Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hanger nine P-51 Eng ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hanger nine P-51 Eng ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:56 AM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger nine P-51 Eng ?

I have a Hanger nine P-51 and I 'am thinking of using a Super tigre 3250 that I have had laying around for a few years. I tried running it and it is turning a 19/8 xoar around 6500 . I can lean it out to around 7100 but she starts to run hot and the rpm will drop off. I 'am usung tigre fuel and I 'am thinking I should be able to get more out of it. Anyone using different props on these Engines with better results? I 'am not a big Super Tigre fan but I do have a couple of their 4500's and they run great. Any info would be appreciated.

thanks bob
Old 09-18-2010, 08:32 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hanger nine P-51 Eng ?

What muffler are you using? If its an after market like Jtec make sure you are getting good pressure to the fuel tank so as to push good fuel flow to the carb. If all is good here maybe go down 1 in diameter. How much fuel has gone through this engine ? If less that a gallon wait until a gallon is through then try again. But key is making sure you have good fuel flow to the carb. This is a very thirsty engine.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Hey 91 zulu thanks for the reply. I 'am usung a brison muffler and the engine maybe has a gallon thru it. I could go to a 18/10 prop and see if that makes a difference and also go to larger fuel line. My 4500's all have larger lines and they swing master airscrew 20/10 props around 7400-7500 rpm. They run very good and have a great idle. I wild like to get the 3250 to run as reliable as the 4500's.

thank you bob
Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 AM
91zulu

Yes try the large fuel line and the smaller prop. Do a test to check the fuel flow to the carb after. Start the engine up go to full throttle and open the high end needle and see if you can get the engine to 4 cycle. If it does the fuel flow is good, if not you have to create more back pressure in the muffler. By either squeezing off the exhaust stacks which can be done by squeezing off the pipes a bit or putting rubber tubing over them and squeezing off the rubber tubes with plastic tie wraps. Or inserting metal tubing into the stacks making sure one goes in about half way into the chamber and the other about 1/4 way. Secure them in place with screws so they don`t back out. And one more thing, no more than 5% fuel makes tuning the needles easier and less over heating issues. Check that glo plug too. If its black change it.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:03 AM
91zulu

Yes try the large fuel line and the smaller prop. Do a test to check the fuel flow to the carb after. Start the engine up go to full throttle and open the high end needle and see if you can get the engine to 4 cycle. If it does the fuel flow is good, if not you have to create more back pressure in the muffler. By either squeezing off the exhaust stacks which can be done by squeezing off the pipes a bit or putting rubber tubing over them and squeezing off the rubber tubes with plastic tie wraps. Or inserting metal tubing into the stacks making sure one goes in about half way into the chamber and the other about 1/4 way. Secure them in place with screws so they don`t back out. And one more thing, no more than 5% fuel makes tuning the needles easier and less over heating issues. Check that glo plug too. If its black change it.