Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 150 p51

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 09:43 PM
Ken Bridges
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 150 p51

I just finished H9 150 p51 last week. I have 10 flights on it. I had to change the retracts to pneumatic spring air with robostruts. This combination is just great.
The engine I used is a BME 50cc. I am using a three blade prop from zinger with a 5 inch spinner also from zinger.
This plane is awesome. I love it. Flys like a real warbird.
Check my gallery. Will try to post some pictures.
- Ken
Old 09-05-2003, 06:58 PM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hangar 9 150 p51

Ken,

I have this plane on order...

Did you try flying with the mechanical retracts provided? Or did you just decide to go with pneumatics right off the bat. What swayed you to change to pneumatics.

Oriole
Old 09-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Ken Bridges

Default Hangar 9 150 p51

I tried the retracts that were provided and found them to be weak and unsteady on both take off and landing. I called Horizon to complain and I found out that the lateral wobble could be reduced by opening the set screw on the retracts. This information was not explained in the intructions. But was very helpful.
In this plane if you don't have a good set of retracts you will nose over more often then not breaking a prop.
I had already purchased two retract servos ( $90 Hitec) The wire struts are made of weak material, they even bend on takeoff, preventing them from fitting into the wheel well. I fly on grass.
I wish I had an option from the beginning I would have saved money on the retract servos and just bought the pneumatics.
The plane is a great plane, I wouldn't trade it now for the world.
The spring air retracts with the robart struts perfect combination. Solid landings, very impressive.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:26 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hangar 9 150 p51

Thanks Ken.

Did you use the #704 Spring Air Retracts? If so, does it come with Struts?

Oriole
Old 09-17-2003, 10:50 PM
LBECKWITH

Ken: I have been undecided on the retracts for my 150 size H9 P-51. The wires bend on take off and good landingson a very smooth grass field. I prefer to stay with mechanicals if I can. I have taken all the wobble out of the retracts but the wires are too soft. I tried heat treating them with an oil quench. It made them brittle and one of the wires snapped. No plane damage, however. I have zero experience with pneumatics and I don't want to hack up my plane to retrofit if I can avoid it. I am not a skilled builder. I have only built one simple kit and repaired a few crashed planes. Does anyone make good .20 wire to make better struts out of or do you know of anyone that has been able to modify oleo struts that would fit into the mechanicals supplied?? I have a lathe and milling machine. Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:55 PM
LBECKWITH

I got some new information. A company in Canada is making replacement struts with springs that fit into the existing mechanical retracts. I ordered a pair and won't get to fly them until after 10-1. I will post info then. Also, talked to Horizon today and it seems they are about ready to take orders for titanium replacement wire struts but there is some concern they may be so stiff as to potentially cause damage to the retract mounting rails on a very firm landing.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Ken Bridges

Yes, I used the spring air retracts # 704 and the robostruts 440 series # 660. I soldered all the joints instead of set screws. I believe that Spring Air is now supplying the oleo struts as a complete set. This landing gear requires no building expertise. Very simple. It works so well that I recently put this landing gear with smaller oleos in my p51 .60 plane. Extremely nice. Very nice planes H9 p51 .60 & 1.50. You must have strong landing gear to land with confidence. Not excuses.
- Ken
Old 03-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

where can I get a zinger prop and spinner for this plane

Thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Stallion_51
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Ken, congrats on the new 'Stang!

We just received ours yesterday and we were very surprised to see all the work that H9 has done.

We looked at the retracts and were also surprised to see that they look okay, but now your post has me a little concerned. We'll probalby use the H9 retracts on the asphalt runway and assess them after a couple flights. We're getting ready for a warbird event in a couple weeks.

I ordered the 'Stang from Chief with the Grim Reaper decal set to be a little different than the Marie scheme. We also have a TF Giant P-51 kit plane (check gallery) done in the Big Beautiful Doll scheme.

Looking forward to your pics. I'll post some also as we get working on ours.

EDIT: I forgot to add that we're using a YS-140FZ for power in the H9. Has anyone used the YS for power on one of these yet?