Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Warbirds over west texas

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbirds over west texas

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 AM
mmorg1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warbirds over west texas

Who's going and what are you bringing?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 PM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Warbirds over west texas

Well, knock on wood... I'll be there with a H9 P-51D yellow tail and a eRC B-25J.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Better bring water and ice. Lots of water!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Bryan McLarty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

West Texas Warbirds is gearing up for another great time!

Field Prep:
The field prep team has been hard at it, mowing, weed eating,sweeping andblowing the site. They deserve a huge thank you! The City of Abernathy hasalso pledged a big helping hand withsome major site mowing, sweeping the runway with astreetsweeper, loaning pylon cones and a firstfor this year,Volunteer Firemen and Pumper Truck! You never can be too careful in such dry conditions, especially when weare expecting some turbine aircraft. (Ask those who were at WarbirdsOver Texas in Aubrey!)

Mall Show:
Once again we will be having a pre-event mall show at the South Plain Mall in Lubbock displaying several of the Wingsmas member participating aircraft and promoting the event for spectator viewing. The Mall show is Saturday,July 30th from about0900 to about 1800.
Lots of fun for our spectators!

Vendor Prizes:
We did get several vendor door prizes this year, but I'm a little disappointed in the participationoverall. Some of thevendorsthat pledged door prizes last year haven't repeated for this year. At least, I haven't heard from them yet.Horizon Hobbies continuesto be a huge disappointment once again and won't do JACKSQUAT! With the amount of market share they haveand considering all of theirsubdivisions, its really B.S.they don't participate withAMA sanctioned contests more.We havereceived at least somenicesmalldonations from Tower Hobbies andHobbico. Hobbico (Great Planes)always provides something nice! Gino DiGeorgio with Meister Scalesent a certificate for a set of plans! Thanksto him and Meister Scale! We may have a few more trickle in!

Hotel:
This may be a problem if you areplanning to share a room with a travel buddy. Texas Tech parents weekend isthe same weekendas our and visting parents are filling up rooms. Pleaseact now to secure yourrooms, guys! Imay can help you ifyou are having trouble. Just let me know if I can be of assistance. 806-789-4922

Pilot's Dinner:
Planned Saturday evening, wewill be at the 50 Yard-linerestaurant this year. Nice place with a private diningroom just for us. Meal will be either chicken, fish or steak meal with sides, etc. Alcohol will be availablefor dinner. The speaker for the evening is Col. Kenneth Hite, USAF (ret.). Col. HIte is a very interesting man who is planning an evening with side show presentation. HInt: His brother flew with the Doolittle Raiders! Please send me your head count and meal selections forwhatpromises to be a great evening.

It should be great time, guys! I hope we can host some first timers andhave an opportunity to get to know you! If you're coming, bring a buddy or two or three with you.

What am Ibringing? I will have my trusty H&M Performance Spitfire and hopefully my new ESM SBD Dauntless.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Bryan McLarty

Are you coming, Chip?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 PM
airborneandlovingit

Hi guys. I'll be there with bells on. I'm not sure yet if I'll be doing much flying since I'll have other duties to perform such as announcing, shooting some pics and vids. Miss Lubbock 2008 (Brittney Bennett) will be here to do our pilot interviews for the DVD and will sing the National anthem at the commencement of the "after break" flying on Saturday. We're having a couple of planes being flown out from the Texas Air Museum, Slaton Texas branch on Friday and available on static display til Sunday. Cast Iron grill catering will be providing us hungry thirsty souls with eats and drinks all 3 days for Breakfast and lunch. Of course we'll have mens and ladies porta-potties on site for those pesky calls of nature as well. Everything you could possibly need will be provided on site, except for electric hookups. Bring your easy-ups and as someone has already said lots of water. If I get a chance to fly it'll be my trusty Hangar-9 Fokker DVII and an Airfield P47 EPO electric. This is going to be a really great event and I hope to see a bunch of you there! Yee Haw!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:21 PM
mmorg1

Here is what I am bringing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49976.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1639672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98519.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1639673  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:22 PM
mmorg1

And this one had and incident and wont make it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34427.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	1639679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34375.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1639680  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Bryan McLarty

I haven't seen a French P-47 before. You will have to give our announcer some info to introduce and talk about your aircraft. It looks nice! I reallylike the Tuskegee Mustangs. Easily identifiable! What happened toBunnie?

Any other Las Cruces pilots coming with you?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM
mmorg1

the second pic of the mustang is deadstick on the maiden flight. It didnt glide as far as I thought it would and landed ten feet short of the runway. Destroyed the wing and did almost no damage to the fuse. I dont think any other cruces guys will go. I have two pilots from Alamogordo comming with me. The Jug was modeled after a one flown by a pilot from the Alsace region of France, where my mother is from. She actually has a pic of a 109G that bellied in outside of her village.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Bryan McLarty

I think you will LOVE our flying facility! Nice and wide strip, LOOOOOOOONG! The sky backdrop is perfect for R/C, especially grey or aluminum camo on nice clear days. It has NO obstructions and nothing to distract your eye. It's older pavement,but in pretty good shape withouthumps or lumps.We do have some runway lights on each side that oneor two have run into. (Ask Bill Holland ofthe Sooner Squadron guys!) We've learned to putorange pylon cones over the lights.

We also have plentyof startupand taxiway,six protected concrete pilot stationsand a good sized pit area. Oh, and don't forget our one lone elm tree.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 PM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

Just a few days away now.