Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

WM GS Zero TAIL HEAVY HELP

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

WM GS Zero TAIL HEAVY HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Educol-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WM GS Zero TAIL HEAVY HELP

What size wheels did you buy?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

I'm using 4" Dubro wheels, same size as supplied but much better quality. P.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Countryboy

Had the chance to get over to a friends house today and view his W/M Zero that he is about to complete. He has canned the original wire gear and had Bruce at Century Jet Models develop a set of gear & struts for it.
Those are nice looking gear. I hope they are sturdy enough to handle the weight of this plane.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:15 PM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone put a Saito 170R in this plane yet?? Any flying reports? We have one in the large Kange Monocoupe and it is a fantastic engine. I believe it would be great in my zero Im building but my friend wont let me have his engine for some dumb reason. Guess I may have to buy one and try it but was scheduled to put US41 in her. The radial is a very smooth running engine, would not vibrate like the gasser. Believe it would have good power.
Would like to hear from someone who actualy has this combo.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:55 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

The Saito 170 radial should swing APC 18x6W @ about 8000 rpm. Static thrust is about 15 lb., not too spectacular for a 17lb plane. Definitely won't pull it vertical for too long, ut should fly around at scale speed.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:27 PM
stoat

I think, boys and girls, we are just going to have to get used to taking manufacturers specs with a grain of reality. It seems WM rated this plane at 160 size because that is the size of motor required to fly it with a minimum level of performance. Yes it will require nose weight, just like almost all ARF warbirds. But so what? The plane flys very well at 17 pounds (mine is 18 pounds and has unlimited vertical and a lovely slow landing speed) so WM got their design about right. I am more concerned about the kit manufacturers propensity to use a hot glue to hold in major components like u/c mounting blocks. Sure this glue may indeed be great for quick assembly of a built up airframe and give some joints the required flexibility required things like wing panels, but there are certain components that need solid and durable attachment to the structure. Firewalls and mounting blocks for example. Surely its not too much to ask? Then again, we as builders have a responsibility to ensure our aircraft are up to scratch BEFORE they are flown. If this means slopping some epoxy around during the assembly process, then so be it. These planes are cheap. Before you disagree, total up the parts and time required to scratch build one yourself (the only other option). Maybe the manufactures should be designating their kits AARF? ALMOST almost ready to fly.......
Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

Well said. I apply finishing epoxy on all the main ribs, firewall, tank area, and main structural areas of all my arfs before assembling. Some of the epoxy used at factory are real brittle and doesn't stick well. The hot glue is not made to last either. My WM Zero is 7 years old and still going strong. Flew it two weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31260.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1245975