Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron Corsair Gear doors from Byron

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron Corsair Gear doors from Byron

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Byron Corsair Gear doors from Byron

how many of you guys remember when byron offered a corsair gear door kit for their corsair. i used to have an add for them but have long since misplaced it. I've seen a few guys make them but the lower strut is always exposed because they have to make a hole for it in order for the doors to fully close. i make all my gear doors from aluminum . i'm going to try this on the corsair i'm building too. i'm modifying the landing gear area so i should be able to pull it off. As i stands, byron has you build the retracts into the plane during Assembly... bad idea . so if you've had success with your doors,chime in. i'd like to hear about it WB_1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86716.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1797585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62084.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1797586  
Old 09-02-2012, 01:03 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Byron Corsair Gear doors from Byron

I honestly do not remember ever seeing an advertisement for a gear door kit for the Corsair from Byron. Not saying they didn't have one, just after owning two Byron Corsair kits over the years , one back when Byron was in business, I do not remember any door system offering.

That aside, I will say you have the wrong retracts if you wish to enclose the wheel in the wings with gear doors. You have the 150 gear which are more accurate for a P-40/Hellcat. The 150B has the correct lower strut for the corsair. It offsets the axle to the outboard side of the strut a few degrees and helps the strut to clear the lower wing skin. Enclosing the units you have will be you if not impossible. I would call Robart and see if they can change out the lower strut to the correct ones.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:32 PM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: John Redman

I honestly do not remember ever seeing an advertisement for a gear door kit for the Corsair from Byron. Not saying they didn't have one, just after owning two Byron Corsair kits over the years , one back when Byron was in business, I do not remember any door system offering.

That aside, I will say you have the wrong retracts if you wish to enclose the wheel in the wings with gear doors. You have the 150 gear which are more accurate for a P-40/Hellcat. The 150B has the correct lower strut for the corsair. It offsets the axle to the outboard side of the strut a few degrees and helps the strut to clear the lower wing skin. Enclosing the units you have will be you if not impossible. I would call Robart and see if they can change out the lower strut to the correct ones.
thanks john . yea they sure did offer the doors ,but it was a long time ago. i haven't seen anything about them since. if my memory serves me correct , the door kit offer was in with some byron paper work with a corsair kit i bought from someone. the kit was old . i don't know why it was discontinued . i wish i could find it as i know it's rare and kinda cool. as far as the strut goes.. you'd have to replace both upper and lower struts as the lower strut is longer and just replacing that would make them unusable , but i did think about doing it.
One thing that i'm considering doing if i can get the parts is to convert the gear over to 90 degree instead of 100 degree. for some reason,byron adds an extra 5 degrees to their rake on the gear. i just did a mod on my AT-6 and turned into a dream to land . turned the plane into a completely different plane. my old byron corsair suffered from the same problem as the t-6 . the nasty bounce. so i'm thinking about reducing the rake and getting the gear closer to the CG.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90900.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1797616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71350.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1797617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99405.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1797618  
Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting on the paper work. I wonder if it was something they were trying but it never worked out. Never saw a gear door kit on any factory models at Aviation Expo back in the 1980's or on any trade show models. Either way, I would be very surprised if you found one. Good luck.

As for the gear, as yours appear to be new; I am confident you could return to Robart and they would switch them over at no cost.

As for the rake of 95 degrees, changing that will take some new side frames to relocate the pivot point. I believe all the rotator's are set at either 95 or 100 degrees from Robart. Would be interesting to hear how the change goes on that.

Good luck on the project.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:35 AM
warbird_1

i was hoping they offered a shorter set of lift yokes . i see the 150 HD's only go 90 degrees . maybe the lift yokes off them would work. I'll have to give them a call Tuesday.
on the paper work stuff..... this is why i posted here just for kicks to see if anyone else remembers seeing the add. i know the fuse was molded to accept doors or it at least looks like it .