Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Has the P47 replaced the P51 in popularity?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Has the P47 replaced the P51 in popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the P47 replaced the P51 in popularity?

I have been out of the loop for a good wile, so I am referring to 10-15 years ago. Back then it seemed like the P51 Mustang was the plane of planes in the RC warbird department, they were every where when you went to a meet.. Now that I am back in the hobby for the long run, it seems that the P47 has taken over.. Not that it’s a bad thing, nor is this thread to beat up the 47 in any manner..

I have just noticed over the past couple of months since I returned to the hobby, that there are P47’s all over the place. It’s pretty hard to pick up a magazine and not find a picture of a gorgeous 47 and the same can be said about websites as well. It also seems like manufactures of awesome P47’s has grown as well, lots of options in the market place..

I myself have always loved the 51, but the more I look around the Internet and in mags, the P47 is really starting to make my blood pump just a little harder when I see one, so is the FW190, but that’s another thread…

For you guys with 47 experience, I have a few questions for you.. Does a P47 fly better then a Mustang if all things are equal? How are the landing characteristics on the 47 compared to the stang?
It’s been some years since I flew a war bird, but that’s going to change this summer. I am of course not returning to flying and starting out with a warbird, I have some fingers to tune back up and have already picked up a few planes to do that with.. But warbirds are in my blood and I was going to pick up a mustang here pretty soon, but now I am thinking of a razorback.. Would a P47 be a good plane to start back with?
When I took my break, I was a good pilot, pretty much flew what ever I wanted to fly with out to much trouble.. So what do you think, should I join all you Jug Masters?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:11 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Has the P47 replaced the P51 in popularity?

My dad was crewchief on a P-51 during WWII, (Check out the article on his plane in the Jan/Feb edition of Warbirds magazing) so the mustang is near and dear to my heart. It's still one of the best looking planes of the era, but after flying a Jug, I like the way the P-47 flies better

AND, so does my dad! I gave him both the Top Flite P-51 and P-47 after I had finished their reviews and he prefers to fly the Jug (Yea, at 90 years old, he's still flying every day!).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42282.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1594884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19796.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1594885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97614.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1594886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31475.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1594887  
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

My dad was crewchief on a P-51 during WWII, (Check out the article on his plane in the Jan/Feb edition of Warbirds magazing) so the mustang is near and dear to my heart. It's still one of the best looking planes of the era, but after flying a Jug, I like the way the P-47 flies better

AND, so does my dad! I gave him both the Top Flite P-51 and P-47 after I had finished their reviews and he prefers to fly the Jug (Yea, at 90 years old, he's still flying every day!).
Mike, that's awesome. Thank your father for me for his service to this great country...

I was kind of thinking the 47 flew better then the Mustang, thus the popularity.. I agree with you, the Mustang is hard to beat on looks, but the 47 is a awesome looking plane as well and it's growing on me..
Old 04-16-2011, 07:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I gotta admit, from the minute that jug lifted off on the maiden flight I was immediately comfortable with it! It was like I had been flying it for years.

Usually I don't mind giving my review planes to my dad after I'm done (I figure it's the least I can do for all of the planes he gave me as a kid) and I had promised him that he could have the jug after I had shot the video, but after flying it, I wished i had never told him that! [:@]
Old 04-16-2011, 07:26 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the better designed planes its pretty much the same - for instance for Top Flite their 60 size p51 and p47 gold edition both fly fine (I have had both of these but not their arfs). I think there is no advantage to either plane in the Top Flite planes. As for the other manufacturers H9 has a pretty good but kind of light p47 arf, but their blue nose mustang arf is fairly unforgiving. ESM has great looking arfs but they build out pretty heavy, and the CG on their mustang is way off in their instructions. World/airborne models has a great flying mustang in both the 60 size and the 81 inch size (I have both of these), and they have a great flying 70 inch p47.

If you are going to build from a kit the Top flites are still great choices. Ziroli and Meister have good designs in giant scale for both planes, although in my opinion the Meister p51 doesn't look as good as the Ziroli. I have flown only the 70 inch Ziroli p47 between these two.

But to summarize it seems that some of the arf suppliers (not all) seem to have gotten their p47 designs debugged/flying better than their p51s. And its easier to fit the new gas engines in the p47 cowls. But then its always been easier to fit engines in the p47 cowl.

To me the best choice would be any size Top Flite p51 or p47, or either size of the World/Airborne models p51s or their p47. Take a hard look at the DLE and DA gas engines too- you can get mufflers from Jtec to fit them into either the mustang cowls or the p47 cowls nicely. Retracts is another long debate .

Ed
Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I gotta admit, from the minute that jug lifted off on the maiden flight I was immediately comfortable with it! It was like I had been flying it for years.

Usually I don't mind giving my review planes to my dad after I'm done (I figure it's the least I can do for all of the planes he gave me as a kid) and I had promised him that he could have the jug after I had shot the video, but after flying it, I wished i had never told him that! [:@]

You have a double wammy, he is your dad and he is a vet, your pretty much screwed on that one!!

I have a TF GS P47 kit as well as the 60 kit, they are going on the bench soon as the US is done. One thing is for sure, air retracts are gonna be a real treat after the %$$%@#@# I'm dealing with right now...
Old 04-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: rc34074

For the better designed planes its pretty much the same - for instance for Top Flite their 60 size p51 and p47 gold edition both fly fine (I have had both of these but not their arfs). I think there is no advantage to either plane in the Top Flite planes. As for the other manufacturers H9 has a pretty good but kind of light p47 arf, but their blue nose mustang arf is fairly unforgiving. ESM has great looking arfs but they build out pretty heavy, and the CG on their mustang is way off in their instructions. World/airborne models has a great flying mustang in both the 60 size and the 81 inch size (I have both of these), and they have a great flying 70 inch p47.

If you are going to build from a kit the Top flites are still great choices. Ziroli and Meister have good designs in giant scale for both planes, although in my opinion the Meister p51 doesn't look as good as the Ziroli. I have flown only the 70 inch Ziroli p47 between these two.

But to summarize it seems that some of the arf suppliers (not all) seem to have gotten their p47 designs debugged/flying better than their p51s. And its easier to fit the new gas engines in the p47 cowls. But then its always been easier to fit engines in the p47 cowl.

To me the best choice would be any size Top Flite p51 or p47, or either size of the World/Airborne models p51s or their p47. Take a hard look at the DLE and DA gas engines too- you can get mufflers from Jtec to fit them into either the mustang cowls or the p47 cowls nicely. Retracts is another long debate .

Ed
ED,
It's flying season now, so the kits are gonna be started in the fall... I was looking at either the 47 or the 51 from ESM, with a DLE 30.. I like gas, well not at the pump($3.89gal)..lol
I read about others saying the CG location on the 51 is way off, any thing bad on the 47? For a ARF, they look pretty good and the size is good for a small gasser that wont break the bank..
Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 PM
rc34074

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: rc34074

Ed
ED,
It's flying season now, so the kits are gonna be started in the fall... I was looking at either the 47 or the 51 from ESM, with a DLE 30.. I like gas, well not at the pump($3.89gal)..lol
I read about others saying the CG location on the 51 is way off, any thing bad on the 47? For a ARF, they look pretty good and the size is good for a small gasser that wont break the bank..
Take a look at spare parts availability for the ESM planes.. To me for a first warbird getting back into them I would suggest a plane where you can get a fair number of spare parts fairly easily.
If you get an ESM and are willing to spend $250 for a NICE muffler check into the Keleo Creations mufflers - I'm not sure if they have one for the P47 but they have a very nice fairly scale exhaust setup for the mustang if you end up using the DLE30. Another good 30cc engine choice is the SAP180 made by Todd Syssa. This engine costs more up front but fits the mustang and spitfire cowls very nicely with their standard exhaust.

Ed
Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Top Flite Mustang ARF AND Top Flite Thunderbolt ARF. Both use same retracts, both weigh about 10 lbs, P-47 is MUCH easier to fly. Proof is in my landing gear: Mustang gears keeps getting damaged/ needing repairs (plastic housings are too brittle), same gear on P-47 has never needed repair, because it lands so much easier.

Another side of the story tho: many of us (including me) think that the P-51 was TOO popular, and that the full scales are over-rated as a fighter plane. We do not believe it is responsible for winning the war (as do many P-51 fans), and in fact: we believe the P-47 did more to end the war than the P-51. The Mustang was sleek looking, and had an exceptional range. Other than that, no clear advantage over the P-47 in terms of perfomance, and P-51s are at a dis-advantage in terms of ability to absorb combat damage and return home.

In practcal terms: the full scale P-51 is much more economical than the P-47 (it gets much better gas milage and is cheaper to maintain).

My Top Flite Mustang was my first Mustang, and my Thunderbolt was my first also. I can see me getting another Thunderbolt down the road (next time: a 'razoback'), but not another Mustang.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Mustangman40

CJ,
I built the TF mustang and had a ASP108 in it and it was a bear on  landings.. I remember busting out both gear trying to touch down to fast and that was at a meet, still got the pilots choice award though...lol
I eventually got the hang of her and flew it all summer before I sold it to a original Tuskegee airmen, he was a very neat guy to talk with about the P51.. I was honored he was going to strip down my BBD and finish it in his colors…

I am kind of thinking more on the ESM Mustang, only because I have both TF P-47 kits (60 & GS), so I will have a 47 in the near future..
But the fact that the 47 is a better flier, has me leaning that way under the circumstances of lack of stick time..

I think I will wait till after I maiden a few planes this spring and see how I feel behind the controls, I'm sure I forgot more then I knew...

Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

I go as far as saying that no allied fighter won the war in Europe. it was the B-17, bombing towns, factories, & most important,
fuel & oil depots. hundreds & hundreds of B-17's went out on single sorties. if only just a few made it to there target, mission
accomplished, & to hell with the losses. thats how the war was one. superior numbers. not nessesarly superior aircraft.

now the nay sayers will point out all the kills by mustang pilots, well when they outnumbered the Luftwaffe 10, 50, 100:1,
then sure... they'll get some kills in late 1944. 1945. theres plenty of facts about 300 Bf109's going to intercept 600-800
fighters & 1000-1200 B-17s. a third of the 109's never made it back. outstanding considering the odds. and yet, they still
managed to down well over 100 allied aircraft. amazing. also, the top 10 Luftwaffeaces shot down more aircraft then all
alliesaces combined on all fronts of the war.

so yeah... Mustang way over rated. P-47 was good for high altitude, but a sitting duck down low.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Experten109/40

I go as far as saying that no allied fighter won the war in Europe. it was the B-17, bombing towns, factories, & most important,
fuel & oil depots. hundreds & hundreds of B-17's went out on single sorties. if only just a few made it to there target, mission
accomplished, & to hell with the losses. thats how the war was one. superior numbers. not nessesarly superior aircraft.

now the nay sayers will point out all the kills by mustang pilots, well when they outnumbered the Luftwaffe 10, 50, 100:1,
then sure... they'll get some kills in late 1944. 1945. theres plenty of facts about 300 Bf109's going to intercept 600-800
fighters & 1000-1200 B-17s. a third of the 109's never made it back. outstanding considering the odds. and yet, they still
managed to down well over 100 allied aircraft. amazing. also, the top 10 Luftwaffe aces shot down more aircraft then all
allies aces combined on all fronts of the war.

so yeah... Mustang way over rated. P-47 was good for high altitude, but a sitting duck down low.
Has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Experten109/40

managed to down well over 100 allied aircraft. amazing. also, the top 10 Luftwaffeaces shot down more aircraft then all
alliesaces combined on all fronts of the war.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.
was commenting on CJ's post. you can always hit the "report" button and asked for it to be deleted.
thanks.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:53 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

although the p47 is a bad***** plane nothing beats the mustang. Its a shame they are both over popular with a bunch of really off scale arfs.Good luck with which ever one you pick.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:43 PM
archie05

This may not be very fair to the p-51 but here goes what I did. I have been in love with the P-51 ever since I was a kid. One of our club members has the p-47 and he let me fly it. It was so easy to fly as Minn says, I had to have one. Felt like I had been flying it for years. So I got the TF p-47 kit to build. In all fairness, I will get a p-51 some time down the road. Most of our club members have stated at one time or another that the p-47 seems to be the easiest warbird to fly. Good luck with your choice.

Archie
Old 04-17-2011, 02:05 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I talked to a WWII vet who flew both and favored the 'Bolt! So one more 'vote' for the P-47
Old 04-17-2011, 04:26 PM
oldtimer4759

I have an ESM P-47, with a DLE 30 and the ESM retracts, it is a nice model to fly, heaps of power, heaps of speed, just set your C of G forward of where they say, give it a bit of right thrust, go for it, very nice to fly, looks good, nice to land.
mine came in about 14lb, no lead. Here is a link, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94..._1/key_/tm.htm
it is a good one. In fact I like it so much I have just bought the ESM P-51B, it will have an RCG 26 engine with ESM Retracts.
Oldtimer.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:25 PM
jeffEE

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it sort of goes in cycles. The P-51 was big for a while, then I saw a bunch of Corsairs, then P-47's. Now I see a lot of Skyraiders. And the WWI aircraft are getting big also. Maybe its a local thing as to what is being flow most. I guess I like them all so I never thought that much of it.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:34 PM
TimT2000

Hi, and welcome back!  I have been flying P-47's for a while now,, so I want a big
p-51 now.  I am looking for a 90 - 110 inch stang for a 100cc inline engine.  I do love the
way the big P-47's fly.  Very nice and smooth.  I'll bet a big p-51 fly's good too.

Cheers
Tim
Old 04-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: TimT2000

Hi, and welcome back! I have been flying P-47's for a while now,, so I want a big
p-51 now. I am looking for a 90 - 110 inch stang for a 100cc inline engine. I do love the
way the big P-47's fly. Very nice and smooth. I'll bet a big p-51 fly's good too.

Cheers
Tim
Thanks Tim, good to be back...

I been trying to find a nice looking Razorback 47 ARF and haven't really seen one, everything seems to be a Bubble... I think it will be a Mustang ARFfor me and i will build my Razorback this fall.. I almost hit the buy button on the ESM G.G., little more looking first...
Old 04-17-2011, 07:55 PM
dvs1

I have always been a Fan of the P-51. My dad was a modeler of 1:48 scale planes back in the 60's and 70's and growing up in the 80's his mustang was always my favorite. In fact I have it in my office on top of my computer desk. Anyway my point is that of the two I would always have a P-51 over the P-47 whether it be a model, scale warbird or the real deal! But I do like the thunderbolt. Having a 1/5 scale Mustang, I would eventually like to build a Meister P-47 in the future. As far as the other semantics I won't get involved with my opinions.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:45 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

I have been out of the loop for a good wile, so I am referring to 10-15 years ago. Back then it seemed like the P51 Mustang was the plane of planes in the RC warbird department, they were every where when you went to a meet.. Now that I am back in the hobby for the long run, it seems that the P47 has taken over.. Not that it’s a bad thing, nor is this thread to beat up the 47 in any manner..

I have just noticed over the past couple of months since I returned to the hobby, that there are P47’s all over the place. It’s pretty hard to pick up a magazine and not find a picture of a gorgeous 47 and the same can be said about websites as well. It also seems like manufactures of awesome P47’s has grown as well, lots of options in the market place..

I myself have always loved the 51, but the more I look around the Internet and in mags, the P47 is really starting to make my blood pump just a little harder when I see one, so is the FW190, but that’s another thread…

For you guys with 47 experience, I have a few questions for you.. Does a P47 fly better then a Mustang if all things are equal? How are the landing characteristics on the 47 compared to the stang?
It’s been some years since I flew a war bird, but that’s going to change this summer. I am of course not returning to flying and starting out with a warbird, I have some fingers to tune back up and have already picked up a few planes to do that with.. But warbirds are in my blood and I was going to pick up a mustang here pretty soon, but now I am thinking of a razorback.. Would a P47 be a good plane to start back with?
When I took my break, I was a good pilot, pretty much flew what ever I wanted to fly with out to much trouble.. So what do you think, should I join all you Jug Masters?

Take a nice P-51 and hang it in your shop for your family and buddies to admire, but take a P-47 to the field to fly and have fun with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45203.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1595781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19028.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1595782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93619.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1595783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86720.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1595784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73162.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1595785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51227.jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1595786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75336.jpg
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1595787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99774.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1595788  

Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
oldtimer4759

Most War Birds are great, the 47 is nice to fly, I expect the 51 will be as good, once I get it set up the way I like, they are both very popular models.
lets face it, there are people out there that dont like FORD's.
cheers, Oldtimer.

there are only 2 types of Aircraft, War Birds and Targets,