Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: ESM FW D-9

A few ml of marvels tool oil should fix it
Old 10-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks gents. Then site for the exaust is, Www.fighteraces.co.uk under the scale dummy exaust portion. I ordered three and got the confirmation today that they'll ship Monday. Someone on this forum gave me this information, Thanks to that person! there was minimal damage to the belly thanks to reinforcing that plastic pan, nice burn treads though. The red is super visible which was great. I have 23% expo as it rolls fairly fast. The DLE had plenty of power considering my max rpm 7000 and i was pushing 6340.

I was pm'd a solution for the tanks that when things calm down here, I'll look into along with these others.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM
WWIIP38
My Feedback: (43)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: IL2windhawk

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

I used the Sierra gear all around, looking at the tail retract, the seal looks to have come lose...that may be the reason for air loss![:@].
That's the second time I've heard about air loss from Sierra's FW tail retract. I think the first was from Invertmast who had the same problem on the Holman Anton he just built. I recall he posted something about how he fixed it himself.

Congrats on the maiden flight, even if it ended with a belly landing. Just look at the bright side: when you decide to repaint it, now you won't have to sand the paint off the bottom
Had the same problem with a Sierra tail wheel retract on my SisT Fw-190. Lubricated the cylinder with Marvel air tool oil. Then pressurized the retract system, manually pulled the tail wheel retract through it's range of motion. This reset the o-ring in it's groove.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 AM
mudflap31

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Exhausts from Fighteraces here, they look like this after a little work....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12547.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1679723  
Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 AM
corsair183
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations to Ram, He is the winner.

But isn't this a building thread? So no one should be rushed.

I was feeling some pressure to get my 109 airborne recently. Maiden flight. Good thing I didn't yield. Engine vibration during taxiing caused one of the air valve screws to drop out. Air leak. No gear for landing. Somehow I had the wrong model setup as well. Ailerons were reversed.

I do expect a successful maiden at some point.

I ordered a spinner from a guy in Germany. Kind of expensive $160.00. Its supposed to be like the spinner for the Sist Fw 190 D9. Ill see if I can get a pic up when it comes in.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 AM
mudflap31

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

With everything set to factory trims and balanced per the instructions, she was a little nose heavy. Nose dropped just slightly.

More to follow.
We just did a CG calculator check, the results confirm what Ram says (not that we think he is a liar!! we just wondered what it would say)

Here are the results...

Name:	Rp43914.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1679740  
Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM
mudflap31

So, 197mm from the LE at the root, sounds a little nicer for us

I will do the same with some other CG calculators and see how they come out...

Muds
Old 10-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

See if I can get these pictures to load up from my phone. I got these pilots from a gent off Ebay. If interested, look under German pilot, he had one left last time I checked.

Three..., one for each FW I have left in the Que..

Name:	Jg14265.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1679787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70527.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1679788  
Old 10-29-2011, 03:21 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: STICK MODE
Congratulations on getting there Ram and my thoughts go you to you mate over your death in your family im slowly chugging along with my FW wings are stripped off and holes filled in will glass it this weekend hopefully. Fuselage is about to get sprayed in undercoat panel lines then the big rivet job have cut back turtle deck behind canopy ready to fit the sliding rails but might just do the cockpit yet any thoughts on this which I should do first etc HEY RAM thanks for all the imput and ideas you have given me since the start of your build WONDER if Daves ok
Hey Stick,

Firstly, RAM my condolences on your loss, and I will be praying for your family mate.

Yes I'm fine, thanks for asking. But like RAM, I got sick and tired of people pushing and carrying on about finishing the model so I haven't been posting on this thread.

I'm not the manufacture, I'm not responsible for supplying everyone with what they want to see. I don't care if you buy the model only if it flies nice, because I don't get paid for any sales of the model. I am a modeller who likes to build, and does so when I can, if I can, and when I feel like it. If people are really keen to see this model fly, then they should do what we have done and put your money were your mouth is. why should I be one of the few to take the financial risk? I have been taken aback by how insistant some posters have been.

As for the model. It's now completed to the flying stage. I was at the field yesterday with the Heavy model inspector all lined up, video camera man, and camera man, all ready to go and due to a radio technical drama, burned out the throttle servo and the retract servo. Took a fair while to fault find and I only had enough spares to rectify the retract servo at the field so everyone went home disappointed. Its all been sorted now, but it will now be waiting until next weekend until I can get a heavy model inspector lined up again and I can't transport the model myself yet so my flying buddy has to come and pick me up[:'(]

Thanks

dave
Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 PM
STICK MODE

Dave
You have echoed my thoughts exactly walk the talk and buy the kit and build it. One question did you weigh the model? Curiosity has me here to what is the final weight all up. Mine is progressing at my normal build rate slow and reverse[:-] but I will get there[&o] glad your ok mate cheers
Old 10-29-2011, 08:08 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: STICK MODE

Dave
You have echoed my thoughts exactly walk the talk and buy the kit and build it. One question did you weigh the model? Curiosity has me here to what is the final weight all up. Mine is progressing at my normal build rate slow and reverse[:-] but I will get there[&o] glad your ok mate cheers

AUW dry 11.6kg (25.6lbs) ready to fly. That included 0.5kg (1lbs) of lead in the nose, and I have my 3x 2s 2500mah li-po's up against the firewall as well. The sierra's and glennis wheels add about 2lbs weight over what a "standard" set of gear weigh. I don't have the retractable tailwheel installed either, so the weight will climb a little more after the refurb.

I was devestated when we couldn't fly yesterday as it's a real pain to get all the stars to align so to speak. our club only has 3-4 heavy model inspectors so to find one that available when I am and can get the model out to the field is a real pain. I would apply to become one myself but you need a minimum 5years experience with heavy models. I only have 2-3yrs at this stage. Seeing as I have to wait another week I might get a start on my roof rack mounts so I can transport the dora myself. One of the biggest concerns is driving around with the swastica on the tail [X(]

Thanks

dave
Old 10-30-2011, 12:25 AM
mudflap31

Hi Dave,

Good luck on the maiden, good things come to those who wait and all that [8D]

This 'heavy model' thing, what weight does that start at? I've not heard of that before, what does a 'heavy model inspector' have to do to qualify? is it purely 5 years experience in modelling? Is it a localised thing for your club or more widespread?

I'll weigh mine today, she's ready for flight too, I'm well happy with the homemade exhausts, she sound 100% better on the XYZ, beefy and low in tone, quieter and revs the same.

Muds
Old 10-30-2011, 01:08 AM
STICK MODE

Mud Here in nz like in Australia we are restricted in weight i just looked it up here on the nz site here and i would say the same is in Aust or close its run by the CCA here are some of the rules i found Category 1: Models 15kg – 25kg
Authority is delegated to MFNZ by CAA to issue Permits to Fly to owners of
radio controlled model aircraft in the weight range 15kg – 25kg. It is illegal
under NZ law for models of this weight to be flown without written permission
from MFNZ. Certification is also required by MFNZ safety rules,>>>>>>>>>>>that buggers me up been doing it for years [:-]

Category 2: Models 25kg – 100kg (in law, actually ‘pilotless aircraft’)
CAA authorizes MFNZ to manage the certification process and to recommend
that CAA issues written permits to owners of pilotless aircraft in the range
25kg – 100kg, to be flown for recreational use only. MFNZ has sole authority
from CAA to inspect such aircraft, to make recommendations to CAA, and to
issue Permits to Fly at Public Sites, relating to aircraft/pilot combinations.
Certification is also required by MFNZ safety rules.

Im sure Dave is tied to pretty much the same rules will be good to get his imput the MFNZ is the Model flying association New Zealand only they can issue or pass a model for flying due to weight i know here with one of my turbines i had to do 5 flights >>>>but she was 32kg x by 210 mph thats a big weapon in the air so understandable
Old 10-30-2011, 01:29 AM
mudflap31

Cheers SM, I know it's a little OT but..

15kg is around 33lbs, surely his 190 comes under this??

Just curious [8D]

Muds
Old 10-30-2011, 02:02 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Folks, regarding the XYZ engine;

If you look at this picture ; There is a bolt sticking out of the center with 10 mm outer diameter.

And they expect me to start drilling lots of small holes in the propeller around the circumfere.....

I want to replace that bolt with a new one with 10mm fine threads on the outside.

So that I can fix the propeller with one 10 mm nut. As I do with my Saito FG-57 and Zenoah GT-80.

Anyone else done this job?

My guess is that there is a cone on the inside with a woodruff key, and the "bolt" with no outside threads
you see on the picture , is mounted on that cone.

One would then need an adapter to mount on the cone instead of the existing bolt......

Anyone? I would hate to start drilling all those holes in my propellers.....

Name:	Sq46079.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	1680366  
Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: mudflap31

Just curious [8D]

Muds

Hey Mud, Yep, mine comes in at 25lbs.

The weight brackets here in Oz seem to be a little different to NZ. the first category is 7kg to 25kg. (15.4lbs to 55lbs), and designed to ensure that the model is built and operated in a manner which ensure the safety of model and people around it.

I am going throught the same process with my 132" Lancaster I have been building on and off again for ages. During construction, the heavy model inspector is require to veiw the structure before sheeting and make any recommendation as required to ensure the structual ingerity of the model. Another inspection is required once the equipment is installed and ready to go. This often happens as a preflight on the day of the maiden. Clearly the structure cannot be totally inspected on an ARF so they do the best they can with these models. The heavy model inspector must them also be present for the first flights of the model. It;s at this stage, that I as the owner must specify what type of maneuvers I wish to certify the model for. In the case of the Dora, clearly not unlimited areobatics, and the inspector would more than likely try to persuade me otherwise if i did want to, but I will be selecting warbird type maneovers, rolls, loops, etc. Once successfully flown with no problems I am then issued with a certificate which qualifies the model and me as the pilot to perform these maneuvers. If my mate want to fly the model later on, he can, but only in my presence. If he wanted to go to an event that I couldn't make it too, he must also then be certified to fly the model by a HMI (heavy model inspector). This all ties in with our insurance coverage. In England they have a similar system for even larger models run by the LMA (large model association). In the US, it's somewhat simial to the turbine waiver system from what I understand. I had to do the same process here for my turbine model but I also had to show compency in the safe operation of the turbine and that I had the correct safety equipment.

All in all, its a very very similar system to the full sized homebuilt aircraft processes.

What do you need to become qualified? from what I can tell, it seem like you need 5 years experience in heavy models and I think you have to take a short course. Seeing as I have been an aircraft mainenance engineer for the last 15years, and did study aeronautical engineering for 1.5 years, and am currently employed as a quality inspector for a very large airline over here I think I should be ok in terms of the safe building/operation of aircraft they might knock me back for lack of experience time wise as My first heavy model was 2-3 years ago.

Thanks

dave
Old 10-30-2011, 03:30 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: kwik

If you look at this picture ; There is a bolt sticking out of the center with 10 mm outer diameter.

And they expect me to start drilling lots of small holes in the propeller around the circumfere.....

I want to replace that bolt with a new one with 10mm fine threads on the outside.

So that I can fix the propeller with one 10 mm nut. As I do with my Saito FG-57 and Zenoah GT-80.

My guess is that there is a cone on the inside with a woodruff key, and the ''bolt'' with no outside threads

One would then need an adapter to mount on the cone instead of the existing bolt......

Kiwk,

The bolt patterns are exactly the same as the DA-50, DA-60, DLE-55, OS-55GT, etc, and the 100cc engines run a similar bolt pattern, so there should be 0 issues with drilling those holes into the prop hub. I have not pulled the hub of the XYZ so I couldn't tell you, but it does seem like a whole heap of work to modify it for not a lot of gain?

Thanks

dave
Old 10-30-2011, 03:57 AM
mudflap31

ORIGINAL: ticketec

ORIGINAL: mudflap31

Just curious [8D]

Muds

Hey Mud, Yep, mine comes in at 25lbs.

The weight brackets here in Oz seem to be a little different to NZ. the first category is 7kg to 25kg. (15.4lbs to 55lbs), and designed to ensure that the model is built and operated in a manner which ensure the safety of model and people around it.

I am going throught the same process with my 132'' Lancaster I have been building on and off again for ages. During construction, the heavy model inspector is require to veiw the structure before sheeting and make any recommendation as required to ensure the structual ingerity of the model. Another inspection is required once the equipment is installed and ready to go. This often happens as a preflight on the day of the maiden. Clearly the structure cannot be totally inspected on an ARF so they do the best they can with these models. The heavy model inspector must them also be present for the first flights of the model. It;s at this stage, that I as the owner must specify what type of maneuvers I wish to certify the model for. In the case of the Dora, clearly not unlimited areobatics, and the inspector would more than likely try to persuade me otherwise if i did want to, but I will be selecting warbird type maneovers, rolls, loops, etc. Once successfully flown with no problems I am then issued with a certificate which qualifies the model and me as the pilot to perform these maneuvers. If my mate want to fly the model later on, he can, but only in my presence. If he wanted to go to an event that I couldn't make it too, he must also then be certified to fly the model by a HMI (heavy model inspector). This all ties in with our insurance coverage. In England they have a similar system for even larger models run by the LMA (large model association). In the US, it's somewhat simial to the turbine waiver system from what I understand. I had to do the same process here for my turbine model but I also had to show compency in the safe operation of the turbine and that I had the correct safety equipment.

All in all, its a very very similar system to the full sized homebuilt aircraft processes.

What do you need to become qualified? from what I can tell, it seem like you need 5 years experience in heavy models and I think you have to take a short course. Seeing as I have been an aircraft mainenance engineer for the last 15years, and did study aeronautical engineering for 1.5 years, and am currently employed as a quality inspector for a very large airline over here I think I should be ok in terms of the safe building/operation of aircraft they might knock me back for lack of experience time wise as My first heavy model was 2-3 years ago.

Thanks

dave

Thanks for the clarification Dave, the 7kg-25kg makes it alot clearer

Muds
Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 AM
n8622t

My guess is that there is a cone on the inside with a woodruff key, and the ''bolt'' with no outside threads

Kwik let me help ya a bit...I have been perforating props, as you put it, for 13 years on engines that vary from 48cc to 170cc. They all have the 10mm output shaft hub and have required 4 to six holes, drilled through the prop hub. At one time or another, those(mine) perforated props have nicked the dirt, concrete, asphalt, and a finger or two and they have actually plowed furrows into the ground. In all that, not one singe prop has exploded, splintered, or come apart at the hub in any way. They have been tried and tested and the drilled holes will not degrade the integrity of a propeller. Think about it, if "perforating" a prop caused someone to loose an eye on a regular basis, DA, 3W, WYX, DLE, and all the other wanna be big engine manufacturers would stop making multi-bolt output shafts for their engines. I am not in any way trying to change your mind, just sharing my own experience with you.
I hope this will ease your fear of an exploding prop

Jimmy
Old 10-30-2011, 07:46 AM
kwik

ORIGINAL: n8622t

Kwik let me help ya a bit...I have been perforating props, as you put it, for 13 years on engines that vary from 48cc to 170cc. They all have the 10mm output shaft hub and have required 4 to six holes, drilled through the prop hub. At one time or another, those(mine) perforated props have nicked the dirt, concrete, asphalt, and a finger or two and they have actually plowed furrows into the ground. In all that, not one singe prop has exploded, splintered, or come apart at the hub in any way. They have been tried and tested and the drilled holes will not degrade the integrity of a propeller. Think about it, if ''perforating'' a prop caused someone to loose an eye on a regular basis, DA, 3W, WYX, DLE, and all the other wanna be big engine manufacturers would stop making multi-bolt output shafts for their engines. I am not in any way trying to change your mind, just sharing my own experience with you.
I hope this will ease your fear of an exploding prop

Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy,

The main reason for not drilling 4 extra holes is really that I am lazy.

Around here no-one is doing it. When replacing a propeller, you just put it on the 10mm axle, tighten the nut, and thats it.

Now I will have to get myself a drill-press, in order to drill the holes straight.

Extra work! [:'(]

I managed to have a look at the current adapter, which is 10mm, but no threads;

It is mounted on the crankshaft axle, and the threads on the axle is about 8mm, but I couldnt screw in a 8mm bolt.
Just testing, you know.
So the threads on the crankshaft axle is close to 8 mm....so they could be 5/16" which is 7.93 mm....but I have no 5/16 bolt,
so cannot check.

Anyway, getting an adapter nut ala Dave Brown with 10mm threads in one end, and 5/16 in the other would do the trick!

But dont know where to get such a nut, so I guess a drill press is the next investment.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:29 AM
n8622t

Ahhhhhhhh...Kwik the truth will set ya free. LOL I knew there was another motive for not drilling those props. There must be some store in your country that sells an inexpensive drill press, over here its called Harbor Freight. A bunch of Chinese made junk you have to sift through in order to find what would be acceptable...some of it is good but a lot of it is baaaaad Anyway ole bean, just bite the bullet and go shopping Hope you make a great find!

jimmy
Old 10-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

Kwik,
I think youre looking for one of those single bolt prop adapters. This is sold by valley view rc but is for the DLE55 my guess it could work just the same however. valleyviewrc.com Look it up under prop adapters.
Louis
Old 10-30-2011, 10:54 AM
kwik

HEY ! Look at that!

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/d...er-dle-55.html

Louis, you might have saved the day!! Yes, indeed, the thruth set me free!!

Hereby ordered! (Hopefully it is 10mm, and the 4 bolts fits...)

Thanks Louis, Jimmy, and the rest for taking your time reading about my engine fiddling.

Jimmy, I already know about Chinese drill presses; Another hidden truth that will make me even more free;

I have one upstairs !!

And it is worthless. Can just as well do it free-hand.[:'(][:'(][:'(] But as you say Jimmy, there might be one out there, just for me!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

Hi Kwik,
No problem, im glad to share it with you. I learned about this part when trying to figure out what to do with the prop on the ESM 50 cc Spitfire which I recently finished. I would have to drill out the spinner in the same position as the prop every single time in order for the prop to come out of the openings in the nose cone correctly this can be risky. I had used the O.S. GT55 unfortunately and no solution to getting around this problem exists for that motor unless i just dremel off the front of the crank thus, im stuck using the four bolts. But I do like the DLE 55, the front of the crank simply unbolts, so its a versatile motor in that respect. Actually, most of these chinese motors arent so bad so long as you are willing to deal with it a bit.
Take care.
Louis
Old 10-30-2011, 02:20 PM
n8622t

HEY ! Look at that!

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/d...er-dle-55.html

Louis, you might have saved the day!! Yes, indeed, the thruth set me free!!

Hereby ordered! (Hopefully it is 10mm, and the 4 bolts fits...)

Thanks Louis, Jimmy, and the rest for taking your time reading about my engine fiddling.

Jimmy, I already know about Chinese drill presses; Another hidden truth that will make me even more free;

I have one upstairs !!

And it is worthless. Can just as well do it free-hand.[:'(][:'(][:'(] But as you say Jimmy, there might be one out there, just for me!
Hey Kwik, you may want to think about it before you buy it...you have to cut the output shaft of your engine off in order for that thing to work[:@] Maybe your engine has a shaft that screws on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.