Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

2.4 radio vs fm

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 radio vs fm

Ya I am new to the hobby what are the main advantages of the 2.4 radios vs the Fm style radios. I think it has something to do with the frquency is the 2.4's a better radio???Just need info on radios, espacially considering I may be buying a rtr truggie and maybe will upgarde the radio.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:18 PM

Default RE: 2.4 radio vs fm

2.4gHz radios offer the advantage of a secure channel that no one can disrupt on you. FM has specific channels on which they operate and if someone near you with another FM radio happens to have the same channel as you, they can wind up causing your radio to glitch and not allow it to control your vehicle. In fact, they could wind up contolling YOUR vehicle without even knowing it. This cannot happen with 2.4gHz radios as they operate on unique frequencies that they pick at the time they are turned on, and the frequency they lock onto cannot be chosen by any other radio.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:33 PM

thanks for the info that helps is the 2.4 really that much better other than interference?
Old 05-16-2009, 06:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I, against the major trend..., still run the original FM radio from my LST2.. - in three trucks and a buggy.   You do have to be more aware of who's doing what around you, but 1.) I don't bash with other people too much to have to worry about it too often, and 2.) racing, most everybody else has DSM anyway so that's almost never an issue at the tracks where I go...

Also, I really don't like what I hear about Spektrum range problems...  That would seriously p.iss me off...

I really can't complain about my FM radio...  Range is further than I can see, it never glitches, etc..

The DSM radios and receivers are expensive..., and often have a bunch of features most people will never use anyway.  Like with home stereos, etc..    

Ultimately, for me anyway, so far the price and need don't match, so it just doesn't make sense...
Old 05-16-2009, 06:38 PM

Is anybody else having issues editing posts??...

Anyway, as to investing in a DSM system, it's really dependent on where you run, if often with other people, if you really care about all the  features, etc..  It's not like a fancy engine will make your truck suddenly drive perfectly or anything..  You'll still have to set up the suspension right, tune the engine right, and on and on...

Eventually I guess I'll get one.  But for now I'd rather spend the money on engines, etc..
Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 PM

thanks this helps thats what I figured, I plan on getting a rtr RCT8 or X2, and wanted to know if a rtr radio needed to be upgraded or I could just wait and put money into other stuff! thanks again
Old 05-17-2009, 02:25 AM

Once again, I can't edit..  Of course I meant it's not like a fancy RADIO will make you faster...

I don't know what the Jammin has for a radio, but the new Asso radios aren't that bad are they??  Digitial, etc..
Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 AM

ORIGINAL: marlcidlosi

thanks this helps thats what I figured, I plan on getting a rtr RCT8 or X2, and wanted to know if a rtr radio needed to be upgraded or I could just wait and put money into other stuff! thanks again

A radio from an RTR works fine, but it is something you will out grow as your car/truck/buggy/truggy tuning and driving skills grow. FM radios aregreat and can have just as many usefulfeatures as a comparable 2.4gHz radio,and forless money. However, with FM you do have to be mindful of others around you to be sure no one is on the same frequency as you are. With 2.4gHz this is not an issue, and the earlier range problems with 2.4gHz really don't exist anymore with a quality set. Again, an RTR radio is fine and will serve you well, but if you really get into this hobby you will find that sooner or later you will out grow its limited capabilities.