Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

spitfire tail fin

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 AM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spitfire tail fin

I have a 1/12th spitfire kit , the tail fin loks very small ,is this common on this model and will it not need to be made a bit larger ,the fin itself?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: spitfire tail fin

ORIGINAL: suzonka

I have a 1/12th spitfire kit , the tail fin loks very small ,is this common on this model and will it not need to be made a bit larger ,the fin itself?
suzonka, the tail section of early Mk Spitfires were actually quite small in area. Some models (RC) are reported to waggle their tails through tight turns and this would be because of this. Have a look at some scale drawings and compare the sizes. You have a 1/12th scale so you could blow up/ expand some drawings to see if there is much difference. By all means, make the tail a bit bigger. Some manufacturers do this to their models to get 'better' flying qualities out of them.

Good luck and enjoy your Spit.

Brad
Old 05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

suzonka, the tail section of early Mk Spitfires were actually quite small in area. Some models (RC) are reported to waggle their tails through tight turns and this would be because of this. Have a look at some scale drawings and compare the sizes. You have a 1/12th scale so you could blow up/ expand some drawings to see if there is much difference. By all means, make the tail a bit bigger. Some manufacturers do this to their models to get 'better' flying qualities out of them.

Brad
Thank you Brad3301
I would appriciate it if you could send me a view of the tail section to my email [email protected]
Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
tdstaf
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad
If its scale why would you change it? I've never had a problem using the scale outline. The real one flew with it.... Manufacturers only do it for inexperinced pilots.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: tdstaf

Brad
If its scale why would you change it? I've never had a problem using the scale outline. The real one flew with it.... Manufacturers only do it for inexperinced pilots.
Yes if it is scale there may be no need to change it. Not knowing the model I was trying to help the gentleman determine if his kit was actually built with a smaller tail than normal. He said it looked small, I said compare it with scale drawings. I did not say "Cut the thing off and start again" !

Brad
Old 05-04-2012, 07:25 PM
tdstaf

Brad,
I only ment that if it's small it's probably scale. And most manufacturers models are drawn incorrectly so they look wrong when they are drawn correctly. If it turns out to be scale he should just leave it.

Tim
Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Brad330l

Brad,
I only ment that if it's small it's probably scale. And most manufacturers models are drawn incorrectly so they look wrong when they are drawn correctly. If it turns out to be scale he should just leave it.

Tim
Tim no worries mate. I might have taken what you said a long the wrong line and I hope you know what I was meaning.
Suzonka, here is a 3 view drawing. Save and have a play in 'Paint' on your computer to get approximate size to compare outlines.

Be sure to report back! Also let us know what kit it is.

Cheers guys,

Brad
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11634.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1758931  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
tdstaf

Brad,

Tim
Tim no worries mate. I might have taken what you said a long the wrong line and I hope you know what I was meaning.
Suzonka, here is a 3 view drawing. Save and have a play in 'Paint' on your computer to get approximate size to compare outlines.

Be sure to report back! Also let us know what kit it is.

Cheers guys,

Brad
No problem....I was probably to blunt.

Yes, what kit is it?