Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Gene Barton P-51B

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gene Barton P-51B

Now thats another beautiful model of P-51B....how is this model compared to Nosen P-51Bs diementions wise.?

Howcome you sheeted the cores with balsa instead of glassing them directly over the foam with epoxy resin as i did with my Constellation model.

I like to get traced out cockpit frames of your model if possible if this and Nosen are same or close enough in scale....
Old 10-15-2011, 01:09 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny thing, Gene Barton stopped by the house last night , he was visiting LA since he left 10 years ago. We had a good time talking about the stang for a bit, told him I lost mine during a very hard high speed turn. Careful with those he says and keep the speed up on landing. I was fortunate mine was around 18lbs so not a big issue on landing. You gonna add the flap? almost a must for this bird.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Did a little mock up of the revolution 50,, Fit completely withing the cowl area,, I may have to just go ahead and use it,, I could always throttle back
That is a wonderful looking engine with the long crank shaft and sloped back spark plug. I will have to look into the specs and do some reading.
Good luck with the build.

Brad
Old 10-15-2011, 05:00 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Now thats another beautiful model of P-51B....how is this model compared to Nosen P-51Bs diementions wise.?

Howcome you sheeted the cores with balsa instead of glassing them directly over the foam with epoxy resin as i did with my Constellation model.

I like to get traced out cockpit frames of your model if possible if this and Nosen are same or close enough in scale....
I'm pretty sure this is much smaller than the Nosen,, it only 79.5" span,,

Sheeting with balsa is a well proven technique, it adds strength and stiffness, you'd have to add a lot of glass cloth to achieve the same result,, I've never tried that
Old 10-15-2011, 05:07 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: fw190

Funny thing, Gene Barton stopped by the house last night , he was visiting LA since he left 10 years ago. We had a good time talking about the stang for a bit, told him I lost mine during a very hard high speed turn. Careful with those he says and keep the speed up on landing. I was fortunate mine was around 18lbs so not a big issue on landing. You gonna add the flap? almost a must for this bird.
I do plan to use Flaps,,

I wonder was he out for the USRA event too? I sent him a check for a spinner for this plane, based on an email he sent me, he had made it up before I'd even sent the check,
Old 10-15-2011, 05:15 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

Did a little mock up of the revolution 50,, Fit completely withing the cowl area,, I may have to just go ahead and use it,, I could always throttle back
That is a wonderful looking engine with the long crank shaft and sloped back spark plug. I will have to look into the specs and do some reading.
Good luck with the build.

Brad
Brad,
It amazed me how perfectly if fits within the cowl, it's as if it was designed for a Mustang,, maybe it was?

Thanks,

Some crappy weather is moving through,,, I should have time to work on it this weekend
Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Vic,

Apparently Gene just finished up a big OV-10 Bronco and was thinking of coming to our One Eighth event next weekend. You should come too!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:29 PM
fw190

Hi Chad, Yes Gene is to come to the event, he told me. I also know a few others that was planning on going, I just cant see myself being on the road again for a bit. Maybe next year it is Chino Scale Fly, then Colorado and then the One Eight. The Castle event is great but the 3D ships seems to be taking over that event, less and less warbirds each year.

Tom, Gene told me he stocks the cones on 5"-6" mustang spinner. The good thing is that he can make the diameter any size in between.
And sorry Tom we don't have crappy weather here as you know!

Brad, I seem to find any couriers that is reasonable to ship to Australia. For some crazy insane reason, the cost for shipping a big box to Australia is nearly the same for me to fly there? What is up with these couriers???
Old 10-15-2011, 12:40 PM
scale only 4 me

Yeah,, Vic I do know [:@],,, approaching winter #7,,, No, they don't get easier,,, only 3 more before my youngest graduates high school
Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 PM
fw190

Tom, I feel for you! I thought you were going to respond like Gene, I asked him isn't it really cold in Missouri? He said 'Man I love it there', I did not respond, but inside my Islander skin had chills! [X(]. Umm great of you to take those kids in and hurry back so we can do some warbird flying.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Props4ever

I'm pretty sure this is much smaller than the Nosen,, it only 79.5'' span,,

Sheeting with balsa is a well proven technique, it adds strength and stiffness, you'd have to add a lot of glass cloth to achieve the same result,, I've never tried that
i USED 4oz AND 6oz WEAVE CLOTH WITH EPOXY RESIN TO GLASS WING CORES OF MY S CONNIE, i got all the strength i need and more actually.

Even if yours is 80" WS models, can you trace out the cockpit frames on paper for me, this way i will have right profile of the frames to make bigger ones for my Nosen Mustang.

If u can then i'll PM you my address and thanks alot in advance...
Old 10-18-2011, 07:57 AM
scale only 4 me

Tom, I feel for you! I thought you were going to respond like Gene, I asked him isn't it really cold in Missouri? He said 'Man I love it there', I did not respond, but inside my Islander skin had chills! [X(]. Umm great of you to take those kids in and hurry back so we can do some warbird flying.
Well Vic,, I love it here too,,

I know it's hard to understand but it's more than just the weather,, it's the quality of life,, you need to look at the big picture,, as much as I miss the perfect So Cal weather and all my friends back there I don't think I could live in the LA basin again. I don't miss that high stress atmosphere at all. If we did move back I'm not sure where we would settle.

I'm coming back out for X-mas this year,, maybe I'll see ya at the basin, I always like spending a few hours there whether I have a plane or not

Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 AM
scale only 4 me

i USED 4oz AND 6oz WEAVE CLOTH WITH EPOXY RESIN TO GLASS WING CORES OF MY S CONNIE, i got all the strength i need and more actually.

Even if yours is 80'' WS models, can you trace out the cockpit frames on paper for me, this way i will have right profile of the frames to make bigger ones for my Nosen Mustang.

Hum.... Interesting technique

I scanned the side/top window tracing for ya,, if you need anything else LMK,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59398.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1675909  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Zx70075.pdf (17.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Props4ever

[quote]ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Even if yours is 80'' WS models, can you trace out the cockpit frames on paper for me, this way i will have right profile of the frames to make bigger ones for my Nosen Mustang.

Hum.... Interesting technique

I scanned the side/top window tracing for ya,, if you need anything else LMK,

Thanks alot Sir, i will let you know if i need anymore help or not.

Here is something for you to enjoy as well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJX1BTHbRI [/youtube]

Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Props4ever

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJX1BTHbRI[/youtube]
Old 02-15-2012, 07:04 AM
scale only 4 me

Quick up date,

My CA xmas trip + remodeling my Kitchen + refurbishing my Kingfisher put this project on hold. But I have made a little progress hinging the ailerons/flaps,, started working on the Stab too.

I searched and searched, but can't locate the Cores for the Vertical Fin,, I guess I'll have to fabricate that.

I see now I mad a mistake not placing the retract gear mounts in before I sheeted the wing,, Oh well, this won't be the first time I've retrofitted a wing.

A few pics

Name:	Lj23726.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	1727334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27137.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	1727335  
Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 AM
scale only 4 me

I took another break, or got distracted, to fix an [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10620644/tm.htm]ARF 50cc Pitts I crashed last summer[/link],, I almost broke out another CMP Zero kit, but I'm going to fight my ADD and finish this one

Cut in the retracts, gotta love gorilla glue, and started in on the flap and aileron hatches

Name:	Ec89583.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	1735619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92353.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	1735620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58677.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	1735621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83294.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	1735622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65598.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	1735623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66266.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	1735624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr24661.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	1735625  
Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Flier101
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Mold

Any one have the outer foam cores for the wings> I just bought one of these and it is missing the right lower mold. Also any one have a pattern for the bulkheads in this plane? Please reply to [email protected]