Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ziroli Stuka Cowl & G62 ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli Stuka Cowl & G62 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Roadkingofskies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli Stuka Cowl & G62 ?

Hello to all,

I have a question a few of you Stuka pilots should be able to answer. I'm building Ziroli's Stuka as my next project. The plans should be here any day and I have the short kit from Laserlizard. I have read posts stating the cowl must be cut for the carb using the G62. The ZDZ60 solves the problem with the rear carb, but my first choice is the Zenoah.

B&B Specialties sell a thin carb mount that will move it in 1/2". Is that enough, or does it need more? If so, how much more?

So far, the best solution I've heard is to get a velocity stack and paint it like the airplane. They said it looks like it belongs there.

Anyone been able to keep it all inside the cowl, or does the G62 make that impossible???

Thanks,
Jim
Old 08-02-2003, 05:01 AM
SNAKE STUKA

Default Carb on Stuka

Well Jim,this is how the carb with a G62 looks like.I would mount the stock carb with no modifications.Just a reminder,you will have to mount the carb and the throttle arm after you mount the cowl.It seems like a pain but truly is not that bad.I hope this helps. Snakeman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98399_27219.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	56131  
Old 08-02-2003, 07:13 AM
Roadkingofskies

Snakeman,

That doesn't look too bad. Connecting the linkage after the cowl is on does sound like a pain, but the proven quality of Zenoah is worth it. The G62 has been around a while and the prices of the accessories won't break the bank. I have looked at the Fuji 64, but the carb is side mounted and the spring starter is $80. Zenoah, $47. I'm not cheap or on a budget, but $80 for a spring starter?? I can live with the way Snake's looks. Nice paint too, Snakeman.

I have checked websites and see Dessert Aircraft has a 50cc 5HP, DA50 and the Czech ZDZ60. Both have rear carbs. Would that be enough power? The ZDZ should do it, but what about the DA50? I still favor the Zenoah, but I have read good things about DA. I am still in the planning and shopping stage, so I have the benefit of time to research this.

Thank you for the reply,
Jim
Old 08-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

Default Stuka with a G-62

I have used G-62's on all my Stuka's Since I am not in the scalemasters contests I don't mind the carb sticking out. It makes choking easy. It makes tuning easy, needlevalves are both out side the cowl. For the price you can,t beat a G-62. My latest has a CH jump Start and this has enabled me to remove the spring starter and bearing and also the cup mount thus removing weight. The Stuka balanced perfect with no additional weight with a 1800 mah battery behind the firewall. This would not be possible with a rear carb. But like all things in life everybody has an opinion. You pays your money and takes your chance. Good luck on the Stuka. Stuka John N
Old 08-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Roadkingofskies

John,

Thanks for your reply. There are so many out there that will give a good arguement for ZDZ, DA and Fuji. IMO, there probably is not another product made that equals Zenoah's proven quality and value. A Ford or a Chevy will get you there just as well as the high line luxury models. And it will do it for a long, long time. Still, there are those that will say it's not a Cadillac.

The more I study this issue, the better the carb looks sticking out of the cowl. It saves the need for a choke servo and should it overflow, it doesn't test the fuel proofing of the firewall and engine standoff. Looking at the G62 with accessories, it's right in the $500 range. I'm not finding anything stripped down at that price. It's not about money, it's what works for the money.

Thanks again,
Jim

John, where is St James city? We're moving your way to West Palm Beach next year.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:37 AM
brock

Bummer that the carb has to stick out of the cowl. I have grown use to seeing the exhaust coming out at the bottom of the cowl via what looks to be a Pitts style muffler. I will probably end up doing that as well. Has anyone ever constructed a scale working exhaust? Is there enough room between the cowl and the engine for such an exhaust setup?
Old 08-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

Default Stuka exhaust

I am using a previously mentiomed G-62 with a Slimline Pitts Style muffler. It fits completely inside the cowl with only 2 exhaust pipes out the bottom in front of the cowl block which are not readily visable John N
Old 08-05-2003, 04:06 PM
MEMPHISBELLE
My Feedback: (24)

Default STUKA

I have a g-62 in mine , I made a phonolic spacer 3/8 of an inch thick and mounted the card in the stock holes. I t make throttle linkage a little hard. the carb is now flush with the cowl. I also built a working scale exhaust on both sides. I used a winter snow scheme and the exhaust weathers the plane it self.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:21 AM
SNAKE STUKA

Default Cowl Underside

Here is a shot of the bottom of the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100374_27219.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	56132  
Old 10-17-2012, 06:45 AM
lcruz
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Cowl Underside

Guys, recently picked up a Ziroli stuka as well and have a g62 to put in it for power. My questions is how do I attach engine to the firewall.
There seems To be a lot of extra space. Do they sell a mount for this engine to space out correctly from firewall?
Thank you all for your help.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: lcruz

Guys, recently picked up a Ziroli stuka as well and have a g62 to put in it for power. My questions is how do I attach engine to the firewall.
There seems To be a lot of extra space. Do they sell a mount for this engine to space out correctly from firewall?
If you dont want the carb to stick out, then purchase a Tony Clark 90 degree carb adapter. It turns the carb facing back at the firewall.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Or get a hold of Phil with fighteraces.uk . I bought a 90 degree carb mount and it reduces the width of the engine a bunch. This helps with the linkage issue as well.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:28 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Ziroli Stuka Cowl & G62 ?

Check out "teamaeroscale" for a 90 degree manifold for the G-62. It should allow you to enclose the carb within the cowl.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: lcruz

If you dont want the carb to stick out, then purchase a Tony Clark 90 degree carb adapter. It turns the carb facing back at the firewall.
Has anyone actually installed one of the 90 degree bends on the Stuka? I'm looking at a Zenoah G62 for my model.

Would anyone have a picture of the install?