Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Winter Truggy Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:50 AM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Truggy Build

Hey guys,

Been a while since I was in the car business, but now that my basic training and tech school are over, and I'm finally at my first duty station, I was thinking of getting into a truggy. I've never owned a truggy before, but I have owned MT's and a couple stadium trucks before I got into planes. Anyways now that I'm in NORCAL, I want to get into a truggy for some track time, but I also want to have something to bash while I'm on base bored.

I was thinking of the O'Donnell Z01-T. I did a search and didn't come up with alot of results. I've been reading everything I can find, mostly where it was new and not many people had seen/driven one. My main reasons for picking this one, is it seems that in the short amount of research I've done, some companies have steered away from full kits, and have gone to RTR's or Race Rollers, and I want to build one from the ground up. This way I know the car inside and out, as well as being able to set up the fluids, as well as camber, castor, toe, ride height, and droop as is best suited for what I'd like to use it for.

I haven't been able to read up on tracks close to me, but seeing as how San Francisco and Sacramento are both within 45 mins of me there has to be some. I have also not been able to read up on the newest rules at those tracks concerning engine size. I know when I got out of the scene, a .21 was considered race legal, and anything else was in the outlaw class. However, alot of the truggies seem to be coming standard with a .28. If that's true my set-up would be as follows:

O'Donnell Z01-T Kit
OS .28XZ(p) engine (I guess I'll need a box? Suggestions?)
Futaba 3PM transmitter

That's as far as I've gotten, but I'd like to ask some opinions on a set-up, before I commit to anything.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Hoese37

Default RE: Winter Truggy Build

Also look into an Associated RC8T. It comes as a full kit too. For truggies a .28 is the max allowed to be legal. For a box look into an OFNA Truggy start.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:58 AM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

I have the Hot Bodies D8T and love it. At $369 at AMainHobbies.com right now it's hard to beat (where I bought mine). Shares 80% of it's parts with the Hot Bodies D8. I enjoyed assembling mine, parts fit and quality is excellent. Probably one of the best bargains in Truggys right now.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:59 PM
bcltoys

Caster sells a kit you have to put all together. 449.00 on sale now holeshothobbies.com.But its electric.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mugen MBX6T....... unmatched quality and durability
Old 08-19-2009, 01:39 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cold_reboot

I have the Hot Bodies D8T and love it. At $369 at AMainHobbies.com right now it's hard to beat (where I bought mine). Shares 80% of it's parts with the Hot Bodies D8. I enjoyed assembling mine, parts fit and quality is excellent. Probably one of the best bargains in Truggys right now.

we've been busting our D8 quite a bit...seems the rear bulkhead/diff carrier is very weak and likes to crack open on hard landings.....4 have broken so far.... great driving machine, but if the breakage keeps happening then its not worth the few extra $$$ you save.....