different brands. If not then at least you look cool with all that CF! LOL
Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 AM
MightyMouse75

Look at it like this if you will.. ..
Winning the races doesn't always mean you have the fastest and best handling truggy out there. Everyone on the board agrees that it's 90% driver and 10% truggy (well, maybe not that much, but you get the point)... BUT..... you can take the best driver every, give him/her a truck that can't finish a race because parts break and then what? it's no longer 90% driver... it's 100% truck that loses the race. You cannot control the other drivers, and therefore have no control over how long you go without getting hit by another truggy.. It's the "details" that will keep your truggy moving. It's the better 7075 CNC machined chassis, and braces, and hubs that keep you moving, it's the thicker sturdier control arms that don't stop you in your track, its the captured pins that keep your truggy in one piece.
Take the K8T for example. I'm sure it's a GREAT truggy, shares a lot in common with the mbx5t right? but it requires, this .. this... and this. and that thing to make it just right.. Well, the mbx5t takes the guess work out of it.. you buy a product and get results.. right out of the box. .. Now the K8T may be just as good after say 4 mods that only cost about $20 each .. maybe $30.. now you spent only $470.00 on it, but the mbx5t Prospec is still $590.. ok, so I'm sure there are a few "OTHER" things that make the prospec a little better, but I don't know and I wont get into that..... Now ... let's say you bought the K8T.. it wasn't good enough, so you went to make some adjustments.. you're one of the few with the truck.. .. will it only cost $120 to bring it up to snuff? Not likely.. In fact, by the time you finish experimenting and picking and choosing what you want and where you want it you probably end up spending more on the K8T than you would on an 8T or a prospec.. You pay for the R&D and the strength of the materials. NOT the name. How do you think these companies got "the name"... You pay more for a BMW, because of the name? no, because it's better.. Lexus and Toyota are the same cars.. no, Toyota=K8T, lexus=Prospec.... The toyota is great, I love ours, but if you need that little more, that extra niceness you spend the extra $$ and get the Lexus..

***Note I never raced my truggy, so all my basis for what I've just said is completely derived from my buttocks... But there is much truth in it ****
Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 AM
vnmsgt

Winning the races doesn't always mean you have the fastest and best handling truggy out there. Everyone on the board agrees that it's 90% driver and 10% truggy (well, maybe not that much, but you get the point)... BUT..... you can take the best driver every, give him/her a truck that can't finish a race because parts break and then what? it's no longer 90% driver... it's 100% truck that loses the race. You cannot control the other drivers, and therefore have no control over how long you go without getting hit by another truggy.. It's the "details" that will keep your truggy moving. It's the better 7075 CNC machined chassis, and braces, and hubs that keep you moving, it's the thicker sturdier control arms that don't stop you in your track, its the captured pins that keep your truggy in one piece.
Take the K8T for example. I'm sure it's a GREAT truggy, shares a lot in common with the mbx5t right? but it requires, this .. this... and this. and that thing to make it just right.. Well, the mbx5t takes the guess work out of it.. you buy a product and get results.. right out of the box. .. Now the K8T may be just as good after say 4 mods that only cost about $20 each .. maybe $30.. now you spent only $470.00 on it, but the mbx5t Prospec is still $590.. ok, so I'm sure there are a few "OTHER" things that make the prospec a little better, but I don't know and I wont get into that..... Now ... let's say you bought the K8T.. it wasn't good enough, so you went to make some adjustments.. you're one of the few with the truck.. .. will it only cost $120 to bring it up to snuff? Not likely.. In fact, by the time you finish experimenting and picking and choosing what you want and where you want it you probably end up spending more on the K8T than you would on an 8T or a prospec.. You pay for the R&D and the strength of the materials. NOT the name. How do you think these companies got "the name"... You pay more for a BMW, because of the name? no, because it's better.. Lexus and Toyota are the same cars.. no, Toyota=K8T, lexus=Prospec.... The toyota is great, I love ours, but if you need that little more, that extra niceness you spend the extra $$ and get the Lexus..

***Note I never raced my truggy, so all my basis for what I've just said is completely derived from my buttocks... But there is much truth in it ****
Only thing the K8T needs is ONE thing for everyone who buys it, and that is the captured hinge pins. The rest is up to the owner if he thinks he needs it or not. BTW the K8T kit comes with ALL 7075 CNC aluminum Chassis, shock towers, and chassis braces just like the mugen. What else does it need?.... Nothing unless the owner prefers the smaller center diff gear, does not bother me or any Jammin guys. Me personally, I do not care for carbon fiber, I know it is a little lighter. I have a friend with the mugen he bought at the same time and besides the captured hinge pins and CF I cannot see a single thing better about the MBX5T oh and he broke an arm already. I am not saying the Caster is better. Just you say it "requires this... this... and this and that" when it does NOT. Only my one upgrade IMO (hinge pins) cost 20.00 retail.

Off topic but I love your note on the bottom of your post!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:57 AM
MightyMouse75

My point was only that there is usually a lot of R&D that goes into the trucks and the more R&D the company does the more it costs.. I'm sure there are other benefits to owning a Mugen over a K8T, but I can't debate it, as I really don't have ANY info at all... I could be 100% wrong too.. The Castor Truggy is not worth this discussion though.. Not enough people have them yet (from what I see on the boards) and they do pull a lot of their design from the Mugen, and... they are in a "full race" form.. I think the Thunder Tiger is missing a lot of what both the K8T and the Mugen have... I could be wrong though.. Perhaps later on I will go check out all of the specs on the Thunder tiger, and the prospec and compare the two. I can't really do that for the K8T, since they don't have much info on the Castor website about what comes with the truck..

***** NOTE #2 ... I was looking at getting the Castor Racing truck, but they are costing around $400 now and I can get the 8T for not much more ***
Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 AM
vnmsgt

My point was only that there is usually a lot of R&D that goes into the trucks and the more R&D the company does the more it costs.. I'm sure there are other benefits to owning a Mugen over a K8T, but I can't debate it, as I really don't have ANY info at all... I could be 100% wrong too.. The Castor Truggy is not worth this discussion though.. Not enough people have them yet (from what I see on the boards) and they do pull a lot of their design from the Mugen, and... they are in a "full race" form.. I think the Thunder Tiger is missing a lot of what both the K8T and the Mugen have... I could be wrong though.. Perhaps later on I will go check out all of the specs on the Thunder tiger, and the prospec and compare the two. I can't really do that for the K8T, since they don't have much info on the Castor website about what comes with the truck..

***** NOTE #2 ... I was looking at getting the Castor Racing truck, but they are costing around $400 now and I can get the 8T for not much more ***
I think your right about that. I do not blame you for saying you can get the 8T for not much more, it is a safer bet for someone who wants to know for sure any info about the truck and have parts more readily available. Should be more people like you on this forum that do not really comment or bash about what they have not driven but say up front they no experience with one and am just saying what they think. 8ight-T is a great truck. I have driven my friends a couple of times and it is very smooth but IMO drives more like a buggy which is not bad but I think very twitchy for a truggy. If you do decide on the 8T then make sure all you endpoints for your servos are set or you will go through some servos. My friends constantly check there's then you should be fine. That thing is race ready out of the box!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:40 AM
slayerphonics

I just gotta say something about this 90% driver 10% truck crap I hear everyone saying,

I don't care how good of a driver you are if your gas cap decides to go bad your out of the race,
If your steering servo dumps, your out
if your motor blows your out
if an axle slips out your done

I can go on and on and on and on about truck failures, that no matter what kind of driver you are your out.

10% truck? I think not,

closer to 40% truck 60% driver,
Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 AM
MightyMouse75

Yes, I agree 150%.. if you go back and read my post you'll see that I said the same thing.. it's 90% driver, until something breaks. then it's 100% truck...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

Only thing the K8T needs is ONE thing for everyone who buys it, and that is the captured hinge pins. The rest is up to the owner if he thinks he needs it or not. BTW the K8T kit comes with ALL 7075 CNC aluminum Chassis, shock towers, and chassis braces just like the mugen. What else does it need?.... Nothing unless the owner prefers the smaller center diff gear, does not bother me or any Jammin guys. Me personally, I do not care for carbon fiber, I know it is a little lighter. I have a friend with the mugen he bought at the same time and besides the captured hinge pins and CF I cannot see a single thing better about the MBX5T oh and he broke an arm already. I am not saying the Caster is better. Just you say it "requires this... this... and this and that" when it does NOT. Only my one upgrade IMO (hinge pins) cost 20.00 retail.

Off topic but I love your note on the bottom of your post!!!

the Castor lacks plastic quality...very very fragile machine..... it looks like a Mugen, but its nowhere near as durable as a Mugen.....
Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
jay863fl

Well, for what its worth, I think its in the details. Very very very very fine details. I mean, who are we kidding? All truggies are probably within 95% of being the same. It doesnt take an engineering degree to look at a Mugen truggy compared to a ST-1 and see the similarites. Lets see, 3 difs, engine mounted inline with drivetrain on the left of the chassis, fuel tank in front, 4 shocks, etc. If I build a Jay247200 brand truggy, and it weighs the same as, has all the same adjustments, etc as a Mugen, then in theory they should go exactly the same. I am still with the its more the driver than anything theory ASSUMING you arent using parts made from tissue paper that break when you look at them. Honestly I have watched about 4 or 5 truggy races so far, and ALL of them are built like tanks, I have yet to see one break. I saw one guys losi 8 lose some of the motor mount screws, and another lose a wheel nut but the way some of you guys talk you are just happy to finish with less than a $400 repair bill. Id be willing to be Saxton in his ST-1 could probably spank all of us with any truggy we had.

Edit : Mightymouse, I looked at the ST-1 website [link]http://www.thundertiger.com/product/6233.html[/link] and the Mugen [link]http://www.mugenracing.com/index_mbx5t.html[/link] the similarites are quite suprising.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.