Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
 STOUT .21 for my new Truggy? >

STOUT .21 for my new Truggy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

STOUT .21 for my new Truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOUT .21 for my new Truggy?

Hey all, looking for a few opinions on .21 engines for my BCE Matrix Arena... Its not the lightest (nor) the heaviest truggy around. I just had a con-rod snap in my V-Spec after 2 gallons so I dont think I am going to be getting another one of those but I am looking for something at least as powerful. Of course these are opinions but I am wondering what would kick some ass and be fairly reliable.
Thinking about:
Reedy .21
Novarossi 21-4? 21-5?
Jpx .21

Any thoughts or opinions or leads?
Thanks!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Default RE: STOUT .21 for my new Truggy?

The next engine i'll buy for my X2 crt will be the Jammin JPX 21, with a race mod on it.
I've seen one run and this best is simply killer for the price, and very durable.

But like with any engine, the con rod must be change at the 2 gallon mark to be on the safe side.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:35 PM
K_B

If you preheat the engine properly during break-in, I think you can avoid having to change out the conrod; that's what puts the most stress on it. I've got two RB engines sitting here with probably 8 gallons on each and they run like a champ. I've got an OS with probably just as much time on it, and it runs great. And I wring that one out doing backflips on a very regular basis which is definitely not easy on a conrod.

As far as engine choice goes, I'd say any of those would be a good choice. Pick whichever fits your budget.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 PM

dont forget about the GO tech 5 and 7 port!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:24 AM

heavy truggy like a CEN........JPX.21 ALL the way.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Since you said STOUT i say jpx .21. It's a stump puller. With low traction i really have to be careful on the trigger. This saturday traction was premo & my x2 crt was pulling the front wheels coming out of turns. I actually hit a jump i couldn't see the face very well & the truck flipped over forward i thought what the heck ? My pit man told me the front tires were off the ground going up the face so the front shocks never loaded up. Haven't used any of the other engines so can't comment on them.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:58 PM

This last weekend I was running in a field of truggys that were using GRP, ExTech, O.S. and etc. engines. Can't give exact models, but my JPX.21 torched them all. The straight aways weren't super long, but the difference was very noticable. Actually, the power caused some problems because of my lack of smoothness/throttle control caused a lot of wheelspin. Can we spell roostertails? But it was fun. I have a MG66 waiting for breakin, but more power I don't need, so breakin is on hold.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:15 PM

Oh yeah forgot to mention i preheated the engine before every startup untill the metal pinch lossened which took almost 2 gallons. I just started my fourth gallon . I have inspected the rod & it looks good. I will be replacing the bearings as the front one started leaking this weekend, but other than that it's all good. Oh & my son forgot to ziptie the airfilter on twice & i ran the engine with no filter for a couple laps both times. After i jumped his case & calmed down i took the engine apart , cleaned it w/ fuel & it's still running. Can't believe we dodged that bullet twice, but i bet my son won't leave a filter loose anymore LOL.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

This last weekend I was running in a field of truggys that were using GRP, ExTech, O.S. and etc. engines. Can't give exact models, but my JPX.21 torched them all. The straight aways weren't super long, but the difference was very noticable. Actually, the power caused some problems because of my lack of smoothness/throttle control caused a lot of wheelspin. Can we spell roostertails? But it was fun. I have a MG66 waiting for breakin, but more power I don't need, so breakin is on hold.

I honestly doupt the MG66 will have the power of the JPX...... IMO the JPX is the nastiest of the .21's.....The MG66 will be smoother and more linear tho....
Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 PM

HI All I'm in the market for a new 21 also ,so i've been doing a lot of reserch,but i don't know what a MG66 is ? Can someone please fill me in?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: burnfuel

HI All I'm in the market for a new 21 also ,so i've been doing a lot of reserch,but i don't know what a MG66 is ? Can someone please fill me in?

A MG66 is a factory modified Go GX5 port... it is a signature engine for Massive Mods out of Australia bult by Go engines..... Modification wise it is a Go GX 5 port with increased exhaust timing., it has a smoother powerband and better top end as opposed to a regualr GX 5 port......The engine is getting great reviews and has a very strong fan following..... They cost about $330.00 USD....

What kind of vehicle are you looking to get an engine for, as well what is your budget ?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 PM

I'm looking at a $200.00 budget. I like what i'm seeing with the werks b5 and the O Donnell ss21,also ofna 21 JL looks good, I prefer a 21 over the 28's in my mugen mbx6t for various reasons.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In that price range, for all out power I would get the Jammin JPX 21. Costs a bit more than 200 at amain, but with a discount code you can get down to close to $200.

Race 21's are just expensive..

If you have a heavy truggy and want something with big power, and aren't racing at a super high competitive level where squeezing out longer run times is critical, a 28 might be worth considering.... LRP Spec 3 or Losi 454 truggy would be my choice... Cheap, user-friendly, etc.. You can get a Losi 454 on ebay for less than 150 bucks.. Throw a stock RTR Losi pipe on there and you're all set..
Old 12-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Here is my jammin x2 crt with a stock jammin Jpx .21 with awesome traction.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66135.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1330017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38040.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1330018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82468.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.5 KB