Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Glassing A Warbird With Resin Never Again Maybe

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Glassing A Warbird With Resin Never Again Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:08 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glassing A Warbird With Resin Never Again Maybe

[/quote]

I take it from the no reponse to has anyone had this stuff on a plane and in use for a while.....Im the test fool....i mean case?
[/quote]

What about contacting 'WOW Planes' and some of their customers that have used 'LS'?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:12 AM
tfarmer96

WOW has used it on the foam airplanes for sure. I was wondering if anyone here on RCU had used it. Its going to be ok im sure, if nothing more then as good as monokote. Im going to get back on the fuse friday night and get my razor back put on it and get it ready for pannel lines.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 AM
tunakuts3d

When I first spoke to David at Indus. Polymers he said the expected shelf life of unmixed (activated) SS was 6 months or longer.He also mentioned that using a canned air like that used to blow off computers and such, and giving a short blast as the lid is put back on would help prolong the shelf life, by displacing the air in the can with a dryer less humid air mixture.There is a product called Bloxygen which I think is an inert gas (argon) that is used to keep paint and varnish etc. finishes from skining over in the resealed container, that might be worth trying. Another option might be to drop glass marbles into the can to bring the level of the liquid up so less air(humidity) is trapped in the can.
paul
Old 12-02-2010, 07:25 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: tunakuts3d
the expected shelf life of unmixed (activated) SS was 6 months or longer.
Do you mean 'UN' or 'NON' Activated? I get the point though, Unmixed, at least 6 Months once initially opened if properely sealed after use.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 AM
tunakuts3d

yeah, I guess I shoulda said Non or not activated, anyway you got the point
Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This has been a real interesting thread. Has anyone tried using a spray gun to put on the SS-1000? Or is using a roller enough?

Has anyone seen or tried this? Ontario Adhesive in Canada has a water based product call Eze Kote. Below is the link to the site and a little blurb about the product itself.It is listed under the cloth and resins category. Horizon Hobbies now carries this product as well. It is about the same price as LS.

http://www.ontarioadhesives.ca/index...iewCat&catId=8

Deluxe Materials is delighted to announce Eze Kote. Eze-Kote is a 1- part water based resin alternative to epoxy that cures (with light) to a tough resistant film. It brushes out easily onto balsa and light glass cloth, adding minimal weight & drying to a tough, ding resistant film. Eze-Kote thus makes covering a model with glass cloth
an easy task. Once dry it can be sanded back to a smooth finish.With one further coat your model can be ready for painting.Coverage: 1 500ml bottle covers 7-8 sq yds

having water clean up and little odour will make a valuable contribution to environmentally friendly modelling.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM
tunakuts3d

You'd best see the video and talk to industrial polymers about spraying, the name styro spray 1000 should be a clue. I beleive the use of a charcoal cannister type of respirator is advised.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first spoke to David at Indus. Polymers he said the expected shelf life of unmixed (activated) SS was 6 months or longer.He also mentioned that using a canned air like that used to blow off computers and such, and giving a short blast as the lid is put back on would help prolong the shelf life, by displacing the air in the can with a dryer less humid air mixture.There is a product called Bloxygen which I think is an inert gas (argon) that is used to keep paint and varnish etc. finishes from skining over in the resealed container, that might be worth trying. Another option might be to drop glass marbles into the can to bring the level of the liquid up so less air(humidity) is trapped in the can.
paul

There used to be plastic jars for photo chemicals (does anyone do their own photo processing anymore?) with accordian type folds that could be compressed as the material inside was used. Therefore, there would be little or no air in the bottle to contaminate the material. Maybe search the photo chemical suppliers sector?

A similar approach would be to put the material in a flexible wall bottle and squeeze the bottle until the air was expelled, then put the cap on.

The LS and SS are apparently polyurethane resin type material, like Gorilla glue, that is activated by moisture IAT the two part mix. That explains why even 91% isopropyl alcohol will set it off, cause the 9% non alcohol is water? Can you be sure denatured alcohol is water free, or does it have to be labeled as such?

Regarding toxicity, polyurethane paints such as Immeron use a cyanide based catalyst (isocyanate) that completely fries your internal organs (asked me how I know) when ingested. Does this material contain any isocyanates?

Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: thebluemax

Has anyone seen or tried this? Ontario Adhesive in Canada has a water based product call Eze Kote.
here's a vid for Eze Kote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQJ-m...eature=related

looks less messy than glassing with a similar result
Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 AM
tunakuts3d

page 1 of MSDS for stryo spray .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88664.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	1529356  
Old 12-02-2010, 01:07 PM
frankle951
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D][8D][8D] Looking good man, Im 49 years old and can remember the tis and drop, man was it a pain to work with and planes back in the mid 70 where small, but nice job, keep posting[8D][8D][8D]
Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 PM
tfarmer96

page 1 of MSDS for stryo spray .
Ya use it in a well ventalated area.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 AM
tfarmer96

sanded down the fuse put on the razor back shes ready for primer. Check out the sand paper. i hit it with 220 and this stuff just sands no gumming up the paper.

Name:	Ca83057.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1530120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15392.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1530121  
Old 12-04-2010, 09:47 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

I"m really liking the way your bird turned out. I'm about to be in posession of a Meister P-47. The wing has been built, but not finished/glassed. I was leaning heavily toward glassing the wing and surfaces with the Minwax products. A flying buddy of mine is in the process of glassing a wing with the Minwax. He sealed the wood with Sanding Sealer and layed the glass with Minwax water-based lacquer finish. The process seemed much more simple, and cleaner than glassing with epoxy resin. Now that I've seen your process, I'm considering strongly doing it your way. Also, the new product mentioned in post #231 seems to be basically the same thing as the Minwax. The only thing different was that the EZE Kote product was put on entirely, and not after sealing the wood with a sanding sealer.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 AM
tfarmer96

I have done the water based poly many time nothing wrong with that. This seems to be working out well
Old 12-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These parts have one coat of Polyester resin. Reduced and thinned with acetone. The idea is to have it soak in. There will be another thin second coat applied before glassing. That coat will get lightly sanded.

These parts were put together for the benifit of the photo, which I used in another Thread.

Name:	Ay75055.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1530210  
Old 12-06-2010, 06:25 AM
tfarmer96

ORIGINAL: yard-dart

I''m really liking the way your bird turned out. I'm about to be in posession of a Meister P-47. The wing has been built, but not finished/glassed. I was leaning heavily toward glassing the wing and surfaces with the Minwax products. A flying buddy of mine is in the process of glassing a wing with the Minwax. He sealed the wood with Sanding Sealer and layed the glass with Minwax water-based lacquer finish. The process seemed much more simple, and cleaner than glassing with epoxy resin. Now that I've seen your process, I'm considering strongly doing it your way. Also, the new product mentioned in post #231 seems to be basically the same thing as the Minwax. The only thing different was that the EZE Kote product was put on entirely, and not after sealing the wood with a sanding sealer.
I got the fuse primered yesterday. The result is well let’s say a bit disappointing for me. This stuff went on so thin that is showing every little imperfection and grain in the wood. This can be remedied with some body work and a bunch of sanding. I just wanted to let you guys know before you jumped in on blind faith.

This product has its place in this hobby it can be applied fast and easy, but for best results you should completely sand the balsa and fill ANY SMALL imperfection in the wood. My conclusion is I will be returning to the old proven method of glass cloth and water based poly.

I had to try it for myself to see. I was taught that if you take shortcuts you get cut short. Well that’s kind of what I think this is. Now on a foam model or using it as a non cut mix I’m sure it would be a different outcome. I’m not saying anything bad or negative about this stuff, but I don’t think it’s for me at the end of the day.
This 47 isn’t hosed by a long shot I’m just going to have to do some work to get it in shape for paint. Looks like a pay me now or pay me latter thing.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Buckmeister

Thanks, I was waiting for the "outcome" before trying it myself.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 AM
tfarmer96

ORIGINAL: Buckmeister

Thanks, I was waiting for the ''outcome'' before trying it myself.
Im not saying this was a mistake, but i just dont think it is for me and i dont want anyone jumping off the edge without the complete story if they are basing their actions on my information.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 AM
JPNYGAARD
My Feedback: (27)

WOULD THINNING TO A LESSER EXTENT.....SAY 40 - 40 - 20 MAKE A DIFFERENCE ??
Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Gutaaaooo

Yeah, I thought about this when you said it was "like water", it would not fill anything. When I do mine, I will used it untined.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 AM
tfarmer96

I’m sure it would. I’m moving forward i just wanted to give the report to make sure everyone had the end result in my application. Right Wrong or Indifferent.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:58 AM
john d in texas

I was also worried when you thinned it that much. I think when I get ready to use it on my TPGS P-51 I will go the Un-thinned route... John D...
Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: tfarmer96

ORIGINAL: yard-dart

... My conclusion is I will be returning to the old proven method of glass cloth and water based poly. ...

Since your original premise was not so much to add strength as to provide a smooth imperfection free surface on which to paint. Have you tried or considered WBP with polyester cloth (Koveral ordress lining material) instead of using glass cloth. I have with very good, for me, results. Good luck with your chosen appraoch. With your dedication to detail, I am sure it will give very good results.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 12-06-2010, 10:33 AM
box car

ORIGINAL: tfarmer96

I’m sure it would. I’m moving forward i just wanted to give the report to make sure everyone had the end result in my application. Right Wrong or Indifferent.
This is just part of the learning process. The prep work is 90% of the job, this is what makes great paint jobs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.