Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Begineer to RC Planes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Begineer to RC Planes

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:19 PM
gwalker8388

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Begineer to RC Planes

Hello I am new to the RC Planes and the RCUNIVERSE sight. I have purchased a Hanger 9 P-51 Mustang for begineers. Hopefully I made a good choose. I also purchased the Phoenix Simulator for it also. Is it hard to learn to fly the planes as it was with the heli???
Old 02-12-2011, 10:24 PM
trent smith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Begineer to RC Planes

Hi gwalker8388, welcome to the word of rc and rc warbirds. I would strongly recommend joining a club and use the Instructors provided to ensure you have a long involvement in this great hobby. I have seen a lot of people spend many dollars to then go to a park, crash and walk away disappointed. Good luck and still use the Sim but you cant beat proper training at a club level.Cheers Trent.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the beginners forum as well there's allot of info for the first timer,your going to need some help with the PTS it gets allot of decent reviews but is far from a basic trainer a instructor will make the learning curve a pleasant experience
Old 02-13-2011, 02:45 AM
Oberst
Banned

Welcome to our expensive addiction! I agree with Trent and BigTim. Join a Club, start small and start slow. No rush to Warbirds, you'll get the skills to build and fly one in time. It took me 6 years to be able to handle some warbirds. Partly do to my own confidence, and partly that- my Club Elders telling me they thought I could handle one.

I started with the earlier PTS Mustang, and I didn't use the trainer system. I had 4 years under my belt and still, it was a little hot for me to handle.

Pete

Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Welcome...Definitely seek out a club before you do anything...they will be more than happy to help u with your plane....
Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Andrew_S

Welcome...Definitely seek out a club before you do anything...they will be more than happy to help u with your plane....

What do heli''''''''s and ceiling fans have in common? When the blades stop turnin, You start sweatin ! ! !

LOL! I love it!

Pete
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

hahahahaaha
Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say from my experience that if you have learned to fly a heli (not just a simulator ),learning to fly a plane should be fairly easy for you . I do highly recommend using a club flight instructor or a budy who fly's planes to assist untill you solo. It's much better and cheaper to have the help than crashing on your own . Always make sure there is someone there to crash with you !!!!! It's less discouraging that way ......
Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 AM
prop wash

GW,all the above.Take a deep breath and get a nice trainer.Every time you fly that trainer you'll be closer to a war bird.After the trainer then go to a low wing trainer[tail dragger]and practice nothing but take-off's and landings just like you see full scale pilots do at your local airport.Even a war bird trainer will give you heart attacks. Lots of stick time,llloootttsss of stick time.Best of luck.
Tom
Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: prop wash

GW,all the above.Take a deep breath and get a nice trainer.Every time you fly that trainer you'll be closer to a war bird.After the trainer then go to a low wing trainer[tail dragger]and practice nothing but take-off's and landings just like you see full scale pilots do at your local airport.Even a war bird trainer will give you heart attacks. Lots of stick time,llloootttsss of stick time.Best of luck.
Tom

Lots of stick time. Soooo true. Tom said it best. Start with top wing trainer, then bottom wing trainer etc.

Pete
Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM
gwalker8388

Thanks to all and I will keep everyone updated on progress.