Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P-51D ARF, How is it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite P-51D ARF, How is it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Top Flite P-51D ARF, How is it?

I gave up trying to run the DLE20 on the Dewey, too much power, even though its a big plane. The other suggested planes that can handle the motor are discontinued except for one, and I dont like the looks of it. If I dont like how it looks, I wont like flying it. So I thought, well the who reason I got this motor is to put in the P-51 I am building, but its a scale plane with a LOT of work going into it, and I want to make 100% sure the engine wont be a problem when I maiden it, so I am going to fly it on another lower end plane until the Stang is ready.

So, thought about the Hanger 9 Blue Nose, read it has issues, some people have none, others its a handful. Some replaced the H9 with the Top Flite. Price is about the same between the two, and since the one I am building is the same scale, it would be perfect to get.

So with the DLE20 in it, how has it held up? Any problem with the stock retracts? I will be flying off grass with it. Is there an alternate muffler I should use? And will the S3004 Servos be sufficient?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite P-51D ARF, How is it?

ORIGINAL: acdii

I gave up trying to run the DLE20 on the Dewey, too much power, even though its a big plane. The other suggested planes that can handle the motor are discontinued except for one, and I dont like the looks of it. If I dont like how it looks, I wont like flying it. So I thought, well the who reason I got this motor is to put in the P-51 I am building, but its a scale plane with a LOT of work going into it, and I want to make 100% sure the engine wont be a problem when I maiden it, so I am going to fly it on another lower end plane until the Stang is ready.

So, thought about the Hanger 9 Blue Nose, read it has issues, some people have none, others its a handful. Some replaced the H9 with the Top Flite. Price is about the same between the two, and since the one I am building is the same scale, it would be perfect to get.

So with the DLE20 in it, how has it held up? Any problem with the stock retracts? I will be flying off grass with it. Is there an alternate muffler I should use? And will the S3004 Servos be sufficient?
acdii, your questions can be answered by reading through the thread on the TF P-51D; DLE20 installation info can be found on page 79.

Roger

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7520206/tm.htm
Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Isearched for like 30 minutes and didnt see that thread, the search function stinks.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had similar experiences with the search engine here.

Brian

Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roger posted it, above, but here it is again:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7520206/tm.htm

The TF P-51 60ARF is the first Mustang I've had that lasted more than a season. It has no bad habits and is a great performer with power at least equivalent to a 95 two stroke.

Only a few tips:
1. They build nose heavy. Keep your engine and muffler as light as possible, and plan to mount the pack near the tailwheel. This bird handles the best when the CG (gear retracted) is right on the aft recommended limit. Anything forward of that and they are hard to slow down for landing and nose over a lot.

2. Included retracts are junk. Get the Robart heavy duty 85 degree mechanicals. Open up the wing sheeting above the landing gear rails and fillet everything with a mixture of epoxy and milled fiberglass. One medium landing with the stock setup and the gear will rip out of the wing.

3. Put about 1/8" down elevator trim in for the first flight, or you'll be chasing a nose high situation right at TO.

4. Ignore the instructions on flap travel, and fiddle the hinges to get all you can, then use it on landing. With max flap travel, the nose actually drops a little (like a full size aircraft) and landings are a cake walk. Just remember to carry a little power to just before touchdown. With max flap, you can ignore the instructions about flap/elevator mix.

5. I put counter torque weighting in the right wingtip on mine (twice the engine displacement in oz, or 2oz) and it eliminated any tendency to snap left under sudden power application at low speeds, or on takeoff if she gets airborne too soon due to bumps.

Great model. One of the best.