Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Gotta be patient n this hobby!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Gotta be patient n this hobby!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 04:10 PM
shankdog626

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta be patient n this hobby!!

How do you guys and gals feel about what it takes to have fun,
race, bash, get parts, break parts, fix em, clean em etc....?

Seems like it takes a lot of patients all and all.
I know I, with only 1 LHS (and it's lame) semi close to me
it's hard to get parts in your hand quickly and not too costly.

I find myself using A Main Hobbies for everything I need
and that always comes with a shipping fee to boot.

Tracks are closed more than there open seems like or
they are running racing event for buggies or certain
bigger events which kinda excludes the common weekend racer.

All thoughts welcome
Old 06-01-2008, 04:24 PM
sloppyG

Default RE: Gotta be patient n this hobby!!

that's sort of what makes the hobby fun, you build something, go break it, order parts, put new parts in

I like getting parts in the mail, it's like my birthday (except I pay for the junk)

I actually like online shopping for stuff better anyways, you can shop whenever you want, and won't end up driving 30 minutes only to find out the LHS doesn't have what you need anyways
Old 06-01-2008, 04:39 PM
j_blaze

not enough clubs out there i guess. and by clubs i mean several people that bring shovels, rakes, bulldozers, tractors, clay, calcium, pipe, hose, lights, everything. not just a club that you pay a membership too once a year and expect all the work to be done and the track ready for you when you show up. gotta have the actual racers out there once in a while shoveling dirt. i'm lucky to have the top rc track/club in florida 15 minutes from the house and i'm there every weekend. club races there every week there are no major events nearby. no snow, hobby shop is 10 minutes from the track and the shop owner partly runs the track and is super cool, he beats amain prices. it is great here, sorry to hear it is harder elsewhere.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:01 PM
ProRCRacer88

Hobby shops that are less than an hr from me really are full of it. Their prices are over the top and everything else they charge as far as services, etc is overpriced. I only buy fuel, plugs if they have the ones I use, nitrospray cleaner, little stuff like that. But if in need of a part or something, im online buying it. Plus shipping is far better than when they shops order it, you could be waiting at least a week before the part(s) come in. But when i order it, i can get it as fast as i want it and the prices on stuff is cheaper. Only hobby shop id order or get anything else from is about an hour away from me and they have a nice offroad track in the back, i go there about once a month and when i do go i always spend good money there. Prices match or beat amain prices too and they let folks practice on the track for free.

Other than that, i will never leave this hobby, i found that rtrs are a big waste for the most part and the kits are the only way to go. Everysince I brought my first kit id never looked back. Really started having fun at that point because I didnt have to worry about stuff breaking unless I really made a bad mistake in driving and wreaked hard enough.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Oasis TR

I have been involved in RC racing for 24 years, For me it's as much fun as when I first started..It's a lot easier nowadays than when I first started, when i started it was a major accomplishment to just finish 4 minutes of off road racing..sorta of like watching a novice MT race now..lol..if you want everything to go smooth and never have any problems..stay away from RC's..it wont always go how you want it to go..relax..your having fun..remember
Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: ProRCRacer88

Hobby shops that are less than an hr from me really are full of it. Their prices are over the top and everything else they charge as far as services, etc is overpriced. I only buy fuel, plugs if they have the ones I use, nitrospray cleaner, little stuff like that. But if in need of a part or something, im online buying it.
That sort of attitude and behavior leads to less and less hobby shops.
Shops don't get by on your little cleaner purchases, and ordering online only takes the hobby further away from you and everyone else. Soon it'll be only online shops, no storefront hobby shops and no shop-owned tracks and then where will you be?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:23 PM
shankdog626

Thankfully out here in the SoCal desert, we have saved the offroad track behind the
store we recently lost. Can't wait to help redo the track and start having some races
there again. Don't get me wrong I too love the package in the mail full of exactly
what I ordered but it's also cool to have a place to talk about RC and hear what
everybody else is doing too. Being sort of outposted out here none of my friends
are into RC and it used to be cool to have a shop to hang out at and buy stuff
and also have some other people to bounce things off of.

I'm only 4 months into it but I think it is an awesome thing to do and very family
friendly if you choose to make it that as well. Shoot, I don't even have a buggy
and I'm going to drive and hour just to go WATCH the buggy nationals next weekend
and say hi to the few people that have already extended whatever help and advice
they could give me in the last few weeks at the track in Beaumont, Ca. (Thunder Alley).

Maybe I'll see some of you there !
Lemme know if your going...I know I've seen OasisTR at Revelations a couple weeks ago.

Shank
Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 PM
viper463

The only actuall shop near me is a joke the guy only sells what he likes and he doesn't like to order anything for a car that he doesn't sell. He's real big into the mini and micro stuff so nitro is right out. The other shops that are near are hobby towns and well I would sooner quit the hobby than shop there. So that leaves me with online shopping.. The closest track is over 1 hours west of me and the next closest is around 2 hours east. I've been in this hobby for a very long time and I've seen hobby shops come and go. This was well before internet shopping I know the internet has hurt the lhs sceen but if they would have actually done something in this area to futher the hobby they might have survived... The funny thing is King Headz parts are made less than 10 minutes from my house and still no track or good shops.. That is what I call frustrating...
Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

It doesn't seem to make much sense for your lhs to stock parts just for you or because you think he should. He stocks what he sells, that is just common sense and since you have no nitro tracks near you there seems little reason for him to stock highpriced items he can not move. I hear a lot of you guys grumbling about no shops and no tracks near you and all I can think is little wonder that is the case. Support your lhs or lose it. Support your local track or lose it. Otherwise it is back to backyard bashing and waiting for the mail.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 PM
ProRCRacer88

ORIGINAL: rckt_mtrspts

Hobby shops that are less than an hr from me really are full of it. Their prices are over the top and everything else they charge as far as services, etc is overpriced. I only buy fuel, plugs if they have the ones I use, nitrospray cleaner, little stuff like that. But if in need of a part or something, im online buying it.
That sort of attitude and behavior leads to less and less hobby shops.
Shops don't get by on your little cleaner purchases, and ordering online only takes the hobby further away from you and everyone else. Soon it'll be only online shops, no storefront hobby shops and no shop-owned tracks and then where will you be?
Well for one, its not liek im out there trying to brainwashing people to buy what the shops dont have cause its better im saying how I prefere to do things. LHS's around here are more of dealing with traxxas, hpi, duratrax... makers like those who make rc's more for the beginners. I dont run that stuff so for those like me who also dont run the stuff, have no use going in there and ordering from them when you could go online and get as fast as you want it at your doorstep. Not sayin anything is wrong with those makers(except duratrax) but thats what most hobby shops specialize in around here. And yea they probably dont get by that good on small purchases like i mentioned above in my earlier post, but more and more people are "stepping up" and buying race kits and stuff to race with or bash with, so if hobbyshops wont step it up and have the good stuff on the shelfs for those who run other cars, then they wont last long. When folks buy the rtrs and then they see some1's pro kit car running circles around their car, they typically want to go get something better shortly after.. do they not? I seen it happen many times. I remember a few years ago when I use to run onroad cars, i had this 1/8th serpent and went to the parkinglot where we usually drag raced back then. A guy seen it run and was asking all kinds of questions about it and the next thing I know he got a 1/10th serpent race set up. Just an example that hobbyshops should carry a variety of rc parts and stuff rather than be all for the mainstream rcs that you usually see on ebay when folks want to upgrade to something better. Am i right, left, or wrong?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:14 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

Shops typically stock what they sell the most of. If people in your area that has no close track primarily buy basher-grade trucks then what good would it do him to stock high-end race trucks that might sit on the shelf for months? You might do one thing and have certain buying practices, but that is not what the industry sales show. Bashers make up the majority of the market and they don't tend to buy much in the way of highend stuff.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:40 PM
ProRCRacer88

But im saying weather folks around here bash or race, they are turning to more of what the shops sell than what they do sell. Theres a hobby shop 5 minutes away from me who is going out of business because of him not having much of what people buy now a days. Oh and show me some of these industry sales showing that there are more people buying bashers than racer rc's.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:26 PM
RcRacer37E

Its all part of the game. When I fist started I ran oval only, it was cool and all, rush evo with a .12 rb v12 that screamed. I never cleaned it and cant remember breaking any parts. Then I jumped into off road.
Parts broke, took more skill than just left left left all night. After every race I tear it down and clean it up for next friday nights race. Im luck, I have a team kyosho driver that runs at the track and parts for the strr or wc sp2 sp1 are plenty. Its ruff to win though, about the only way anyone has a chance is if he breaks or isnt running.
I suppose the main goal in rc racing is getting noticed. Most states run rc state series, rc pro series and then the bigger events like roar series. Once you catch the eye of a futaba rep, or Byrons fuel or pro line tires things start to pay off. Cheaper fuel, tires parts and for those who get to be good, say Ryan Lutz or Adam Drake, things are given to you and you make cash money, say six figures cash money.
Right now Id be happy with fuel sponsership, or tires. Who know, I may never see any reps, then again, I could be the next fella on rc drivers cover.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Damin69

I really enjoy the hobby. I love the working on and building of the kits. I am by no means a pro but I love getting out to the track. Problem is I live in the middle of Nowhere. The track I consider my home track is about 50 miles away. The Hobby shop that was associated to the track has closed this year. Being in the boonies and not having a LHS to go to Makes me rely on Online ordering of parts. And now will have to rely on it for Fuel also.

Now the closest hobby shop is over 60 miles away and they do not carry any Mugen parts. So I only use them when I need other items in a pinch like fuel which gets expensive to run and get when it cost almost $20 round trip to get fuel for the buggy and truggy.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

But im saying weather folks around here bash or race, they are turning to more of what the shops sell than what they do sell. Theres a hobby shop 5 minutes away from me who is going out of business because of him not having much of what people buy now a days. Oh and show me some of these industry sales showing that there are more people buying bashers than racer rc's.
With the literally hundreds of models on the market how in the heck do you think your lhs is going to have one of each of them let alone stock any quanity of parts for them? If you want industry figures go through any online superstore and count the numbers yourself and you'll find way more basher RTR kits than actual race vehicles. How about your buddies, are they racers wanna-be racers or actually just bashers. Do the math, it should be obvious.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:34 PM
ProRCRacer88

Now your blowing it out of proportion, and missed my whole point. I specifically said most shops stock the beginner and basher rc parts and stuff. And then I said if they sold a bit of a variety then they would get more sales, never said nothing about them competing with the big online super stores. All my buddies are racers or run racer kits and setups. Weather people bash or race, the point im trying to make is that more and more are turning to kits rather than rtrs, good race motors rather than sport motors, 2.4GHz controllers, digital servos. Shops dont usually stock this stuff like the online shops do.

Out of couriosity, what are you, basher or racer and what do you drive?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Pathous
My Feedback: (12)

At the hobby shop I work for we sell Savages about 4 to 1 of anything else. There are a few people who race or want to race but mostly bashers. We don't have any off road tracks close and the guys running on road usually are just using a parking lot and are unorganized.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:02 PM
viper463

It doesn't seem to make much sense for your lhs to stock parts just for you or because you think he should. He stocks what he sells, that is just common sense and since you have no nitro tracks near you there seems little reason for him to stock highpriced items he can not move. I hear a lot of you guys grumbling about no shops and no tracks near you and all I can think is little wonder that is the case. Support your lhs or lose it. Support your local track or lose it. Otherwise it is back to backyard bashing and waiting for the mail.

Did you read my post or did you just scan through and then start typing? I said he only sell what he likes and he won't order parts for a kit that he doesn't sell. So if I go in there and ask him to order me a set of arms for my Kyosho he won't because he doesn't sell that kit and he feels that he shouldn't get parts for it. I never said that he should stock anything but at least he should be willing to order some parts when I'm willing to pay up front. Is that grumbling well maybe it is but it's also a justified grumble, or should I just go in there and buy what he is selling because he's my lhs even though I don't like the mini and micro rc sceen? That to me would be crazy. Support the lhs even if they don't want to order anything you want. Sounds crazy doesn't it? But hey maybe that should be his slogan...
Old 06-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Oasis TR

Now your blowing it out of proportion, and missed my whole point. I specifically said most shops stock the beginner and basher rc parts and stuff. And then I said if they sold a bit of a variety then they would get more sales, never said nothing about them competing with the big online super stores. All my buddies are racers or run racer kits and setups. Weather people bash or race, the point im trying to make is that more and more are turning to kits rather than rtrs, good race motors rather than sport motors, 2.4GHz controllers, digital servos. Shops dont usually stock this stuff like the online shops do.

Out of curiosity, what are you, basher or racer and what do you drive?
I know that my local hobby shop has in the past bought upper end racing products..only to see them gather dust, yet stuff aimed at the entry level and bashers fly out the door.. and this hobby shops prices are competitive with most on line shops when you figure in shipping..in fact I bought my new spektrum DX3R for $299 out the door from them..but the hobby shop i deal with understands me and i understand them..plus i live a block away and if i want to order something they let me place the order on the computer..so if it's wrong it's my fault..lol..but it's not very cost effective to have your inventory tied up in a product that has a very short term shelf life..IE: Shop had bought some Bow Ties for MT/Truggies about the time they got them the Racers wanted the "New" LPR Bow Ties..now their stuck with 6 sets of tires that the racers no longer want..I have seen it happen with electric and nitro motors..but they are very cool and will order stuff all the time for us racers..I go in on a Monday order it most of the time I'll have it on Tuesday..the next day..cool..order Tuesday, Wednesday most of the time I'll have it on Thursday or Friday..I get the same service from another hobby shop as well..but they are the mom and pop type of shops..and me I'm a racer..I dont bash..ever, just race. I have a few truggies but for the most I race a Kyosho ST-RR and a Mugen MBX5T..sometimes a Caster K8T or my Race Revo..Sometimes I'll race on road..but for now off road
Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 AM
RcRacer37E

Viper, how true... My hobby shop is 90% traxxas and they order all their stuff from horizon hobbies. Last I looked, they dont sell the good kyosho stuff, perhaps thats why your lhs like mine, cant or wont order kyosho parts.
RC tracks are far and few. More tracks need built for sure but finding investors is hard, they feel the risk isnt worth the reward. I'll be in Indy for round 2 of the pro series race, thats a 4-5 hour drive. If your going to race that weekend, look for the RJD trailer,loads of kyosho parts.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 AM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

Maybe I'm over-simplifying but I am not blowing it out of proportion. I got your point but you are missing mine. Saying that if shops "sold a bit of a variety then they would get more sales" is silly. Especially if you consider, like I said before, how many hundreds of RCs there are on the market. I tried to help you rationalize the whole concept but since you have refused to listen I'm done. Oh, I'm totally a racer and have dozens of cars and trucks.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 AM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: viper463
I said he only sell what he likes and he won't order parts for a kit that he doesn't sell. So if I go in there and ask him to order me a set of arms for my Kyosho he won't because he doesn't sell that kit and he feels that he shouldn't get parts for it.
I find that hard to believe but would be interested to know the actual rest of the story from the hs's end. I am done debating this as you seem more interesed in arguing. I was just trying to help you understand and since you aren't lisitening I am done. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 AM
viper463

double post sorry..
Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 AM
viper463

ORIGINAL: viper463
I said he only sell what he likes and he won't order parts for a kit that he doesn't sell. So if I go in there and ask him to order me a set of arms for my Kyosho he won't because he doesn't sell that kit and he feels that he shouldn't get parts for it.
I find that hard to believe but would be interested to know the actual rest of the story from the hs's end. I am done debating this as you seem more interesed in arguing. I was just trying to help you understand and since you aren't lisitening I am done. Good luck.

I'm not trying to argue with you but if you are going to try to make me realize something then you also must be willing to listen and possible realize things yourself.. The main point I was trying to make and maybe it didn't come across is this I always thought someone opened a hobby shop because they loved the hobby and wanted to have a career in the industry. I love this hobby and I try to be as helpful as I can when I'm at the track or out at the park with friends and I really kinda thought that was what the whole rc hobby was really about having fun and also helping out others. If a lhs is not willing to order parts or even a kit when asked what are they doing. I understand there is a need to make profit but what is a shop owner going to loose if they order parts or even a kit for someone who is willing to pay up front? If they can't get the parts because their distributor doesn't sell them then that shop should just tell the customer that and everything would be fine but with shop owners like the one in my area thats not the case he simply won't order them. We used to have a local track at a park but the park shut it down because of the noise LOL and when the track was open he had all the hi end kits and parts in stock so I know he can get what I have asked for. So I ask you, why would I or even why should I support my lhs? If I as you put it "loose it" what am I out? I know this may be a rare case as far as a lhs go but it is what I have in my area. Once again I didn't ask him to stock anything just order what I was willing to pay for up front... Now as far as your comment about me not listing now I am going to argue a bit... You don't need to come off with that pretentious attitude with me. I think you may need to step back for a moment and realize that things may be different in other parts of the country. You must have a good lhs in your area and that is great for you but some of us do not. You may even be a owner yourself, but if how you have acted towards ProRCRacer88 and myself is any insite on how you actually are then it really is no wonder why this hobby is struggling... I'm sorry if this is upsetting you but your attitude is really poor toward people like myself. I may have come across with a attitude with my second post but your attitude was the reason for that.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:13 PM
ProRCRacer88

Maybe I'm over-simplifying but I am not blowing it out of proportion. I got your point but you are missing mine. Saying that if shops "sold a bit of a variety then they would get more sales" is silly. Especially if you consider, like I said before, how many hundreds of RCs there are on the market. I tried to help you rationalize the whole concept but since you have refused to listen I'm done. Oh, I'm totally a racer and have dozens of cars and trucks.
Sell a "Bit of variety" is what i been saying, does not mean "sell some of everything" like your trying to make it seem like im saying. You the only one jumping on me about nothing because id rather order online than do it over the shops around here who either overcharge, takes too long, or just wont order it. You probably can get everything you need for the cars you run from the shops in your area, which is why your jumping on me and others in this thread about not supporting the shops like you probably do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.