Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Main Gear attch

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:42 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Main Gear attch

Composite arf Corsair Gear Attch blind nut or wood screws.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Main Gear attch

Blind nuts are my choice. Wood screws are ok but compromise the wood in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you call wood screws, over here, i use pozidrive chipboard screws, the things that hold your kitchen together, i make sure they are long enough to go through the mount, screw in, take them out, flood with thin super glue, leave to harden, and put the screws back, i try to use as small a screw as possible, then the event the leg getting ripped out (not happened yet) you can move up to the next screw size, fit theblind nuts, and you name it, it gets ripped out, doing a fair amount of damage, i know one guy who flys a decent size mustang, he uses M4 NYLON bolts
Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Wood screws are just that. Screws for wood. Not sure what your using for an engine, or how heavy your plane will be. We have built two and both are over 60lbs all up. I would NEVER trust my expensive heavy war bird to wood screws in the gear. Wood screws are not hardened like machine screws can be. They don't need to be. And even if they were, you are still depending on the wood for the threads to hold them. Also, being softer metal (Chinese screws are total crap), it is easy to pop the heads off. You don't even need to pull the threads.

You can't count on perfect landings. We are building our 3rd and 4th CARF Corsair and our recommendation is, add more epoxy to both sides of the the mounting rails ( the factory "tooth paste" is not enough, and use hardened machine screws with metal threads (blind nuts) to mount your gear.