Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Flight-Model KI-61 ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Flight-Model KI-61 ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 02:48 AM
dogshome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flight-Model KI-61 ???

No []

Too much work, managed to get my lad a job and am taxi for him and new dogs needing hours of walkies. On the plus side, I've pulled my belt in two notches and can walk 6 miles without feeling knackered

2 weeks off at Christmas, so hopefully will get something done.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dogs, and puppies especially, will do that for you. Good to hear you're busy and have work. I know it's been difficult for some there.

Heading to your neck of the woods after the new year to visit our eldest son and my wife's parents, brother and sisters in Warminster. Hold off the snow for us if you would please

It's never a race to finish a build...be confident with your work and check everything over with a fine tooth comb before maiden. You'll get it finished before long...and then we want a good result maiden report!

Cheers

Lee
Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 AM
dogshome

Big anti-climax

Quite windy, on-and-off raining (it is summer here in the UK ). RCGF 15cc had a half tank through it and felt good-enough. Ground absolutely sodden. But it was rigged, running and ready to go. Lots of elevator and rudder to get her moving - the grass is full of moss and very sticky. Elevator release, tail-up, back a bit and away she goes.

A lot of down trim (the elevator is absolutely flat now), wheels in and zoom about.

Ailerons sluggish compared to what I am used to in a roll (Yaks and Extras), but elevator is about right.

Very forgiving when slowed-up and just stalls a wing and nose down. No snapping or any other funnies. Not that fast either on a 13*8 prop, but OK. The engine is running rich though and the wing is semi-symmetrical, large and quite thick.

Wheels down, line it up (cross-wind D'Oh!) and just settle it in. Tipped onto her nose on the last foot - but that's due to the wet ground.

Only problem to to report is that it disappears nose-in against a grey sky coming in. Much like a Funjet Ultra does, so I am used to that. I think the flaps are not needed for landing with some headwind, only for scale-effect or zero (ha!) wind (or divine wind!). It was 10~15MPH yesterday and we have a large field.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 PM
dogshome

landing in zero wind today. Flaps definitely only needed for scale effect! Settles-down like a low-wing trainer.

13*8 gives enough speed, but loops need a bit of a dive. Little RCGF engine should spin a 14*8 so will try that now it is starting to loosen up. Need the pitch for speed. Rolls are slightly barrely, but she looks nice turning over in a sunburst
Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 AM
frets24

Great to hear that your maiden was successfull and uneventfull!! You are a pretty gutsy guy...I've been doing this RC thing for decades and I don't think I have ever had the steel to do a maiden in more than just a slight breeze. I tip my hat to you

Would you believe that I still haven flown mine yet? The summer is still young, so I may get to it this year...if I can tear myself away from the current Zero build/bash[&:]
Old 06-11-2012, 01:11 PM
dogshome

Just a decade or so here!

I considered the big wing, long fuz and reasonable tail size; but the long range weather forecast clinched it for flight last week

It is a real purring kitten and will take an awful lot of flight abuse at this moderate weight (whatever that is!) - that's with a 6.6v 2300mA LIFE rx pack, 4 cell AA NIMH ignition pack, 5 mini and 3 standard servos, double ball-raced petrol engine, electric retracts, pilot, kitchen sink and no ballast
Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 AM
dogshome

Pics

Old 06-13-2012, 01:48 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just saw this the other day. Didn't know anyone made an ARF of the Ki 61 in this size. I have a Top Flite kit built P-40 with a DLE 20 which flys crapy. I read your flight report and found out Hobby King had these and ordered one. Taking all my hardware out of the P-40, engine, fuel system and servos etc. and using in the Ki 61. I may have to beef up the gear mounting area because of our runway and my flying. May use WingSpan electric retracts and robart struts. Planning on doing the camo bit with an air brush. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:02 PM
dogshome

No probs!

DLE20 will give loads of power at similar weight to the RCGF 15 I have.
Electric retracts are what I used eventually. The Hobbyking ones fit fairly easily - don't get too stressed with bending your own wire legs though!
Mini servos with metal gears in the wings seem ample. Full size ones would add a lot of weight.

Don't think I would bother with flaps, unless you like to see them in flight. Not needed for takeoff or landing.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:40 PM
frets24

Some great shots of your Tony in the air.

A real incentive to get the Fa-91 out of mine and get the Fa-125 mounted so I can get mine up(as the actress said to the Bishop...)

What did your all-up wieght come in at?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 PM
RBean

I got the KI 61 from Hobby King. Looked it over. Looks like it is built light but should be strudy enough. How have your landing gear mounts held up? They look stronger than some ARFs I've seen. I have some off set Robart struts left over from another plane that does not need they any more (it went to the RC Planes happy hunting grounds). Also some older Spring Air retracts that accept 3/16" rods. Largest wheels the struts will take is 3.25". Do you think they will be large enough to operate off fairly short grass. The used struts are too short for this airplane so I cut some unused 3/16" struts with the coil in them for some fore and aft flex. Also angled the gear forward some with 1/8" plywood at the rear mount. Not too concerned about weight with a DLE 20 for power and the large wing area. Planning on using standard servos, because those is what I have. Trying to put this together out of the parts bin with what I have on hand. Away from home working, so will try to take some pictures when I get home.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:37 PM
dogshome

Only had a few flights - off not-so short wet grass! Be careful out there. I don't think angling is needed as the nose-over point is very high. but why not.

Dry and reasonably short grass will be fine.

The retracts are a pain to fit - especially if you want the doors. mine are in with straight legs and wheels facing out. Wheels facing in to fit the doors to the leg; I couldn't work out.

I must weigh her [&:]
Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
RBean

I'm making slow progress. I've got the gear mounted and they work ok so far. The DLE 20 just fits lenghtwise without having to do major modification. Not sure what I'm going to do for a muffler. Don't know if I'll spend money for a pitts or use the stock one. I'm going to use Du Bro pinned hinges on the elevators and rudder. I crash landed a KMP Hurricane when one of the elevators came loose when a CA hing came apart. Of coarse I have a 4" spinner which is too big and a 3.5" spinner which is too small. Need a 3.75" spinner. Here are some pictures so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51779.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1775737   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44500.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1775738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22455.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1775739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90359.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1775740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97610.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1775741  
Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 PM
frets24

The 3.75 should do nicely.

Unfortunately no one makes a P-40 shape spinner in 3.75'' or 96mm; That would be the perfect shape to match the fullscale tony. The tru-turn parabolic and similar are about the best match, the P-51 shape is really bad on this plane.

Looks like spring air retracts. Have you decided to take a break from electric retracts for a while 'til they get the bugs worked out?

That DLE looks nice tucked in the cowel there too...good fit
Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 AM
RBean

The third set of WingSpan electric retracts in my Zero are working ok so far. However, they are larger than the Spring Airs and would require extensive modificaiton of the gear mounts. Also, I already have the Spring Air retracts and they work good. So I'll use them. I have a 3.5" P-40 spinner. I guess I'll use that for now. I'll use a three blade M/A 16-8 prop. I'm going to try to embed? is that a word? the elevator and rudder servos in the fusilage. I don't like the way they have them hanging out.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
frets24

You probably saw in the "Zero" thread that my set of Wingspans has gone back as of week ago Monday. No word yet from Michael.

I found on my KI-61 that I needed about 10 oz of nose weight even with the servos all mounted well forward so you might just tape them in position (relative to fore/aft) in the back and check the CG before cutting into the covering. Dogshome would be a better reference for stock servo positioning and CG issues though since I did major modifications on mine that changed the raw weight and balance considerably. Building up some shape to the fuselage and fully sheeting it followed by glass and paint added several oz to the tail that were not comensuratly equalled or balanced by the sheeting at the nose.

Looking forward to seeing yours shape up.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
dogshome

RCGF 15cc Petrol engine plus 4 cell AA in nozzle (next to tank). 6.6V 2300 LIFE RX pack at rear of wing. With a full tank of fuel (standard huge glow tank) she balances on the OK, certainly 'no-more-to-the-rear' side. That's with rudder and elevator servos amidships with snakes.

So RX pack is moving forward and a smaller fuel tank will be fitted (maybe 45 minutes on the standard tank!).

DLE20 is similar weight to the RCGF15, so you will need ignition pack far forward (up to bulkhead) and rx pack well in front of the wing with tail-mounted servos.

Rear mounted servos and a light glow engine would need a lot of nose weight.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 PM
RBean

After reading Dogshome's post I decided to mount the servos mid ship. Didn't like the way it looked with the servo hanging out anyway. Had some "golden rods w/4-40 clevises etc in the junk box that were long enough so I used them. Put on the cowling, prop spiner and wings and mounted on CG meter. Set at 120mm as per instruction. Layed all the other equipment out it is place. Looks like it might come out nose heavy. If so, I'll mount the receiver battery in the rear fuslage.

Dongshome, what is your cg? Often I find the recommended cgs in some of these arfs to be too far back. Also is the weight?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:57 PM
frets24

Bean,

Um, you might want to make a slight correction in that last line there[X(]

Dogs and Bean,

I pulled several of the side scoops for this plane in case I messed up on the scaling it out. If either or both of you would like one it can be yours for the low, low price of sending me your address by PM
People have been good to me in this hobby and I like to pass it on whenever possible. You'd have to cut in your own grill or just paint a black rectangle on the front though. I may have a few blisters for the top of the wing as well.

Name:	Qo40100.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1776996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93461.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1776997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40964.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1776998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62945.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1776999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15851.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1777000  
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: frets24

Bean,

Um, you might want to make a slight correction in that last line there[X(]
You gotta love typos!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 PM
frets24

Still having a great time with vacuforming, Chad. Thanks for instructions way back when!!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:23 AM
dogshome

4081g (9lb 1oz). With full standard large tank.

CofG is in front half of wing wells and gives flat elevator with a full large tank. So could go further forward a bit. I admit to just putting fingers under the wing and thinking "OK". Once I have it tuned in after more flight tests, I'll measure.

It needs to be surprisingly far forwards - but I normally fly lightweight 3D stuff and gliders.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:30 PM
RBean

frets24, yes I would like a scoop. Tried to private e-mail but couldn't because of your "premission settings" ??? Not that I know much about it.

Dogshome, sorry. Never could type real well.

Still making slow progress. Putting the air system together. Then adjust controls and radio. Next is cowling. Still can't decide whether to order compact pitts J-Tec muffler or just use the stock one.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 PM
frets24

RBean, Check mail...alternate addresses. Usually if you just click on the PM (not the email) icon under any of my posts it goes right to the message box and passes right on. Email gets bounced by aol on ocassion due to my tight spam filters at aol not liking third party emails.

I'll be back home and shipping a few out after the week of the 4th.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
RBean

Frets, sent the PM. Thanks. I've been home the last couple of days and have made progress. Cowling mounted. All systems installed. Checked cg. Glad I put the servos amid ship. Would have been tail heavy with them in the rear. I ordered a J-Tec Pitts Compact muffler. I have one which is cracked but using as pattern for cowl work. Next decision is what to do about cooling. I think I'm going to have to cut air outlet in rear lower cowl with air dam/flang to create low pressure area to help exhaust hot air. But need air inlet. I guess I will have to cut holes in top front of the cowl. Don't want to.

Had vapor lock issues with DLE 20 in Mustang cowl, with rear carb and pitts muffler right under the carb. Carb was getting too hot. Ducted air from scoop under spinner to upper rear cowl area and solved problem. The engine I'm using came out of a P-40. It had that nice scoop on top of the cowl, just right for getting air to the rear carb.

Any ideas so as not to destroy scale looks but get enough cooling air to engine and carb. Here are some pictures so far.

Name:	Us53843.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1778942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57996.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1778943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46904.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1778944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91582.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1778945  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.