Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Fliteglass P-51 Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Fliteglass P-51 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:06 AM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fliteglass P-51 Mustang

Anyone know what ever happened to the old Fliteglass .60 size P-51 Mustang kit that was made back in the 60's and 70's? I think it eventually became a "D&B" or "Dively" kit. Is anyone still producing it or know what happened to the tooling? Thanks.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:13 AM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Default Flightglass

Not sure about history: how it was phased out or sold to D&B.

I bought mine senior year H.S. 1980. Since Ralph White had won the NATS with it, it was the best in its day. Still is.. exact scale outline.

I still have kit in the garage. Started flaps and new firewall for OS 60 long stroke summer 1980 but then college started.
Still waiting to be finished. about 9 on my revised building list.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Old Shep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Fliteglas kit was a good one for flying, not AT ALL scale in outline, especially the horizontal stab. Mine is hanging up at the CAF High Sky Wing hangar in Midland. Too bad the kit isn't available anymore.
Old Shep
Old 08-02-2003, 11:11 AM
FireBee

Default Scale outline

Not sure if we are talking about the same kit as this one was scale. Ralph had like a 98 static at the NATS so that why I bought it. Especially the correct nose profile.
Believe he worked with drawings from John Eaton's P-51 outline.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:48 PM
gluefinger
My Feedback: (5)

Default Fliteglass P-51

When Ralph first brought out the kit he came to the "Mint Julep Meet" in Kentucky with it and flew it in scale, looked gooood. Then he turned around andflew it in Pattern!!! Great flying plane. There is or was one (kit) for sale in warbirds column. Doug Early (originator of the "MINT JULEP MEET")
Old 08-02-2003, 08:07 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Flightglass P-51

I still have some of the Old RC Scale magazines with the P-51 ads in it. I think that if a WWII Fighter can successfully compete in pattern then its not a very scale plane. Getting 98 in Static way back then was a great score... for way back then. However it would, most likely, get a much lower score by todays standards. Just my thoughts. BobH.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:21 AM
RCDENT

The original Flitelglass kit was derived from a design published by Frank Baker in R.C.M. in 1967. It was the first close to scale design published to my knowledge for RC. Flitelglass at that time was owned by a guy named Rex Taylor. Can't remember exactly when Ralph White acquired it, and don't know if he modified the design further or not. It definitely had a reputation as a great flyer. The airfoil was a semi-symetrical, but not a P-51 laminar foil. It was one of the first Mustangs to use a 4+ in. spinner for correct nose contour. Even today, .60 size Mustangs such as the H9 kit use a 3.5 in spinner which is actually too small. Would love to find one now. I have the Baker plans, so I might just scratch build one. It's easy enough to get canopies, spinners, and retracts nowdays.
The following users liked this post:
PREDHEAD (05-24-2021)
Old 08-03-2003, 02:26 AM
Old Shep

Having been in the hobby for 40+ years, I've seen my share of Mustang models and I bought the Fliteglas kit because it was the most "scale" one out there at the time, but, as has been pointed out, times and judging standards have changed markedly. I just looked at the model today, and besides the too big by 30% stab, the chord of the wing is all wrong, the gear don't retract in a scale manner (because the retract units are mounted too far from the leading edge of the wing), and the airfoil is definitely not correct. Other than that....

The model did fly extremely well, however. I saw Ted White (no relation to Ralph) fly one in the early 70's and it was quite impressive, which is why I bought the kit, etc.

Good to remember those days.
Old Shep
Old 08-03-2003, 11:13 AM
RCDENT

I lived in Dallas during the early 1980's and Ted White was always impressive! Any idea where he is now? Thanks for all the info.

Dewey Newbold
San Antonio, TX
Old 08-03-2003, 04:44 PM
FireBee

Default Mustang ??

Totally agree times and judging have changed. I'll have to check the stab. I know the gear was a little far back and no one makes a true laminar flow wing.

--- So should I sell my kit and buy a more scale mustang or hang on to it and build it next winter?

I started to make flaps but thats it. I don't plan to enter contest just Warird Rally's locally. I was thinking military paint scheme "American Beauty" ot "Tempest Fugit" (time flies) in the red striped rudders/stabs.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Old Shep

The model flew well enough that I would build another...It would land a bit easier if it were fitted with flaps, so Mike I would go ahead with that modification.

Dewey, I think I knew of you thru your sister perhaps? I went to SMU in the late 60's...your last name sounds familiar. I haven't seen Ted in about 10 years, although I understand he is still in the Metroplex area. His son Tony flies just like Ted did way back when...He was the best I ever saw for displaying warbirds.
Old Shep
Old 08-04-2003, 02:04 AM
RCDENT

If you read Frank Baker's original article, the plane was designed as a scale-like PATTERN aircraft (remember the patterns were a lot different back then too). Baker discusses the deviations from scale including increased wing and stab area. Also remember that Baker did not have anywhere near the power to work with that we enjoy today. (Probably about the equivalent of a modern .35) I would think it's a great choice for a sport flying scale P-51 and would love to find one of the kits. Probably not the best choice for scale or "Top Gun" competition, or to lavish with detail.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Default RE: Fliteglass P-51 Mustang

ORIGINAL: RCDENT

The original Flitelglass kit was derived from a design published by Frank Baker in R.C.M. in 1967. It was the first close to scale design published to my knowledge for RC. Flitelglass at that time was owned by a guy named Rex Taylor. Can't remember exactly when Ralph White acquired it, and don't know if he modified the design further or not. It definitely had a reputation as a great flyer. The airfoil was a semi-symetrical, but not a P-51 laminar foil. It was one of the first Mustangs to use a 4+ in. spinner for correct nose contour. Even today, .60 size Mustangs such as the H9 kit use a 3.5 in spinner which is actually too small. Would love to find one now. I have the Baker plans, so I might just scratch build one. It's easy enough to get canopies, spinners, and retracts nowdays.
Hello- Recently acquired a partial built FliteGlass P-51 but the wing is pretty rough- delaminating sheeting among other issues. Searched for an aftermarket foam wing but no luck specific to the Fliteglass kit. Then saw this post! Does anyone now if the built up balsa wing from Frank Baker's '67 design is a direct fit to the Fliteglass P-51? Thanks, Jeff
Old 09-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Mustang ??

ORIGINAL: FireBee
...no one makes a true laminar flow wing.
Brian Taylor, Dave Platt, Jim Meister, and several others have incorporated the laminar flow airfoil in their Mustang plans/kits.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jeff Worsham

Hello- Recently acquired a partial built FliteGlass P-51 but the wing is pretty rough- delaminating sheeting among other issues. Searched for an aftermarket foam wing but no luck specific to the Fliteglass kit. Then saw this post! Does anyone now if the built up balsa wing from Frank Baker's '67 design is a direct fit to the Fliteglass P-51? Thanks, Jeff
The FliteGlas P-51 is a direct copy of the Frank Baker plans which are available from RCM Plans. When the airplane was published in 1976, the biggest engine available was a .60, thus the increased wing and stab areas. Now, power is not a problem as we now have four stroke, larger two stroke and electric power available.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

ORIGINAL: Michaelj2k

ORIGINAL: Jeff Worsham

The FliteGlas P-51 is a direct copy of the Frank Baker plans which are available from RCM Plans. When the airplane was published in 1976, the biggest engine available was a .60, thus the increased wing and stab areas. Now, power is not a problem as we now have four stroke, larger two stroke and electric power available.
Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was hoping for as I'd love to build this thing and fly it. Deviation from scale isn't a concern for me as flyability is more important for my sport scale interests. I'll get the plans and anticipate a reletively easy build considering the fiberglass fuse. Best Regards, Jeff
Old 01-23-2009, 09:55 AM
jjscott

There is a Fliteglass P-51 listed for sale now on RCU. It's a terrific airplane with lots of history. Someone needs to buy it.

Jim
Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
1bruno

I have this model I bought at a garage sale for $75.00. does anyone know where the CG needs to be on this model? I think its 3 3/4 inch from LE which puts it just behind the wheel wells. I guess I will have to buy the Frank Baker plans.....
Old 05-23-2011, 01:12 PM
jjscott

I have an unbuilt kit at my cottage. I'll be there tomorrow night & can get the c.g. plus anything else you might need from the plans. Ralph White also posts on RCU; he can tell you where the c.g. really should be.

Jim
Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 PM
1bruno

Jim Thanks, any help you can give me is really appreciated. Here is a pic of mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96013.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1613766  
Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 PM
jjscott

Glen:

The c.g. is 5 1/8" behind the rear face of the fuse bulkhead at the front of the wing. From the prop driver (rear face of spinner backplate) it is 14 9/16".

Control throws:
ailerons 5/16 up, 1/4 down
elev 1/2 up, 1/2 down
rudder 1" l&r
flaps 3" down maximum (50 degrees)

Design weight 8-9 1/2 pounds

Don't try to stretch the glide - use addl engine power
First few flights no flaps either t/o or landing

Plane looks good; you got a real bargain.

Jim
Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jim, I finally got the plans out to check for Glenn. 5 1/8" from the rear face of the fuselage bulkhead. It is much better to have the P-51 a little nose heavy rather than tail heavy. Nose heavy means hot landings but tail heavy means snap rolls and crashes. And you are also right to never stretch the glide with the P-51D. It will snap quickly with no time to recover. Flaps are just for looks, the plane takes off and lands very well without flaps.
Ralph White

Glenn, I sent you a PM (says the same things as above).
Ralph White
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
1bruno

Jim and Ralph, thanks so much, the plane flies great. I had to get used to the take offs as I have only flow 1/3, 1/4 scale WWI birds. But once got use to it, she flies great! Mine weighs in at 10.5 pounds with 9 cells and I have a monster 110 electric motor in her with a castle creations HV 85 speed control. I have flown her with a 17 x10 prop and an 18 x8 prop both pull her around the skies very nicely!
Glen B.
The following users liked this post:
Newportmap (08-07-2020)
Old 05-16-2021, 11:40 AM
jbeech

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

10 years since the last response to this thread, let's revive it. Today, poking around my stash of kits pondering what to build next, I came across my FliteGlas Mustang. Out of curiosity I fired up Google and came across this thread, and off we went down memory lane! Especially nice to have seen Ralph White responding. So where are we? Am I alone with one of these still to be built?
--
John
www.promodeler.com

Old 05-19-2021, 01:09 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is hanging up in my basement, still yet to fly. Too many honey do's and too many projects. I have been thinking of an electric conversion though. What are your thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.