Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Starter box with a lot of power

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Starter box with a lot of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter box with a lot of power

Hey guy Im in need of a new starter box because I got a new motor and my old ofna starter box is just not cutting it. Its an older one with one big motor and a 12v battery I think its just a universle starter box. Its such a pain to start my GRP .28 and i need something that will turn it over no problem. whats the box thats got a lot of go? thanks guys for all your help.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:03 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Starter box with a lot of power

New engines are usually quite a bit tighter and therefore it is more difficult to get them to turn over. Did you loosen the glow plug first then try to start it? You may also want to heat up the head of the engine before starting it as well. This will help to get the engine a little bit more loose and it will turn over easier. It will also be easier on the conrod.
What are you using for a battery in you starter box?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 AM
jmaxey51

i would get the Ofna blue truggy box, if it wont start it nothing will. almost everyone has this starter box at the races around my area.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Starter-Box
Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
[email protected]

Yea Ive done all that and Im getting it broke in. The Box Ive got is the crome top ofna box. IIts got a 12 volt battery in it.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

i would get the Ofna blue truggy box, if it wont start it nothing will. almost everyone has this starter box at the races around my area.

what battery would I need too get? or would a 12 volt battery work good? Ive heard that the "blue ofna box" is the way to go but ive seen alot of blue ofna boxes.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
mrsheldon

I use a 12volt gs battery.The portalac px12072 for my bump box(ofna 10245) and it works great It last all day, starts all my rides and even some of my friends rides also.To charge it I use a battery tender once in while,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52265.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1427028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75237.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1427029  
Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

what battery would I need too get? or would a 12 volt battery work good? Ive heard that the "blue ofna box" is the way to go but ive seen alot of blue ofna boxes.

i use the 12v gel cell in mine, it lasts forever, i charge it once a month maybe and i race every week. but also have another one that i use 2 stick packs in and its lighter but doesnt last as long on a charge. and i also have the ofna chrome top, it works fine also, it doesnt spin as fast but it will slowly turn it over. i use the chrome top if i need an extra starter box or someone need to borrow it.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 PM
nitrofishing

I also have the 12v motor in one of my boxes, while using the 12v battery it would not put out enough power so after struggling for a while i bought a 14.8v lipo 3200mah and it changed my world of starting my truggy. It gave it so much more power and i wil never try a 12v battery again. So try the 14.8v lipo check out hobbypartz.com and you will not regret it!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:03 PM
madbrad70

I was about ready to get a new starter box becuase it was having a hard time starting my cars but instead i put a lipo in it and its like a whole new box. I would put a lipo in it before buying another box. Once that lipo in there you wont be having problems even with new motors.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the battery from my 14.4 Bosch cordless drill. I have never had any problems! it charges in less than an hour and I have an extra one too. I have also use the battery in my "real" car. and if I need more power I can just startit and I have over 14V! this would work to get you thru breakin but it isn't ideal for track situations.