Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Bates 106" B-26 Marauder build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Bates 106" B-26 Marauder build

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:21 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Maiden.
Did the maiden at Dino's memorial flyin in Georgia.
Dino has been 'buggin' me for 2 years to bring her to the field so I let him maiden her.
In the 2nd half video, will see her drop. Lost momentary connection. Using my data checker, I was getting 50 failures and 3 holds. Moved 2 of the 4 satellite's from the top of the wing to the bottom of the wing and put them at 90 degrees to each other. All good with zero failures and 0 holds.
Plenty of power as most of flight at 50% throttle.
Got 3 flights on her.

First half of flight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEuc...ature=youtu.be

Second half of flight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o11e...ature=youtu.be

ps: if anyone owns one, please post pictures as I'm not aware of any other B-26's by Bates that are flying.

Sam

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BatesB2610330.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2189178  

Last edited by samparfitt; 11-06-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heck when it dropped, i about needed to change my shorts.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:50 PM
samparfitt

Ram-bro,
Tell me about it!
============

Here's a video of two 164" P-47's. There are only 2 of these flying in the 'states' and they were both at Dino's flyin (what's the chance of that ever happening again!):
One belongs to Brian Omears powered by a ZDZ 500 cc flat 4 and the other is Jim's (last name not known) powered by a Moki 400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulh3...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is definetly a different roar to those engines. I am guessing the mokivwas the 1st one by the camera
Old 11-07-2016, 03:46 AM
samparfitt

The louder of the two is the ZDZ.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:42 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam: Congratulations on the B-26 maiden and subsequent flights. Sure glad you got the RX problem sorted out.

Brian
Old 11-06-2017, 06:16 AM
frici_fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Sam,

I got in touch with you on the B-26 in 2013....now my plane is in the reanimation phase! I still would be interested in the final weight your B-26 has achieved :-) I'm finishing it and plan to have the maiden in March 2018. I got the landing gears from CenturyJet, really cool just causing a lot of work to fit in. I'm having 2x DLA-58 engines and thought also to use the 19x10 Biela 4-blade props. With the engines I got additional challenges, due to the fact that here in Germany we've got strong noise regulations so I need to fit in a large muffler into the nacelle. Once it will make it into the air, I'll let you know!

Peter
Old 11-06-2017, 11:30 AM
samparfitt

Peter,
Sounds like a good plan.
I never weigh my planes: can't take it off so why bother!
Sam
Old 01-27-2022, 04:36 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello Sam, are you still flying the marauder? I have an opportunity to buy a ready to fly, never flown b-26. I’m not sure if it has g26 or g38 engines yet. I’m waiting for the guy to get back home from his winter vacation. I am curious what your thoughts are on the plane in regards to overall performance and flight characteristics.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:33 PM
Veritech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I bought Sam's Marauder from him a few years back. It flew once at Windy City Warbirds & Classics. It flew ok but needed some fine tuning on the engines as one started to lean out during the flight. I decided I needed to change the radio from my old 11X on DSMII to my DX18 and DSMX with telemetry. I started the upgrade but have not yet finished it. Hoping maybe this year to get er done and back in the air. I also have to remove the vertical for transport in my trailer which is a bit of a pain. Thank God Sam made it removable or I would have had no way to transport it, shes a big girl!

She is a beautiful bird though, but does fly heavy, like most other large twin warbirds I guess. I think the motors are DLE 55's since they both have ignition and not magneto's. I hope the one you are looking at doesn't have G26's as that would be way to small. Even on G38's its going to need a long ground roll, even it it is build light, which mine is not. Sam built it like a tank and with all the scale details is it not a light weight.

Good luck with your purchase. I have been to many warbird meets and have never seen another one. Would be cool to see two of them in the air at the same time one day.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:44 AM
spitfire66

I have a Toyota Sienna van that I think is big enough to haul this, but I haven’t had a chance for measurements and I can’t find any plans online. If you don’t mind me asking How tall is the tail, how long nose to tail, and width with the wings off. I’ve been wanting a trailer forever. I may get one sooner than expected.

Last edited by spitfire66; 01-28-2022 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:41 AM
samparfitt

Originally Posted by spitfire66
I have a Toyota Sienna van that I think is big enough to haul this, but I haven’t had a chance for measurements and I can’t find any plans online. If you don’t mind me asking How tall is the tail, how long nose to tail, and width with the wings off. I’ve been wanting a trailer forever. I may get one sooner than expected.
Yes, Veritec has my plane. The plane has a lot of extra details; ie, full cockpits, functioning doors, clam shell bomb bay doors, etc so all those 'bells and whistles' add to the weight. Most builders don't add a lot of detail so your plane is, probably, lighter. As a rule, I never fly any of my twins unless I have an 800' runway or more. It would be best to ask your previous owner how his flies. One thing one has to remember are the wings are more like a P-38's and not a B-25 so one needs to watch your speed.
Sam

Old 03-30-2022, 07:18 AM
spitfire66

I picked up my b-26 yesterday. It has g23’s, yes twenty three’s! I am going to rework the airplane after I finish my mustang and Corsair so it will be awhile. I ordered new cowls for it this morning. It weighs in a 35 lbs. The builder put flite metal directly on the balsa so I haven’t figured out what I want to do there to repair wrinkles. I may cut those areas out, fiberglass, and reapply flite metal. It will give a raised panel line look. I am anxious to see how the fm pulls from raw balsa. Either way it’s a project.

I am thinking VVRC 35’s right now but I may go bigger in the future. I won’t get to this plane until next fall. Jerry bates recommended 30cc+. I have beilas 4 blade 16x8’s. I’m not a fan of the beila performance, but they look good. I’ll probably text the 35cc with these props. 6,000 feet elevation. We will see what they can do.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:16 PM
spitfire66

I finally got around to my marauder. I’m going to be selling never run (?) g23’s and 16x8 Biela 4 blades that are also brand new and never drilled. My plane weighs exactly 35 pounds, and at 6,000 feet I need power. I’ve decided on for 55 ra’s with shorter Dle 30 standoffs. This will require the carb to be recessed into the firewall. The structure looks well built. The current fuel tank is 16 oz. Plenty of room for 24 oz. To keep with the scale looks of a marauder I’m going with Biela 4 blades. The 16x8 look good but are too small. I’m going to get the 17.3x8. I have plenty of experience around Biela to know they require a LOT of power and are still not that efficient. Couple that with 6,000 feet and a hot day performance would be bad. I’m going to have a telemetry rpm warning to throttle back not to exceed 7,000 rpm. For now that’s the plan, now I just need time!

The following users liked this post:
apereira (10-13-2023)