Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CLEAR COAT

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 PM
xescse
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLEAR COAT

I'm looking for any advice as to what "FLAT" clearcoat I should use on my warbird. It will be going over Warbird color paint which is a water base paint and it has too much shine for my liking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: CLEAR COAT

I use TOP-FLITE clear spray can over 3 of the last planes I painteded with the war-bird paint a got great results.

thanks bob
Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Klass Kote works great too.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

Have you used that stuff lately? The last few cans of it I've bought weren't very flat at all.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I used Topflite flat clear when I was flying glow engines. Just did not like how poorly the clear coat flows on the painted surface. I've heard of guys trying Minwax products but never used it myself.
For gasoline warbirds, I've used Krylon flat clear that flows much better on a painted surface. In fact, Krylon Fusion spray cans have nozzles that spray evenly and the paint flows really well on glassed or monokote surface, much better than Topflite paint. Walmart usually has wide selection of flat camo colors great for warbirds. You can probably guess why Walmart carries lots of camo colors...
Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you need the clear to fuel proof or just dull your finish? If its the first then use klass kote. If its the latter, try dulling it with some fine grit paper or sanding pad. Sand in one direction top to bottom vertically on the fuse and fin. Chordwise LE to TE on the wing.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 AM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

I have had good luck with the TOP-FLITE clear . You do not have to spray on heavy coats just mist the coats on and as far as flat it gives a flat sheen and it is fuel proof for both glow and gas. I do not try to spray it like color but use lightly and you get good results , also I have had it on a couple of planes for a few years and it does not seem to yellow. To each his own , but this is what I use.

thanks bob
Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

You may want to try Top Flite DULL COTE as opposed to just their clear. I believe it is a laquer so you may need to test compatability.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

I second KlassKote best stuff I have ever shot.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Where does one get Klass Kote? Also, what is Top Flite "Dull Coat?" If you mean the flat clear, I've been having terrible luck with that stuff lately. It's not flat at all....

I just bought some automotive urethane which is supposed to be dead flat. I'll be shooting it through a gun. Anyone ever have that stuff react badly to Krylon?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 PM
darren763
My Feedback: (117)

Here you go http://www.klasskote.com/ for an epoxy paint system.

Darren
Old 02-22-2011, 04:19 AM
AncientCityFlyer

Let me know how it turns out. I've got a camo paint scheme on my AC-47 and have had the same BAD luck with the LusterKote flat clear. not..more like satin or semi-gloss. It's the pit's.
I've got it covered with Testors Dull Coat flat clear. It's great but not fuel proof, and if you use windex/alcohol to wipe it down (to remove glo-fuel residue) it leaves white streaks. Can't win for loos'n. ACF
Old 02-23-2011, 04:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: smchale

Do you need the clear to fuel proof or just dull your finish? If its the first then use klass kote. If its the latter, try dulling it with some fine grit paper or sanding pad. Sand in one direction top to bottom vertically on the fuse and fin. Chordwise LE to TE on the wing.

Sean has the right idea. Clearcoats are not always necessary, and in my opinion, do not look realistic.

I use steel wool or a Scotchbrite pad to dull and weather the finish. To me, it looks more realistic than a clear coat.

My Stuka was done in this method.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Thanks Tom. We've had a lot of opportunity (snow) this winter where your stuka would have had a nice photo op. Sadly. [:@] Good for building I guess.

I used Lustrekote flat clear years ago and found that over time (a few years) it would 'yellow'. May have just been a few bad cans, but it's enough for me to avoid the product. Over a colored background it's not too noticable, but over a white or light color it really stood out.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya, Sean. Most clear paints (petroleum based) yellow over time. I've even noticed it over colored backgrounds.

We've had plenty of photo ops, up here, too. LOL

The Stuka pics were taken on the shores of Lake Michigan, a couple years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56322.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1568617  
Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

after using warbirdcolors paints, I use there satin clear coat to blend the colors, and dull the lines between the different colors, it has a light shine to it but is allot less than the actual paint colors have they tend to be a little glossy the clear has a more pronounced duller sheen.