Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

B-17 with 4 Saito engines, Yellow Piper Cub with 2 stroke, flying together.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

B-17 with 4 Saito engines, Yellow Piper Cub with 2 stroke, flying together.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:47 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default B-17 with 4 Saito engines, Yellow Piper Cub with 2 stroke, flying together.

Well, I used to joke about it, but this past weekend (June 2, 2012) I finally saw it: a gorgeous looking B-17 with 4 Saito engines, sharing the skies with a 2 stroke engine powered (make/ size inknown) yellow Piper Cub sharing the skies together at an event that just a few years ago was restricted to warbirds/ aircraft with military markings.

The Yellow Cub took off first, while a giant scale 'Russian' Polikarpov I-16 was flying. The Russain plane promptly landed, while the Cub remained aloft for what seemed like an agonizingly long time. So long, that the B-17 waited patently, engines running and syncned, while the Cub hovered at times (windy day), but patience wore out so the B-17 finally took off, made a couple of passes and a bomb drop run (yes, it had operation bombay doors and bomb drop too) while the Cub pilot still felt he time left.

As stated: it USED to be a warbirds only event, but the name was changed about 2 years ago to "Warbirds and Classics", and we all know that a Cub is a classic. So it had every right to try to upstage the B-17.

Still, the same club still hosts a giant scale scale event, a little later in the year, which is for all practical purposes: this what THIS eevent has become.

Sad, that at least in my area: warbird only events are on the decline. I'm retired now, and have more time for them, but they have become fewer and farther away.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: B-17 with 4 Saito engines, Yellow Piper Cub with 2 stroke, flying together.

I was at the same event. In my opinion, the Cub had every right to be in the air. He wasn't upstaging the B-17. He was exercising his right to fly.

Personally, I'm glad that the event is hooked up with the Warbirds and Classics organization. It brings in aircraft that we would not normally get to see in Michigan. The Russian fighter and the Canadian airliner (Classic/Civilian) are two examples.

Michigan has so few scale events. Why would we want to limit the scale models that can attend ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34483.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	504.9 KB
ID:	1769353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37895.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	535.0 KB
ID:	1769354  
Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: B-17 with 4 Saito engines, Yellow Piper Cub with 2 stroke, flying together.

Yes this seems to be the trend, some Warbird events I have seen change over the years, used to be Warbirds with 80" wing span min except Bi-Planes, then that changed to Warbirds of any size, now the trend is All Scale any size.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:02 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG...

they even let that "Sam" guy fly all of his horrible, big warbirds from out of state!(I hear he gets around)

what has this world come too!?!

oh boy.

Casey
Old 06-05-2012, 05:05 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, "that Sam guy" was there. I talked to him a little. A gentleman, for sure !
Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-05-2012, 09:41 AM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is a Multi-Engined 4-stroke plane ready to fly, FFS, land and watch and listen in awe.

2 stroke cub? Yawn!