Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Yellow Aircraft engine questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Yellow Aircraft engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 AM
spitty

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P-38 Yellow Aircraft engine questions

Hi all,

I can buy a very detailed and beautifull P-38 from a fellow.The empty weight without engines is : 26,5 Pounds !

Then both engines with props and tanks and fuel + little things: 7 Pounds.

Plus, because of the light engines ( each weights 2 Pounds ) maybe 2 / 3 / 4 / pound of noseweight.

I have a question, maybe some of You folks will laugh.

I have 2 brandnew ENYA R 155 fourstrokers available,couldn´t check the revs, but a few here are running 8800-9000 with an APC 18/8.

Do You think that will be okay flying the bird in a scale manner?

Kind regards for Your answers and tips

Spitty
Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: P-38 Yellow Aircraft engine questions

ORIGINAL: spitty

Hi all,

I can buy a very detailed and beautifull P-38 from a fellow.The empty weight without engines is : 26,5 Pounds !

Then both engines with props and tanks and fuel + little things: 7 Pounds.

Plus, because of the light engines ( each weights 2 Pounds ) maybe 2 / 3 / 4 / pound of noseweight.

I have a question, maybe some of You folks will laugh.

I have 2 brandnew ENYA R 155 fourstrokers available,couldn´t check the revs, but a few here are running 8800-9000 with an APC 18/8.

Do You think that will be okay flying the bird in a scale manner?

Kind regards for Your answers and tips

Spitty
I flew one for a few years with YS 140's. Those were a great match for the yellow. Have a video somewhere, I can post a link when I get home if you want.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:42 AM
spitty

Ken, thanks a lot... would be happy about the video...

A few more questions please

- Do You remember the weight ?

- the YS have a lot of Power I think but are also very light

Do You remember the RPM´s and the Propsize ?

Did You need nose balast?

Hope Your plane is alive

Thanks

Andy
Old 05-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope Your plane is alive

Thanks

Andy
I do not understand why everyone is concerned about having to add nose balast. Or tail balast. If you have enough power to fly the plane properly, It has to be blanaced correctly to fly well. Just do what ever you have to do to bring the CG within limits. It's not dead weight. It's required to fly properly. Full scale planes also carry balast to bring the CGTinto limits. Iknow first hand!

Dash
Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

Hope Your plane is alive

Thanks

Andy
I do not understand why everyone is concerned about having to add nose balast. Or tail balast. If you have enough power to fly the plane properly, It has to be blanaced correctly to fly well. Just do what ever you have to do to bring the CG within limits. It's not dead weight. It's required to fly properly. Full scale planes also carry balast to bring the CGT into limits. I know first hand!

Dash
The lighter the wing loading, the better the plane will fly. If you are a full scale pilot, then you of all modelers should understand that. As far as dead weight, why not get usable weight in the form of larger heavier batteries. Using lead steel or other useless means of balancing is what does'nt make sense.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

Hope Your plane is alive

Thanks

Andy
I do not understand why everyone is concerned about having to add nose balast. Or tail balast. If you have enough power to fly the plane properly, It has to be blanaced correctly to fly well. Just do what ever you have to do to bring the CG within limits. It's not dead weight. It's required to fly properly. Full scale planes also carry balast to bring the CGT into limits. I know first hand!

Dash
The lighter the wing loading, the better the plane will fly. If you are a full scale pilot, then you of all modelers should understand that. As far as dead weight, why not get usable weight in the form of larger heavier batteries. Using lead steel or other useless means of balancing is what does'nt make sense.

Not too sure about that Barry. Ever try flying a light Giant warbird like a T6 , ME 109 or a Bear Then fly the same plane with about 5 to 10 pounds heavier and FEEL the difference in flying. Especially on a hot windy day. Try it if you get a chance and then tell me which one felt SOLID in the air and which you had to fight to keep on track. You and all the others that like 3D type warbirds should instead of saying Lighter wing loading fly better, just say you feel better there is a tad less chance you causing a snap from being heavy handed and dozing off at the sticks. A little extra weight makes a man out of you Barry , you know it does..separate the men from the boys.
Now the rest of you quite crying about a few extra pounds and TAKE THEM UP!!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Ken-h

Hope Your plane is alive

Thanks

Andy
The plane is still around as far as I know, was sold last year. It weighed around 35lbs and had 18" props if I remember. RPM's I can't answer but it did have heavy spinners and a little nose weight. Here is one video of it,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KzyrhBfrY8[/youtube]

Here is what I fly now,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho_zLgR2djk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT7i47OFg9U[/youtube]
Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 AM
spitty

Ken, thanks a lot, wow, big boys - big toys, amazing airplane and well flown..

OK , here is the P-38 I fell in love : the 10 th airplane, build from Detlef Kunkel :http://www.rcwarbirds.com/Aircraft/F.../p38page2.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-KT0kTfRb0

Dash, I´m than concerned, when I have a really heavy airplane with not so powerful engines. If everything is like in this case moved forward and You don´t bring the acft into the correct MAC range, You need DEAD WEIGHT. That means, it is weight that only corrects the COG and that is , when You have an heavy acft something what You don´t wanna have.
An heavy airplane flies in windy conditions better and stronger, more like the real one.( more solid as 91-zulu wrote ) But Barry is right :
The lighter the wing loading, the better the plane will fly.

There is a fellow Modeller in GB, he has build 5 ! Spitfires from DB Models. They usually flies with Supertigre 3000 ore similar, and he flew his one with a OS 90 Fourstroker !!! He wrote a manual like this:

Part....: You don´t need it

Part ....: make holes in it

Part ....: Use Balsa instead of spruce..

And so on..

Normaly the DB Spitfires are solid 20 Pounds, his airplanes , the lightest was around 9,5 Pounds !!!!!

His Spitty hasn´t any Problems with noseovers, because of the leight wingloading the COG goes forward. The speed is MUCH more to scalespeed, especially the stallspeed goes down,
so the airplane looks more scale during T/O and Landing.

But back to my question : I think, 40 pounds with 2 x 155 Fourstrokers isn´t the way I should go ....

Any Ideas more than welcome and thanks for the nice replies

Andy

Ken, I saw Your flameout video now the 3.time, really cool how You have bring her home in one piece..
Old 06-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Ken-h

Thanks spitty! So...you think the 155's won't be enough for it? You are already smart enough to keep it light. Don't know about those motors but DA is working on 35cc gas that should weigh-in close to glow 4 strokes. While some have used 50’s, it would not be my choice for it. Won’t see those 35’s until at least the end of the year I’m sure. If the P-38 is at a good price I’d pick it up. The yellow is a good flying little aircraft for sure.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 AM
aerofalcon
My Feedback: (15)

I have seen a DA50 powered Yellow P-38 fly at Warbirds over Delaware 2 years ago, it redefined the term "Hammer Time". That plane's perfomance was Awesome, both at high and low speed. I'm currently building a Yellow P-38 with twin DA-50's. I have flown and still own 3 warbirds with DA-50's for the past 4 years, engine reliability is top notch. I have not experienced any problems with them. The key to flying twins is engine reliability. You lose one engine in flight and things get exciting real fast. I still fly an older KMP P-38 with OS 90 FS's, and i keep those engines babied all the time. So far i've had good performance with them. Good luck with your P-38...
Old 06-01-2012, 02:16 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ken-h

Hope Your plane is alive

Thanks

Andy
The plane is still around as far as I know, was sold last year. It weighed around 35lbs and had 18'' props if I remember. RPM's I can't answer but it did have heavy spinners and a little nose weight. Here is one video of it,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KzyrhBfrY8[/youtube]

Here is what I fly now,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho_zLgR2djk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT7i47OFg9U[/youtube]
I would never use glow engines in a twin no matter how good you can tune them or how good they run. i have to say that was the best recovery of a single engine twin i have ever seen. you did everything right . congrads ... i was standing next to a guy at Joe Nall two years ago when he lost an engine in his yellow 38 . he didn't even have time to pee in his pants and it was over on it's back, in a death spin .
Old 06-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Ken-h

Thank you warbird. Glow is not my first choice as well hence going bigger. There are certain sizes I would stay with glow. I've had several flame outs on 38's but that was the only one caught on tape. I am always ready for an engine out on these and unfortunately I'm usually not enjoying the flight. I do love these thing though.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:18 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Ken,

Have you considered the new DA-35 when they come out? I'm sure it will outperform a G38. It should be a great combination.

Good luck with your plane......

David
Old 06-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Ken-h

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Hey Ken,

Have you considered the new DA-35 when they come out? I'm sure it will outperform a G38. It should be a great combination.

Good luck with your plane......

David
I'm sure DA-35 would be a great choice for the yellow when they are released. I am considering the DA-60 for the big boy, it's currently powered with 50's.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ken
I have built a few of the yellow aircraft p-38's. And most of the ones i built all weighed in around 35 to 38#'s there is just really know way to get them any lighter. the first few where powered with G-38's from zenoha and they flew very respectable with that power on 18X10 three blade props. But i have to say that the last one i built and flew was powered with two DA 50's and that made a whole lot of difference in the way that airplane flew. I don't own it any more as it went to a new home a couple of years ago. But here's some pic's anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68463.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1768915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14084.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1768916