Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

8ight-T temps

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
SycoCell
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8ight-T temps

Just wondering what a good range in operating temps are? Also what fuels are you guys using?

My truck loves to run at about 210-230 racing, generally around 220. It's running on 20%. What temps are you guys running?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:05 PM
trx2.5maxx

Default RE: 8ight-T temps

thats a good temp 230-250 bottom off the tank if you run 30% you might see a drop in temp and a boost in performance you are running jac which is a good fuel . i run jac 30% and dont really see temps above 240 at the bottom off a tank
Old 06-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Jamie22

I run around 205-220 on trinty 30% fuel
Old 06-29-2008, 03:40 PM
SycoCell

Sounds good. I'm on my last bottle of Jac. It's not sold here where I live. I can only get it up in Daytona. Ever used anything else in your truggy?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:12 PM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

Traxxas top fuel is good to me. I have a choice of 2 fuels here. Sidewinder and Traxxas. It makes good power and I was able to lean it out 3/4 to 1 turn just to get it back up to race temp over the sidewinder. So I guess you could say it runs cooler. Ive converted 3 guys at the track to it over the sidewinder.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Oasis TR

You should never tune to motor temp..smoke and how it runs..
Old 06-29-2008, 07:38 PM
SycoCell

Yeah I mostly tune now for performance and smoke. I actually have my truck a bit richer than factory. I love how it runs like that. And i figure that i'll get the most out of the Mach. By the way, i'm surprised people put LRP's and such in these things. In my opinion, i think that the Mach 427 has tons of power.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:58 PM
phattracker

ORIGINAL: Oasis TR

You should never tune to motor temp..smoke and how it runs..

Man, thats true. All the way. However, Good smoke, good sound and pull it in and take a temp and its 300+. Then the sight and sound method is gonna F you. Its a good idea if your new to take temp readings often, atleast until you are comfortable with what your mill is doing. Peace. No disrespect.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 PM
SycoCell

Yeah I still am going to take temp readings all the time. But I'm past that stage of spending my whole day trying to get a temp that i'm not. Oh well. I'm content how this baby runs. My MGT loves to run around 280 though haha.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 PM
phattracker

+1 if your happy, thats all that really matters. Have fun.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Oasis TR

Don't get me wrong..I still use a temp gun also, I do write temp, conditions..ambient temperatures, time of day, settings..etc down in a race journal (i know what a dork..lol) it helps me understand how to stay ahead on my tuning..I have run some of my motors as high as 260 (it was 110 outside) and as cool as 190 (it was in the 40's)..conditions can change to drastically to rely on just a temp gun..i will never be offended by someone else's opinion on RC..it is your motor after all..
Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 AM
Logi3

Running at 190F is more likely going to damage your engine as the liner is not getting to a high enough temp to expand, your piston will be slamming into the liner which will be very tight, casuing stress to the rod etc

If you have healthy smoke and the car sounds good you cant go wrong. If it sounds good its running good, if its smoking it means the engine is getting lubrication. Up the track, some cars are running 230f screamign there balls off and the likes of the Go engines are running 260~270f screaming there balls off. Both puffing out blue smoke.

So it also depends on the engines too, try running a go engine at 230f it wont even be able to turn the wheels. I tried it, and the poor thing couldnt move! go it back up to 250 and it was running but groggy. litlle leaner (run at 265~270) and it was screaming with healthy smoke!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:12 AM
SycoCell

Sounds good. Another thing:

My engine doesn't like to idle longer than lets say about 15-20 seconds. It sounds good idling, but then it slowly just dies out. I've heard these Mach's don't like to idle past 10 seconds. Is this okay?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Logi3

Yea that nots too bad, the problem is that idling causes fuel to build up, so it ends up way rich and overloading the chamber. You want about 15-20secs as normally the car wont be upside down aslong as that.

Best thing to do if you car has been stationary for 10 seconds + is just lift it up and blip the throttle, clears the throat
Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 AM
SycoCell

Yeah that's what I do. If i need to put the body on or something, i'll usually just tap the throttle or trim up the throttle and trim it back down when i go to use it again.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Oasis TR

ORIGINAL: Logi3

Running at 190F is more likely going to damage your engine as the liner is not getting to a high enough temp to expand, your piston will be slamming into the liner which will be very tight, casuing stress to the rod etc

If you have healthy smoke and the car sounds good you cant go wrong. If it sounds good its running good, if its smoking it means the engine is getting lubrication. Up the track, some cars are running 230f screamign there balls off and the likes of the Go engines are running 260~270f screaming there balls off. Both puffing out blue smoke.

So it also depends on the engines too, try running a go engine at 230f it wont even be able to turn the wheels. I tried it, and the poor thing couldn't move! go it back up to 250 and it was running but groggy. litlle leaner (run at 265~270) and it was screaming with healthy smoke!
On the 190 temps..I also had this concern (I have been running nitros for a while..) I did talk to the novarossi rep when i raced at the novarossi race..and I was told that the 190's are fine as it is enough heat..I had even wrapped the head in foil..but you are correct on the low temps being as bad as the high temps..but thanks for the "lecture"