Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hanger nine corsair/ YS12

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hanger nine corsair/ YS12

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM
tmaucher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger nine corsair/ YS12

I have a used hanger nine corsair that I picked up at an auction. It had a OS 120 in it before and I have a YS 120 to put in it. I just got the retract servo from hitec in the mail and it looks as if it has the original retracts in it, with the addition of struts on it. My question is What size and make of three bladed prop will make it rock both flying wise and aestetically wise. The front seems to have been epoxied and I will reinforce the spar in the wing if possible. thanks for your help
Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hanger nine corsair/ YS12

it flys fine with a OS91 surpass, so a YS 120 is going to be really close to the top end of the power range,the plane doesn't like too much power and you need to make sure the wing structure is solid also if your going for high speed you might want to read the lengthly H-9 Corsair thread stuff like skinning the tail feathers with balsa for strength.

the wing is also known for tearing its self apart when overstressed at the bends
Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 AM
skillet92

Had a G-20 in mine that had BADDDDDDDDDDDDD pitch up problems when power was applied. The YS 120 will be worse. Tmaucher is correct read the thread on it and you will see where people had wing failures from speed and dives. If flown scale it flys great. But to answer one of your question. I turned a 15x7 MAS 3 blade. I am willing to bet with the YS you will be able to turn the 16x7 or 16x8 MAS three blade.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 AM
tmaucher

Thanks guys and I have read the threads, but I was hoping that the plane would take the 120 It really sounds that if I want to fast fly I had better get the kmp, and maybe put the saito 91 in the corsair. thanks again, ps I might just risk it
Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a YS 140 DZ in a H9 60-sized P-51...

The others who posted are correct. You'll need to reinforce everything. I had flying wires on the horizontal and vertical stabs, and the firewall was (heavily) glassed in with 6 oz fiber cloth.

I never did anything to the main wing, and it held up fine.

If simplicity mixed with some higher speed is what you're after, then the .91 motor is the better choice.

All that aside, no glow-powered, single cylinder, 4-stroke motor sounds better than a big YS with a straight header pipe (no muffler)!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 AM
turboratt89

i have a os 120 pumper in mine and no problem at all with the extra power i belive i have a 14/6 three blade on it i would have to double check but as for power it is perfect
Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 AM
tmaucher

ORIGINAL: turboratt89

i have a os 120 pumper in mine and no problem at all with the extra power i belive i have a 14/6 three blade on it i would have to double check but as for power it is perfect
Now were talking. I would appreciate the checking of the prop size and make please. I was thinking it would be a something ish. thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 AM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good .91 or a Saito 100 is the most you should go. If you go any higher you will need to beef the firewall and the wing and tail feathers. If you dont, eventually you'll see why and might lose more than a plane in the process.