Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

truggy or mt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:41 PM
sexydingles
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: truggy or mt?

don't know about rtr's too much i shy away due to the fact that 9 times outta 10 you're going to end up spending the money anyhow- but i know jammin makes an rtr i've heard some good stuff about them... the kit anyhow
Old 09-15-2009, 06:01 PM
INTEGRA

the jammin may be a great truck n all....but imo its has 1 big down side....the CVD's or rather U-joint style drive shafts are Not Rebuild able...and at 50$ a pair for replacement's....it hurts the wallet big time....a local buddy who run's big mod .28's is now regretting beating on his gear for so long without serious maintenance as he's now lookin at a 150$ bill for bone's Alone....Mugen Losi AE Xray All have rebuild able CVD's
Old 09-15-2009, 07:34 PM
sexydingles
My Feedback: (2)

i can't argue your point because i don't run em, i just see whats at the track. theyre really 50 bucks a pair... what a ripoff
Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
rider313

ya if i got the RTR alls i could see myself replacing is the front servo but i've heard the front one is good.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:00 AM
bhcvc

I have a TTR ST-1 RTR and haven't replaced anything, including the steering servo (which is the one that's usually replaced). I'll likely replace it soon though as I want a more responsive servo with more torque, but that's about it. The RTR radios aren't the greatest (except the Losi 8T 2.0 Spektrum radio), but they work fine. My ST-1 radio has interference issues and I tried 2 different crystal frequencies, so I switched to another radio I have (I have a bunch of AM and 1 FM radio). Other than that, the only thing that's been damaged is I bent a rear lower arm hinge pin (which I just bent back straight-ish) and a bent alignment pin for the rear brace, both from really hard and bad landings on the tail.
Since you're looking at the high-end RTRs, pretty much any of them will be fine. The Losi 1.0s developed a lot of slop in the drivetrain and other drive parts quickly and I'm not sure if the 2.0s addressed that. But all of them work great. Mugen MBX6Ts, Tamiya 801XTs, O'Donnells, HB D8Ts, XRays, etc. only come in kit form, so that rules them out. AE RC8T, Losi 8T 2.0, and Jammin X2 would all be great choices.
Everyone said from the beginning that truggies handle much better than an MT. I still love bashing with my MT more so than my truggy, but that's in my bash spots which have sharp transitions from concrete to dirt, rocks, logs, etc. The LST wouldn't handle as good on the track, but for me, running my MT on the track is still fun. Sure, the truggy will lap me 10x but I'm there for fun, not to race my MT against his truggy.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 AM
rider313

ya i am pritty set on the RC8T RTR right now, if i feel the need to buy a starter box than i will ans still be under the cost of a losi 8ight or XXL
Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 AM
INTEGRA

PS/Roto SUCKS...that's all i will say.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM
GravityJunkie

The CRT cvds are $37 for a pair at amain. You can get a set of 4 on fleabay for under $50. It sucks that they are not rebuildable, but I run a hot brushless in mine and they hold up for quite a while before needing to be replaced.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
INTEGRA

Not the X2 Lightweight version's that buddy has and wants.....these are the one's im referring to.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Universals-2

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Universals-2

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ersal-Shafts-2
Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to edit a couple of posts due to tickets being raised re: the language used. Please remember that abbreviations for filtered profane language are also not permitted. Thanks. Carry on!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:27 PM
GravityJunkie

Gotcha. I just wanted to let'em know that you can score some CVDs for a reasonable price. Yup, you wanna hop up your cvd's and you're gonna have to pay.

Do you know if any of the rebuildable cvds would fit a CRT X2? When mine are at EOL, I wouldn't mind replacing them with rebuildable ones.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage
People differ as to whether truggies are so great for bashing.. I only run mine on race tracks.. For me bashing means getting huge air and being able to plow through higher grass and rough stuff than what I think most truggies are capable of...

That said, truggies can be pretty tough.. (my Muggy was crazy tank-like tough..) Still, they belong more on a track IMO..(not the Muggy - truggies in general..)
Wow, for once I actually agree with you.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:02 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: GravityJunkie

Gotcha. I just wanted to let'em know that you can score some CVDs for a reasonable price. Yup, you wanna hop up your cvd's and you're gonna have to pay.

Do you know if any of the rebuildable cvds would fit a CRT X2? When mine are at EOL, I wouldn't mind replacing them with rebuildable ones.
After the first rebuild i was asking myself the same question.....found out Kyosho STR bone's were supposedly a direct swap except having to use a 3mm hex as the stock X1's used a 2.5mm pin in the hex if i remember right......so i bought a couple pair's but promptly sold the truck before they were ever installed....so i couldn't tell you if they are 100%...but im pretty sure they are.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
neillarson
My Feedback: (1)

From what I can see, you run the same way I do, Bash, Bash, Bash and a little race. It comes down to what you want to spend. Every MT and Truggy that was called a POS on here, someone has had great luck with, and everyoine that someone said was the greatest thing since sliced bread, someone else had trouble with. So here is what I did, I bought an E Revo and went brushless. With LiPos I was neck and neck with the Nitros. On our local track I blew away the Savages and Maxx's along with a few 1/10th scale truggies. Then I decided to go up a bit in the food chain. First was a LST XXL, after 5 months of trying to get the thing to run right, including my LHS trying, I gave up, stripped the radio and sold it as a engined roller for 300 bucks. I bought an MGT 8.0 and LOVE it, what a blast to drive, wheelie on command and ZERO breaks. When I was able to get the XXL to run, it did out handle the MGT, beter suspension but I am not sure I agree the the 454 is a better motor. Only complaint on the MGT is the clutch wear. Next I went back to 1/10th scale and got a RC10B4 and an RC10T4, both FT and they reminded me of how good AE stuff is. I just bought an RC8Te and will have it finished this weekend, just waiting on the motor.

I cannot be happier with AE and have yet to break a single part on any of them. I did break a few on the XXL and I have broken a lot on m,y Traxxas. But even on the Traxxas, I think there is a lot to be said for entry and mid level bashers and Traxxas did a great job. If you are sold on nitro, I would go RC8T oir look at the e version if you are open to LiPo, but if you want to go beat the stuffing oput of it and make big jumps and not worry about turning 8 cartwheeles (as I do some times) on the landing, the MGT 8.0 is great.

SO here is where I ended up this year on trucks: LST XXL (Sold), Losi 1/10th Scale Slider (Sold), Traxxas Rustler (sold), AE MGT 8.0, AE RC8Te, AE RC10T4 FT, AE RC10B4 FT, AE SC10, Losi Strike, Traxxas E Revo BL, Traxxas E Revo, Traxxas Summitt, Traxxas Stampede (an absolute blast), Traxxas Rustler VXL and a Losi Highroller.

Have fun with what ever you buy.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:09 PM
rider313

ya i love the sound and the way nitros run. i would much rather lisen to a nitro go screeming down a straight that a electric motor so screaching by. dont get me wrong i think the brushless and lipos are fast as poop, i just prefer nitro.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 PM
INTEGRA

Watching an 1/8 brushless and Owning/driving one for yourself is a Whole different ball game.....dont hate it till ya tried it.....and 1/10 brushless does Not count.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bhcvc

I have a TTR ST-1 RTR and haven't replaced anything, including the steering servo (which is the one that's usually replaced). I'll likely replace it soon though as I want a more responsive servo with more torque, but that's about it. The RTR radios aren't the greatest (except the Losi 8T 2.0 Spektrum radio), but they work fine. My ST-1 radio has interference issues and I tried 2 different crystal frequencies, so I switched to another radio I have (I have a bunch of AM and 1 FM radio). Other than that, the only thing that's been damaged is I bent a rear lower arm hinge pin (which I just bent back straight-ish) and a bent alignment pin for the rear brace, both from really hard and bad landings on the tail.
Since you're looking at the high-end RTRs, pretty much any of them will be fine. The Losi 1.0s developed a lot of slop in the drivetrain and other drive parts quickly and I'm not sure if the 2.0s addressed that. But all of them work great. Mugen MBX6Ts, Tamiya 801XTs, O'Donnells, HB D8Ts, XRays, etc. only come in kit form, so that rules them out. AE RC8T, Losi 8T 2.0, and Jammin X2 would all be great choices.
Everyone said from the beginning that truggies handle much better than an MT. I still love bashing with my MT more so than my truggy, but that's in my bash spots which have sharp transitions from concrete to dirt, rocks, logs, etc. The LST wouldn't handle as good on the track, but for me, running my MT on the track is still fun. Sure, the truggy will lap me 10x but I'm there for fun, not to race my MT against his truggy.
bhcvc, to get around your hingepin bending issue I actually run titanium hinge pins (can't remember what brand, maybe traxxas?). I've actually bent them on 20 foot jumps, but never broken one since. This ST-1 is a rock and with my JPX .28, it's insane. Likely the most durable truggy you can buy, though I've upgraded the heck out of mine. But I guess that's what you're buying when you go AE (owns TTR) .
Old 10-01-2009, 06:58 PM
rider313

oh no i dont hate brushless truggies or buggies, i just have absolutly no expereance with batterys or electric for that matter, i am a engine guy, i prefer gas/ nitro becouse i understand how they work, heck i even have troubles with my recivier bat. lol