Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Bomber field hotels

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Bomber field hotels

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 04:36 AM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bomber field hotels

What hotels are close to bomber field in Houston. Where are you staying jeff,evan and New Orleans.??
Brian
Old 08-26-2003, 05:25 AM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Default hotels

Brian, I'm staying at the Best Western in Sealy. Its about 10-15 min from bomber field. Bob Neider from American Eagle is staying there also. Here is the info:
Best Western Inn: (800) 528-1234 or (979) 885-3707
2107 Hwy 36 South - Sealy, TX
Other hotels are available on the bomber field page:
http://bomberfield.sytes.net/
See ya there
Evan Q.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:55 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

Evan:
What day will you arrive?
Brian
Old 08-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Rocketeer10

If you go to the event... Do not... repeat, do not stay at the Executive Inn!!!! Sound like a nice place, but it is located right next to the highway and a truck stop! it's cheap enough but if you want to sleep, forget it!
GY
Old 08-26-2003, 02:40 PM
fw190d9

Default arrival

Brian, I plan to get there on Thrusday the 18th. Probably sometime in the afternoon. I will go direct to the field and check into the hotel in the evening. I have stayed there before and its a decent hotel. I agree with Gerryy, the executive inn is a dump. You dont wanna stay there. The Best western is worth the extra 5-10 min of drive time.
Evan Q.
Call me if you need more info:
956-251-8141
Old 08-27-2003, 12:25 AM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

Default Bomber Field Motel

Snake Stuka and myself also got reservations at the Best Western in Sealy. Bob Buckbee (CD) suggested this over the other's.
We may be arriving that Tuesday, leaving South Florida Monday afternoon (1420 miles).

Bringing along 2 Ziroli Stukas, a Meister P-47, Ziroli Zero and a Ziroli Skyraider. Don't think we'll be bored with this arsenal.

Hope the weather is favorable!

Nick
Old 08-27-2003, 12:50 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 109 Flow Yet?

Hi Evan:

Good to see the 109's done. You've done well. Are you bringing your docs with you to BF? Have you flown the 109 yet? Know its something you have resisted...
Old 08-27-2003, 01:04 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Brian....we are stying in Brookshire. I can get you the hotle name if you want. I have it at work.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:12 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also a "Holiday Inn Express" in Sealy that is pretty decent. I have stayed there several times.

Going to do the RV thing again this year.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:01 AM
thunderbolt-RCU

I plan to bring my Ziroli P-40. It has an inline 80 twin with live exhausts. I am going to the Scale Masters the next week with my contest KI-61 Tony. I may bring my fiberclassics Spit with the 120 inline 3W if it is ready,.
Brian
Old 08-27-2003, 04:11 AM
fw190d9

Default 109

Ed, The 109 is close. I'm finishing up detailing the landing gear and then Ive got to install all the servos and balance it. I may have to do my test flight at bomber on thursday if I dont get the chance before then. I'll bring along all the docs I have although I havent consolidated them into a binder yet. See ya there
Evan Q.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:31 AM
FliteMetal

Default 109

Its actually good that you've not pulled them to a binder yet. I need to see more than one 3VU. Do you have a MAP 3VU from Schiffer? Look forward to grazing through what you've collected.

Waiting until Thursday may not be all that bad. Only concern I have is that you've cycled the gear enough to get it beyond "new". You've got plenty of time:^)
Old 09-04-2003, 08:12 PM
hobbynerd

Brian The Bestwestern Inn in sealy is the BEST !!!!!!!!!
Gary. P.S. see you at the field.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:56 PM
SAPropbuster
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Bomber field hotels

Hey, FW190D9....
Was that YOUR 190 that went in on Saturday?

Made one heck of a 'THWACK' abd alomost took out that Huisach tree...

If it was, I am sorry...
Wonder what went wrong....acted like the alierons were backwards....Lift off...attempt to turn into the pattern/wind (right bank) rolled to LEFT and BANG!!!!
Old 09-21-2003, 05:02 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Ok you Bomber Field guys, gimme pictures and narratives.
Evo, say it wasnt so!
Ray
[link=http://airrayinc.com/r_o_t_g__03a.htm]Rally of the Giants West 03[/link]
Old 09-21-2003, 05:08 PM
FliteMetal

Evan made a post in RCScaleBuilder this morning...but said nothing about a mishap. It may have been the other one from American Eagle.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:28 PM
fw190d9

Yes, Its true, The 109 went in after snap rolling on takeoff. Damage is severe and she is in intensive care at the moment. More details to come when the next of kin is no so emotionally overcome
Evan Q.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:08 PM
FliteMetal

Sorry to hear you plowed the north end...
http://www.norwich.net/~pstrany/ocw/apg/photo01.jpg
Old 09-21-2003, 09:37 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

One man's opinion:
Bonnie and I got there Thursday night with Bruno and Doug from Denver. I flew the P-40 four times on Friday. Beautiful weather, grate guys and loads of magnificent planes.
Saturday was another story. I waited to get the frequency until 11Am when the flight line was shut down for two hours. I was OK with the bomber flights, the twin flights and the Stuks, however to shut the field down for a flying witch, lawn mower and some guy doing three IMAC demos was too much. Blain The Plane was given three 20 min demos for the hovering Edge. I was able to fly once during the meet on Saturday and once after 5PM. I wonder what the response would be if we asked the Jet guys or the IMAC guys if we could shut down the field for two hous for a noon time demo of warbirds at one of their meets?
It is a long drive from Denver to get to fly one time and watch a witch fly.
Sunday got rained out.

Evan test flew the 109 on Friday evening. What a magnificent airplane. It was every bit as nice as Pat McCurry's original. It was not just Top Gun quality, but it was capable of placing in the top 5 at Top Gun. Evan is one of those guys with natural flying ability and he is a magnificent builder. What ever he decides to build next will be outstanding.

Don't get me wrong, Bomber Field is a great meet. It is just my opinion that it should be limited to propeller scale planes without the witch, non scale jets, lawn mower and an additional hour of IMAC.
Brian
Old 09-21-2003, 11:52 PM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Brian,
I have been attending Bomber Field since 1994 and I have to agree with you that this event is getting to be a bit fan oriented. The IMAC demonstration, one time, would have been more than enough; but to give this guy 3 demo flights in an 8 hours flying day, when other pilots are waiting to fly, was a bit too much.

I know it pleases the fans, but when it begins to upset the guys that make this event, the pilots, than the focus is going in the wrong direction. I have personally seen enough of the lawn mower, the witch, and the hovering. Last year, this type of activity was held to a bare minimum; however, it looks like "Just plane Blaine" got way too much time for his activities this year. He's a great pilot and I enjoyed watching him for 8 minutes; however, they always take a yard when given an inch and it ended up more like 3 - 15 minute demonstrations rather than the minimum 8 minute demo I was told he was going to give. I was standing in line with you, next up to fly, when we were told the flight line was getting shut down for the Bombers to fly. No problem! Then Just Plane takes off for another demo, then a couple of jets demo, then the Bomber demo, over 45 minutes later, we are still waiting to fly.

I think you are right. This event needs to be turned into a warbird and multi engine event only. Only large scale warbirds or multi engine models of full scale aircraft need to be allowed. Jets should also be allowed, but not sport jets. Only models of real aircraft. I've seen enough Kangaroos.When this event begins to cater to the spectator rather than to the pilots that make it a success, than it will begin to decrease in popularity.

We had a great time, because we arrived on Monday and were able to fly as often as we wanted until Saturday; however, Saturday tempered my enthusiasm and if it would have been repeated on Sunday, I believe many others would have been upset.

Let's hope the powers that be hear the constructive criticism and make the adjustments. It was a judgement call on their part and they are super enough guys that I'm more than willing to give them the opportunity to rethink their decision to allow so many demo flights.

We are off to Navarre Beach for the Rally of Eagles next. That is another nice scale event that is pilot oriented.

Nice meeting a bunch of you guys and enjoyed flying with all of you.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:49 PM
6TAB

HERES MY OPINION, WE ARRIVED THURSDAY, I PROCEEDED TO DAMAGE MY FRIENDS PLANE ON LANDING ( HE ONLY TOOK THE ONE PLANE) AND THE GUYS FROM FLORIDA , WITH MORE SERIOUS PROBLEMS OF THEIR OWN GAVE US ENOUGH MATERIALS TO MAKE A FIELD REPAIR SO HE COULD FLY, THEN THE GUY NEXT TO US IN THE PITS OFFERED US A PART FROM HIS PRACTICE PLANE . WE DIDNT FLY SATURDAY BECAUSE IT WAS CROWDED AND A LOT OF GUYS HAD BEEN WAITING FOR A WHILE TO FLY ,THAT HAD TRAVELED MUCH FURTHER THAN US AND THEN SUNDAY WAS RAINED OUT , BUT WHEN I THINK ABOUT IT ,IT DOESNT GET MUCH BETTER THAN THAT , BEST BUNCH OF FOLKS I HAVE FLOWN WITH , AND I,LL BE BACK AGIN NEXT YEAR BEEN GOING SINCE 97 THANKS FROKM GARY & GARY
Old 09-22-2003, 07:31 PM
hobbynerd

OK Guys,, If you will e-mail them about this weekend they will hear you & it will be
discussed at the next meeting. I agree 2 HOURS is a bit much. No one should wait until 11am to fly. In the past years on Saturday the field is shut down at noon for the fans to walk in the pits and talk to all of us.

Then the Bear will fly and 1 IMAC demo, maybe a jet and the lawn mower. All of this should take just a little over 1 hour not 2. One more IMAC demo around 4 and show end at 6.
This year it must have been someone new with the (Saturday fan oriented book ) I don't think that is going to happen again next year.
If all of us would just e-mail them with are concerns they will change next years fly-in.
Trust me they don't like us to be upset and next year will be better.

I hope to get down to the war bird event in June I have been told it is smaller, more laid back , NO lMAC just warbirds. The guys do a great job and if the ball was droped this year it won't be next year.

I hope all of you will be back next year !!!!
Old 09-22-2003, 07:44 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Can you war bird pilots give me some Infro. on 'Bomber Field' and size minimums aircraft??[sm=cool.gif]
Old 09-23-2003, 09:31 PM
hobbynerd

FAST RICHARD ,,
GO TO WWW.BOMBERFIELD.SYTES.NET/
YOU SHOULD FIND ALL THE INFO YOU WILL NEED ABOUT IT.
THEY SHOULD HAVE THE PHOTOS UP ON THE WEB SITE OF LAST WEEKEND SOON.
THANKS.

GARY ( HOBBYNERD )
Old 09-23-2003, 10:03 PM
FliteMetal

Default RE: Bomber Field Aircraft Size Restrictions

There are no size restrictions to the aircraft flown at Bomber Field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.