Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Punching holes in tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Bongi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Punching holes in tires

I''m reasonable new to the RC scene, and I have been racing since the beginning of this year. I keep reading and seeing people punch holes in the tires, I am not sure why, all I can think it is to let water out, if you are riding on a wet track. All rims have holes in the inside why do people still punch holes between the tread of a tire?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:02 PM
FalloutMan

Default RE: Punching holes in tires

The holes are for when you land, the air inside goes out instead of staying in and allowing the tires to bounce. think of it this way: a basketball that is full and has no holes bounces well. a basketball that is filled all the way and has a hole in it will not bounce at all, or very little. which is better on a track where the shorter you are in the airm the faster you go?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Bongi

I get that part, I though that was why there are holes on the inside of the rims, so you could have the same result if you enlarged those holes?
The track i race at is sometimes wet and sometimes dry, i agree there will be a advantage in the dry but surely on a wet track all you will be doing it making you tires heavier?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 PM
FalloutMan

I just realized you said the tire itself. I dunno why anyone would stab holes in their tires. it would seem really pointless. I just make the holes in my tires bigger.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 PM
jay863fl

They put the holes in the tires, and plug the ones in the rim due to the centrifigul forces acting on a wheel. If its in the tire, it will try to sling the crud OUT of the tire, rather than if its in the rim it tries to push the crud INTO the tire.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 PM
INTEGRA

Venting wheels can be done Manyous of ways....It boils down to personal preference in the end.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I punch 4 holes in each of my tires, it gives dirt and moisture escape path and extends the life of the foams.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 PM
FalloutMan

why would foam life matter when you replace em with new ones when you get new tires? Like someone said a couple posts up, its all personal preference. My tires don''t usually last longe enough for a lot of crap to build up, or it all disolves when I boild the wheels so I never see it.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:20 PM
2DMaxLST!!

The holes in the outside diameter of the tire allow dirt and dust to escape extending the life of your foams.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:18 PM
slayerphonics

i''ve seen a few guys at our track do that to there tires, I personally would never do that, I''ve seen there tires split too, OOO i have a photo.. BAH! I can''t find it, I''ll try to get it, later. I think I posted it in the truggy pic section.

I understand the force pulling the dirt out of the tire. But with the inside hole plugged and when the tire deflates from landing and then sucks air back in.. or your riding on wet clay, it just seems like more opportunity to get in.

2D has giving some great advice on RCU, most be some logic to it i''m over looking
Old 04-16-2008, 03:35 PM
INTEGRA

Slayer...guarenteed Ur buddy's didnt use a Hole punch....they prolly Cut Diamonds with side cutter's...and thats why they tore....a Nice round hole wont do any damage what so ever....I vent my tires both inside and outside.....I used to only vent inside...then the tire's would fill up with Small particle's of sand and little rocks...U can hear them if u shake the tire around......So now i vent the outside with a Holepunch as 2D posted and have yett to have any dirt Inside the wheel.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:39 PM
madmax22

I vented my tires and dont really seem to find a difference. riped my foams out and they look pretty clean so i guess its true.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Vigilante212

Yea I took tires apart after about a gallon and my foams were shot from dirt and sand that got it the rim holes. I plan on punching the outside holes on all my tires from now on.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Bongi

Do you guys have any idea of some of the more well known Pro's do this, they probably go through tires so quickly they don’t care about punching a hole.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Bongi

I get the hole for venting, but sure this can only be for dry tracks, I have seen someone with vented tires ride on a wet track, the foams drew up so much water that his wheels became to heavy and by added all the mud sticking to the tires he barely cleared jumps he was so slow.
After the race I saw that his tires did not even keen shape anymore, if you pushed on the side, your finger impression would just stay in the tire, Like having a flat on one side surely this can not be good!