Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM/Lado Retract Fiasco

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM/Lado Retract Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESM/Lado Retract Fiasco

So when my ESM electric retracts all stripped out I was told by Lado that their R666 actuator was a drop-in replacment for the ESM motor so I ordered one at $115 plus shipping. Well it came today and I can see no way in hell this actuator will fit the ESM housing. I've sent an email to Lado, but that will take a while to get striaghtened out.

Has anyone managed to put a Lado actuator in an ESM electric retract housing?

thanks, Steve
Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ESM/Lado Retract Fiasco

they were easy to install I did mine in about a hour, 2 things I did need to do was just slightly open the mounting hole in the actuator housing,really just slip a ever so slightly larger drill bit so the mounting screw would slide through easier,and then I had to cut the trunion slot so the screw goes through and actuates the gear, other than those minor jobs pretty strait forward, post some pics of the problem.

just a post saying it was a fiasco doesn't really define the problem that you are dealing with, this is one reason why magnumrc.com offers installation services, not like it takes all that much skill or anything
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88977.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1760572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11548.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1760573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89632.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1760574  
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM
splais

Well first off these ARE NOT the air retracts. I have the electric retracts. Lado knew that. I sent them pics and measurements. That being said, here are the problems.

1. The lado actuator body is to thick if mounted one way and two skinny (a gap) if mounted the other way in the housing.

2. I assume we need to use the ESM front mount plate for the actuator. But the holes to mount the Lado actuator are upper left and lower right on the motor case. the holes in the ESM plate are at 90 degrees. There is also a small bearing in the plate that doesn't fit all that well around the Lado jack screw.

3. At the rear the lado motor is longer than the ESM and sticks out past the ESM housing about 1/8". On top of that the rear ESM mounting plate does not fit the ESM motor.

If anyone needs more just ask.

PS: Bigtim, on your converted air retracts it looks like you do not even have a front and rear mounting plate. I know the Lado motor has a hole in the rear to mount a screw through; but what holds the front in place? I also just noticed the whole ESM housing is different on the air system then the electric system.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61734.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1760580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78139.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1760581  
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow they look allot different than the air units,any pics of the electric motors from LADO

on my air conversion gear there is only 1 mount for the LADO motor and its at the rear of the retract body at the opposite end from the jack screw pics are always helpful(just noticed you posted some) on mine they only went in one way and were a tight fit, if the elec motor was on its side then there was a big gap like you described its possible you got the wrong motor by mistake it happens
Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 AM
splais

OK, I am working with Christophe at Lado in France. I think we may actually be coming up with a way to replace the ESM electric motor with the lado electric motor. Because of the distance and time difference it takes time. But if this works it is not too difficult to do. Will keep thread updated with results.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:44 AM
juweeltje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and?

i would like to order the esm retracts V2 for a esm f8f... is that a good idea?
@splais : do yoy have the V1 or V2 esm?
and is the problem solved (lado/esm)?