Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Losi Ten-T Break-in and the First Run!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Losi Ten-T Break-in and the First Run!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:00 AM
etopsflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Ten-T Break-in and the First Run!

Guys

Rainy day and had some time to remove the Losi 3.4cc engine and do the mandatory flush and inspection.

Removal of the engine was simple enough, 4 wires for R.O.S.S., temp sensor thermocouple wire, 4 engine mount bolts, throttle linkage and fuel supply tube - pretty standard.

Incidentally, broke a stock allen key when trying to remove the engine mount bolts. It snapped, a tad brittle. Screws securely threadlocked but managed to get them out with alternate allen key.

Stripped down the engine and found the pinch is very good. Flushed the inside with isopropyl alcohol and everything looks ok. A small scratch on the piston side but it's superficial. Everything oiled back up and reassembled. Heated engine with hair dryer, and the pinch is excellent.

Putting the engine back in, is a bit of a task. The stinger spring hooks onto a plate which butts up against the pipe flange to hold it in position. Due to the R.O.S.S. in close proximity, you need to thread spring bewteen the starter gearbox and engine before placing the engine on the chassis. The plate is orientated in a certian postion because one of it's side has a flat edge. It's takes a while to position and hook both sides of the stinger spring.

Apart from that it was pretty painless. Yes, the components are packed very close together and some have said that the R.O.S.S. would suit a 1/8 scale chassis better, I tend to agree. My hands aren't big and I found it quite taxiing to get it back together again.

What I dun like about the Ten-T. Battery box is way too small and the stock LiPo just fits in and you need to wrap the wires in such a way the lid closes without hinderance. The LiPo comes with a Losi connector and a balance connector that does not fit either of my balance chargers. The stock charger does the job quite quick but I'd prefer to charge from my chargers to negate plugging and pulling more plugs.

Not so sure about the wheel hub caps that you need to take the 3 minature screws out before removal. Looks good but practically-wise, no.

I'll run her next week when I have more time and see how she goes.

Cheers

Etops
Old 04-15-2010, 07:14 AM
gtr

Default RE: Losi Ten-T Break-in and the First Run!

To moderator,

pls delete it.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 PM
etopsflight

guys

okay the motor is back in the chassis and ready to run. some points i found out when pre-running this baby.

the failsafe for the throttle was set at slightly open! spent about 20 mins fixing this and the wiring is tight and finicky but manageable.

the cable extending from the R.O.S.S. black box is too long and so is the power cable of the battery. if both were shorter, it would make like a bit easier. not sure about the dedicated Losi (blue) connector for the moment, i'll give it some time.

normally like to stick a fuel filter on the supply line but again space is a tad tight. there is a sintered filter in the tank so i guess it will have to do while i try and source a long and small bore filter to fit snugly between tank and stinger.

despite the manual saying the engine is already broken in and just to go easy on the first tank, will heat cycle as per normal.

that's about all for now. will report more after today's first running of the ten-t

cheers

etops
Old 04-21-2010, 02:30 AM
etopsflight

guys

have heat cycled my Ten-T and found it pretty impressive.

the tank initially was hard to prime becoz of the sintered filter installed within the tank. i tried both blowing on the pressure line and also plugging stinger and turning the motor over. both techniques failed. i resorted to plugging in a large plastic syringe on the pressure line and priming it that way. i had to press pretty hard on the syringe plunger! before i saw fuel go down the line, the cap of the tank blew open like a relief valve. i was pretty amazed at this fact. it seemed to break the seal of the filter. after that, priming was easy.

the RO.S.S. rips her up like a dream. she fired up first time and died after a few metres. the stock needle settings are pretty rich so leaned her out a tad and started her up. idle was steady and she ran ok. had some problems with my spektrum radio, the foam of the steering wheel tuches the body of the radio and sometimes the sterring does not return to neutral when you release it. had a look under the wheel and compared to my other DX3S but nothing is broken or missing. either i will need to shim the wheel up or take some fine sandpaper and rub down the foam.

the stock servos seem a bit weak and i noticed the carb is a bit sloppy/sticky at the idle setting. i'll give the servos a bit of time and see if i need to replace them with better/ units later.

The LSN and LSN access is pretty tight and you need the correctly sized screwdriver, (length and slot size) to tune the needles. The components are packed in there tight so it's a problem but not too bad.

Steering is pretty responsive and she turns on a dime. Haven't really noticed the engine coming to life but the pinch was very tight that even during the heat cycle, it was very hard to turn the piston to BDC. Temps while driving were quite low and had to lean the HSN considerably before the temps came up to normal operating temps. I am running 25% Tornado.

Battery is charging now so I will put a few tanks thru her before it gets dark in about 3 hours time.

Let you know know more after the continued runs.

Cheers

Etops
Old 04-21-2010, 05:04 AM
etopsflight

guys

okay, just back and the extended run was curtailed by a heavy shower, called it a day.

took her over to the usual bashing place, where it's much bigger. manage to gradually build up to full throttle. she drives very well, takes corners easily and donuts on command. didn't tune for absolute performance but she still got up to blistering speeds.

telemetry was out of range at approx 20 metres, dun know if it's atmospheric conditions but will need to check up on that. a couple of glitches when the car seemed to be out of control, thankfully was quite doclie at those particular times so no harm done. need to keep an eye out on that and rectify any lurking problems.

R.O.S.S. is a definitely good and had to remind myself I did not have to retreive the car if it cut-out. temps are a tad low, temp gun shows higher. could it be that the stock temp sensor is 3 fins up?

was getting run times of up to 8-9 minutes but the tank is too small. also the slope part above the walls of the tanks is too shallow and kept on overfilling the tank to spillage. perhaps need to revert back to my small bore fuel bottle for better refueling control!

overall, quite happy with this purchase and seems a great package for me the basher.

cheers

etops
Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 AM
etopsflight

guys

okay, just back and the extended run was curtailed by a heavy shower, called it a day.

took her over to the usual bashing place, where it's much bigger. manage to gradually build up to full throttle. she drives very well, takes corners easily and donuts on command. didn't tune for absolute performance but she still got up to blistering speeds.

telemetry was out of range at approx 20 metres, dun know if it's atmospheric conditions but will need to check up on that. a couple of glitches when the car seemed to be out of control, thankfully was quite doclie at those particular times so no harm done. need to keep an eye out on that and rectify any lurking problems.

R.O.S.S. is a definitely good and had to remind myself I did not have to retreive the car if it cut-out. temps are a tad low, temp gun shows higher. could it be that the stock temp sensor is 3 fins up?

was getting run times of up to 8-9 minutes but the tank is too small. also the slope part above the walls of the tanks is too shallow and kept on overfilling the tank to spillage. perhaps need to revert back to my small bore fuel bottle for better refueling control!

overall, quite happy with this purchase and seems a great package for me the basher.

cheers

etops