Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Meister Giant P-47 Finishing Off & Paint..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Meister Giant P-47 Finishing Off & Paint..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:05 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Meister Giant P-47 Finishing Off & Paint..

ORIGINAL: fallingleaf

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: fallingleaf

How do you get those panel lines to be so '3d' and sometimes as if they are under the paint? Is it as simple as pre-drawing in black and then painting over? I'd love to do one of these in chrome if I get the chance.....
Not chrome. It is aluminum foil (Flight Metal and Aerofoil), and the panel lines are real. Panels were drawn on the glassed airframe, then each panel was cut to those lines and applied individually.
I see, so the overlapping pieces of foil in essence are what create the lines? What about your rivet detailing then? Is that embossed with some tool or are they drawn on? I wonder how you would achieve that effect with paint!
Embossing this foil is very easy. Yes, the rivets and many of the other surface details like hatches are embossed. I made some tools for the rivets, and used a #7 mechanical pencil and several templates for hatches and things.

In paint, you can make a similar tool to fit in the end of a solder gun, and use heat to "burn" the rivet detail in.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder
My Feedback: (104)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Meister Giant P-47 Finishing Off & Paint..

I have the cockpit almost done, need to do the instrument panel yet, I used some goop and two screws on each peice of weight for balance in the cowl. The P-47 comes out at 42 pounds plus 4.5 pounds on the lead for a total 47.5 which is not bad for this particular plane.