Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

remembering D-Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Capt. Winters
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remembering D-Day

As I sit here in Yountville Ca. after a days work, in a town far from my home, the sun beginning to set, I here the faint sounds of radial engines. I'm sitting in my 5th wheel trailer, with acers of vineyards around me to see a B-17 followed by a B-24. For a person who enjoys WWII aviation this is a treat to see. I am remembering all of those men who had thoughts passing through their minds this night 68 years past. They were about to leave their current lives and travel down a road of fear and the uncertain during the "Longest Day". I am only 50, but have had the great honor to meet several WWII vets.( the gentleman that taught me how to fly RC plane was a flight mech. aboard an aircraft carrier during the war) and I can not thank them enough for giving me the ability to live the life I enjoy. I hope any of you who might read this, have had the life after the war that you deserved, filled with life and joy. I am always teaching my 3 sons of the sacrafice those of that generation made. If any of you have a story to share of a vet. please fill free. Thank you all again, Capt. Winters
Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 AM
hydrolazer

Default RE: remembering D-Day

the other day i had the honor to meet two great servicemen. one was a survivor from the attack on pearl harbor and the other served on the aircraft carrier lexington. i personally thanked them for their sacrifices they gave to our country to keep us free....and the stories they told!!!!! it was super great
Old 06-06-2012, 04:33 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My uncle went to Vietnam. His very first combat mission, he jumped off a chopper and headed into the jungle grass. A half hour later, he was bleeding out, with his left leg blown off just above the knee. They amputated all the way up to his hip bone. That was his Vietnam experience....short and loss. He survived, never really talked about it, and died last year of a heart attack at 65. As a friend of mine, who also served in Vietnam, noted to me just last weekend at our flying field: It is too bad those guys (Vietnam) never got their ticker tape parade. From any conflict: If you don't appreciate our vets; what they did for us, this country and the world; who they are, and what they sacrificed and lost, then you really need to re-evaluate who you are as a person. I am grateful and in awe. I have spent my whole life trying to learn as much as I could about history, especially the conflicts.

Jeff
Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
raptureboy

Amen! We all owe our lives to these brave men and women. I just attended the WW2 wkend in Reading Pa. this weekend for my 12th yr, and it never gets old. Meeting some of the last of the Greatest Generation. My dad and his 4 brothers all served. 2 in the Navy and 3 in the Army. The youngest kia just a day after his 19th birthday in Germany barely a month before the end of the war. My mom was an aircraft inspector in Mobile Al. I heard the story of a man who was the ball turret gunner on a B-17 on his first mission when they were hit by a Folke Wulf. Most all were killed in the attack but he managed to get out after the tail snapped off and they plummented down from 25,000 ft. His chute barley opened at less than 1,000 ft. above the ground and he spent the rest of the war as a pow. Here's a few pics.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had two uncles in the war.one was involved in the Battle of the Bulge.The other was a B-29 Bombadier.Miss them both
Old 06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Tailspin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truly the Greatest Generation.

Some photos you might like;

http://life.time.com/history/d-day-rare-color-photos/#1
Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM
naval flight officer

The history of my Grandfathers unit,

http://www.antiaircraft.org/457.htm

He hasn't spoken of it much except enough to lead me to the site above. I don't think, unless you were there, you can really appreciate what the men went through on that day.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 PM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife and I attended the 70th Doolittle Raiders Reunion last April. Here's a short video of a couple of unsung WWII Hero's that we had the honor of meeting. My tribute to the Greatest Generation.

http://youtu.be/T4APmtCwk8c
Old 06-07-2012, 03:52 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Here is something that sticks with me:

We often hear and use the term greatest generation, me as well, referring to the WWII generation. Then, I was watching a program that Tom Brokaw was hosting. He made a statment that I perked up to, and had not ever really thought of in that way:

With some editing as my memory is not 100% on it: "........each generation of people that go off to, and sacrifice through, any conflict, is the greatest generation of their time"

This includes the Iraq and Afghanistan troops, past and present.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 AM
raptureboy

Well here are the pics I tried to send yesterday. They are too big to send more than 1or 2at a time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69893.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1770026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87549.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1770027  
Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Specifically remembering D Day it is interesting to recall the roll of the U.S. Navy destroyers in supporting the pinned down troops during the early hours. See the following link for
more info: http://www.agtimes.com/boards/viewto...bbbbe23c6fa241

This is also supported by an article on D-Day in Natural Geographic that specifically credited the 4 destroyers moving within 1/2 mile of the shoreline to open fire on the defending Germans.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:31 PM
prop wash

How can we not honor those that have given so much? Thank God and those that have defended this great nation and continue to do so.No one gave us this great nation,except those that have served.God please continue to bless this nation.
Tom USMC [retired].Pray for our military.