Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
 HB D8T Engine Recommendations? >

HB D8T Engine Recommendations?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

HB D8T Engine Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HB D8T Engine Recommendations?

Hey guys,

I'm considering an HB D8T kit, and curious about which engine you all would recommend for it. Have a spare Picco .28 available at the moment, but that hasn't been the most reliable engine. Would an HPI K4.6 get the job done? If not, what would be best? The K4.6 has been great in the Savage X.

Also, any opinions on the D8T itself? Overall durability? Any weaknesses? And are parts easy to find?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 PM

Default RE: HB D8T Engine Recommendations?

well now a days, you dont really even need a .28, a good .21 will do the job. My .21 choice to look at is the reedy 121 vr, insane engine
Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 PM

Werk B5, $200.00 and this engine is killer. Or the GO tech GX-5R, insane

But if you're like me and you want the power of a .28, the Jammin JPX 28 or the new Picco 28 JLR should be a great choice.

The Novarossi plus 28-7 is killer too, and not too much money
Old 12-02-2009, 02:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dream engine - OS 25 - coming out in the spring...
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM

Trinity Ex-Tech 24.5 full mod and pre-run, lot of good comments
Old 12-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bang for the buck the new OFNA JLR .21 looks to be a real killer.......It is the same engine more or less as the new RB Killer 9... For the price they are charging this is a very stout engine ...The Killer9 has been getting fantastic reviews so far.....

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=21551
Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Hey Supertib, do you think that this Ofna JL21 will be as good as the Jammin JPX21?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 PM

ORIGINAL: dakamat

Hey Supertib, do you think that this Ofna JL21 will be as good as the Jammin JPX21?

Too early to say one way or the other......Reports so far are extremely good for the K9, no mentioned tuning or running issues, at 3 gallons the engines still have pinch, guys are comparing to the performance to the C6...its fast, its good on fuel and so far is showing great wear characteristics..... Definitely a promising engine IMO, especially when you consider its price point.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_bcsfXtLxE
Old 12-03-2009, 06:57 AM

But, is this Ofna JL21 will be exactly the same as the RB K9??? Quality of material, bearing, carburator, etc............
For a $50.00 of price gap between the RB and the Ofna, i'am sure something's different
Old 12-03-2009, 09:18 AM

But, is this Ofna JL21 will be exactly the same as the RB K9??? Quality of material, bearing, carburator, etc............
For a $50.00 of price gap between the RB and the Ofna, i'am sure something's different
no ! they are the same engine !
Old 12-03-2009, 01:19 PM

You have alot of good engine recommendations here.. I will add you might consider the NovaRossi N21BF. $150 from a main, and gets rave reviews everywhere. The Werks B5 would also be a good choice, from the reveiws..

I was set on getting the Trinty ExTech II .24, but have decided to pick up two N21BF engines instead.. They are said to be excellent engines on medium to small tracks.. Big open desgins need more top end then these 3port engines can deliver.. That's where the Werks B5 would be a better choice, or a NovaRossi plus+4.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: (MRC) Scotty!

You have alot of good engine recommendations here.. I will add you might consider the NovaRossi N21BF. $150 from a main, and gets rave reviews everywhere. The Werks B5 would also be a good choice, from the reveiws..

I was set on getting the Trinty ExTech II .24, but have decided to pick up two N21BF engines instead.. They are said to be excellent engines on medium to small tracks.. Big open desgins need more top end then these 3port engines can deliver.. That's where the Werks B5 would be a better choice, or a NovaRossi plus+4.

N21's are very very weak engines..... IMHO they have nowhere near enough power for a Truggy..... In a Buggy they can get by ( barely) but in a Truggy they have nothing.......On the dyno they make about as much power as a Traxxas 3.3.......... I know some guys recomend them, but i can't understand why as they are amazingly gutless..
Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM

Supertib's right, a friend of me have the 21BF in a Losi eight-T 2.0 last summer, and forget it, this engine can't push a truggy with ease.

I will probably give a try to this Ofna 21JL for my mugen MBX6 buggy, and put my GO in the truggy. Or, probably buy another GO 21, but i don't know which one (GO or Ofna) will be better

But the price of this Ofna is very good.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM

Supertib's right, a friend of me have the 21BF in a Losi eight-T 2.0 last summer, and forget it, this engine can't push a truggy with ease.

I will probably give a try to this Ofna 21JL for my mugen MBX6 buggy, and put my GO in the truggy. Or, probably buy another GO 21, but i don't know which one (GO or Ofna) will be better

But the price of this Ofna is very good.

RB is a European company...so even tho the K9 is made in Taiwan its still imported from Europe, which makes the cost higher...OFNA directly imports the JLR from Taiwan, plus OFNA moves a huge volume of Force engines, so they likely get a very good price on it........The JLR has a billet piston, the Go has a cast piston..I personally prefer a billet piston, i feel they last longer and wear in better...... I am ordering in a few of the JLR's and will give them a test n tune and see what they can do......
Old 12-03-2009, 06:18 PM

I had a N21BF in my buggy. Don't get me wrong, This engine is super reliable but lacks power great time.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:52 PM

Most RB's are made by novarossi, and there onroad engines are made by sirio.........the ofna engines are made by picco