Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Moki 215 help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:58 PM
wingstrut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki 215 help

Gentlemen, Thanks for all the info that you have given, it really has helped me put together a maintenance program for my 215. I have not run the engine yet I hope to get my 33% AMR Waco finished next year.
The maufacturer test ran the engine with a 32/18 and a 30-1 oil mix but the recommended mix from my instructions is 50/1, that doesn't sound correct after reading this forum.
I have a tendency to go toward the 30-1 mix.
The Waco is a high drag aircraft compared to a P-47 so I'm not sure which prop would be best, I agree with Mick about loading the engine instead of reving it up too high, but if you load it too much it will over heat.
Boy Isn't this hobby fun!...
I was told to run a 32/12 prop for break-in, does this sound about right to you guys?
I have thought about drilling the exhaust header nuts and using safety wire to keep the nuts from loosening up, but it sounds like using silicone and loctite may work also.
I hope to add info to this thread as my experience increases, I have dreamed for over 50 years someday I would see radial engines in r/c aircraft, I never dreamed I would have one.
Thanks to Scott for starting the care and maintenance of the Moki and to all the fellows who have contributed invaluable info, we owe you guys........Ron
Old 12-20-2011, 12:24 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Moki 215 help

Ron, firstly run it at 50:1, 30 will almost certainly carbon up the valve stems and lead to valves sticking. I would run a 34x12 propeller on a large bi-plane and lastly it’s a waste of time wiring the exhaust nuts, it’s not the nut coming loose rather the PTFE gasket inside deforming rendering the nut loose. The amount of deformation of the gasket ring is proportional to the exhaust temperature, I recommend you just keep tightening them up, they only need to be “nipped” don’t wind them down with a big spanner! Sorry, wrench!

m
Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 AM
wingstrut

Thank you Mick15, I really appreciate the information, I am so excited about this engine, just don't want to mess it up.
Mick I know what you mean when you say spanner.
I watched the video that you had in Scott Prossens forum, that has to be the best, most powerful and smoothest engine I have ever heard.
You have it figured out..................Thank you again........Ron
Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 AM
mick15

Pleased to help
Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 AM
wingstrut

Mick15, May I ask you a couple of more questions?
Are you using a Turbulator and or electric fuel pump on your Moki and will the engine benefit from these.?
Should I use more oil on the break-in before I go to 50/1 mix?

Thank you for being so generous with your time and wisdom..............Ron

[i]Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM
mick15

Hi Ron, you too have a great Christmas and a prosperous new year.

I don’t personally use a turbulator though I can understand how there may be a benefit.

Ever since my first 215 which is running strong today (check out video) I have used a fuel pump and disconnect the pulse generator. My fuel pump is a Cat turbine pump running off a cheap speed controller mixed to the throttle channel, I can vary this mix with a rotary control giving me a degree of “in flight” mixture control. The pump is plumbed with the normal 4mm neoprene tubing added to this is a length of 3mm loop about 12 to 14cm long between the inlet and outlet pipes. Mix needles are set L one and a quarter turns, H one and a half.

I recommend 50:1 oil mix (Stihl 2T) I have never run an engine in in my life!

Regards m

http://youtu.be/nzyQJfkOKtY