Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Corsair 50 and EFlite 100 degree retracts..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corsair 50 and EFlite 100 degree retracts..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:13 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Corsair 50 and EFlite 100 degree retracts..

OK, I've maidened the Hangar9 50 size Corsair and had it out for it's 2nd outing too. It's an excellent flying model. Flies with only one warbird trait, lousy rudder coupling. I have not got the least bit of problem with that at all. They weren't building competition aerobatic planes back then, just killing machines. This one is a killer.

I gotta admit one big reason for doing the model was because it has 100 degree retracts pretty much designed for it and I am on a mission to find decent 100degree retracts. So what do I think of the model? Excellent design and very well manufactured. Mine turned out 6 ounces under the predicted max weight of 8 pounds. That's with a 22 ounce LiPo battery in it. Not too shabby. My "big" 60 size H9 Corsair with an OS90 in it weighs just 7lb 14oz. Pretty good models, both of them.

H9 recommends their EFlite 46 motor for the sucker. I saw their EFlite 55 motor in the display case when I was picking up the kit and figured it'd be a better match. It isn't. It's not a match at all. more on that sometime in the future

I wound up putting a RimFire 60 in the model and it's excellent. A CastleCreations 75 ESC also is a great match for both the plane and motor. It turns out the space for a battery limits any LiPo(s) you want to stick in there to 5 cells. I figured to go with around a 4000 mAh, but could only find a 5000 mAh 5S when it was time to spend the money. It uses up all the available thickness space in the sucker. Lengthwise, there was room to move it fore and aft until the CG was in range. I've only had the plane out for two sessions, but the present CG location and the 100 degree footprints work well.

The suggested throws work, but I've had to reduce the elevator throw significantly. That tells you the CG is far enough back to make the elevator sensitive enough. Inverted doesn't take much elevator and that says the same thing. It will still put the wing under plenty of load when you pull or push the right stick. It's actually not really scale how good it'll turn. Not a problem at all.

The maiden flight was in windy, blustery conditions. It was a bit hard to tell if it really needed any trim for level flight, but that wasn't a problem either. If goes where you point it. It also is fast with the MA 3-blade on it. In fact, it won't decelerate very fast at all. Not the fault of the motor or prop. It's a clean bird and the ESC soft shutdown doesn't get any braking out of the prop. It's time to see if I can get some of that programming the ESC.

Like I said the maiden was a windy day. I aborted on final a couple of times thanks to the 'vertical displacement' that happened just coming over the threshold. [X(] The final final for the day found me a touch high (you would have been as well if you'd been flying the previous 'somewhat bumpy' approaches). [>:] So touchdown was about halfway down our long grass runway. The 100degree gear did what they are good at. The rollout was nice. A little long, but tail high for a bit, a nice settling of the tail and some roll. The roll ended up with the wheels rolling into the 'safety grass' enough that she did a slow tip up onto her nose. There was a nice round of applause. I think most of it was a relief after the first couple of approaches, but it was a pretty sit down.

Turns out that roll into the grass bent one of the wire gear struts. No lie. I was absolutely, completely amazed. The wheel still went into the well but the ease with which that wire bent, and the fact there is a coil on the strut that should have easily taken up the slowdown told me to take the sucker home and make some wire struts out of good wire. more on that later

It's a good plane. It's second flying session showed that in spades. Unfortunately, that session was only one flight also. The wind that 2nd time out was perfect. The landing also got good applause, and it was for the touchdown. Man, 100degree gear makes these warbirds land like magic. However, both struts bent back right above the d*** shock absorbing coils. [:@] I was so amazed and pissed off I stuck the thing back in the car and flew something that wouldn't add to the disappointment.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 AM
V2rider
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Corsair 50 and EFlite 100 degree retracts..

The struts on these retracts must be a hit or miss thing. I am on my second set of retracts but have never bent a strut wire. After 20-25 flights the original set of retracts started an intermitant thing with only one gear coming down. After a few cycles both would come down. I explained the problem to HH and sent them back. They had a new set at my door in a few days.
I started with the P-46 on 4s turning a 13x8x3 mas. It flew nice and scale with that setup, but I wanted a bit more punch. Went with the P-52 again turning a 13x8x3 prop on 5s now though. Still flys scale if you want but, now has more punch if you want . I have 101 flights on the plane so far. 60 with the P-52. My favorite in the hangar for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLdir...3&feature=plcp
Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 PM
da Rock

Third time out was a charm. It was a beautiful flying day. Just got into the 70s and mild quartering breeze. Got 4 flights in and only had to bend one strut one time.

It handles great on the ground thanks to the 100degree stance. Takeoffs are as long as you'd like. It's a real luxury to not worry about digging the nose in on the roll out. Slowly rolling the throttle in makes the takeoff look far more realistic. The tail doesn't come up until it's flying and the later that is the better the realism. I did a zig-zag taxi out to the numbers, turned and chopped the throttle to one click and she sat there for a second, prop spinning but not enough to roll. Clicked in a couple of clicks to get a roll going. Clicked a couple more. Clicked a couple more and the tail started lifting. Clicked more and..... I gotta say this because it's the right word.... and the tail came up majestically..... no foolin'.... and she went past the guys like she knew how good she looked. Rolled in a couple more clicks and off she came. Straight over the end of the runway in a solid climb and rolled out left and up some more...... I almost forgot to fly the sucker she looked so real.

I've definitely got enough power in the thing. My 60size H9 Corsair will clock over 100, and looks realistic doing it. This 50size does look just a touch smaller, and the speed looks right too. I've cut the low rate elevator down again from the recommended throws, and last flight of the day was with more exponential dialed in too. I've increased the expo twice from my usual setting I'd settled on over the years.

What didn't surprise me was what I've come to expect from Corsair models. She hunts in yaw on straight passes. You gotta know about it and look for it, but it's there. I hear the full scale ones did it at cruise power. kewl

She's a keeper so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45897.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	1814012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21265.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1814013  
Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM
da Rock

OK, looking at the pictures of this model, you'll see at least 2 things.

I've not put all the decals on the sucker yet.

And the cowl looks a lot different, right.

I didn't like the yellow squadron marking. I painted over that with Rustoleum blue. I do like the Checkerboard squadron's checkerboard cowlings, so I put blue and white Ultracoat around the cowl.

She gets another workout tomorrow. I'm looking forward to that.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM
chistech

One thing I've found with all the electric retracts is that the mounting rails have to be exactly level with each other. If they are off even slightly the retract on the uneven rails will develop intermittent operation. I have learned to tighten the mounting screws then back them off just slightly and that has seemed to solve the problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

It looks really good, Rock... looks like you are having fun! I have one in the pile, and will put a Saito .82 in it. I also have a mint Kyosho Corsair, and am trying to decide which one to build first!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: Firepower R/C

It looks really good, Rock... looks like you are having fun! I have one in the pile, and will put a Saito .82 in it. I also have a mint Kyosho Corsair, and am trying to decide which one to build first!
The Saito ought to suit it well.

Never seen a Kyosho Corsair, but you can't go wrong either way.

Here's what mine looked like on the wing. Nope, can't go wrong either way.

Name:	Vt56021.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1814306  
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
da Rock

After most landings today, one strut or the other needed to be pulled back straight.

A buddy of mine is using the same EFlites on an 11 pound H9 Hellcat. (The weight comes from the pair of huge batteries his super huge motor demands.) He has Robart struts on the sucker and they seem to reduce the bending problem. I am strongly considering retrofitting a pair on this Corsair. Man, the hobby can baffle you sometimes. That Hellcat is ~3.5 lbs heavier than the Corsair and ought to be bending the gear just taxiing around. Guess the piano wire pins used by the Robarts are good enough, and the OEM wire struts from H9 that came with my Corsair simply aren't.

I put the Corsair on my scales today. Turns out to be 7 lbs 6 ounces ready to go.

I also got some good data on 'fuel consumption' today too. The 5000 mAh 5S will easily make close to 10 minutes feeding the RimFire 60. What speed it's doing behind that MA 12x6 3-blade is still just a guess. Looks like it could be 100 or more however. It even has a sort of whistle too. Now that's kewl.

Name:	Jh16835.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1814313